Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is no 'isolating other players' really. There's always a 3rd fwd with them that contribute to the shot share stats that has to be taken into consideration.
There is actually 3 other players on with the isolated pair, but it helps see who rises and dips when certain players play together and apart. You can isolate 3 players if you like, 4 or even 5. IMO it is actually a really good way to see who plays well together and who drags someone down.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
For all the people who think Connor is a bum defensively he sure causes a lot of turnovers.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
ah, I don't think so -
Connor is no bruiser but he's bigger than Ehlers and he's able to compete in the thick of it while staying on his feet.
Both are lean and that helps them play the way they do - fast, quick and slippery.
Not a lot of fat on either one of them - KC is around 180 and Ehlers 170 - depending on how much faith you have in what is posted.
Lots of faith. T Poolman is still listed at 6'-1" and 195lbs.
He was that size rookie year in the USHL, like in 199? Or 2000+. Dude is taller than scheifele, side-by-side in workout clothes. And in tshirt/ shorts training camp dry land testing. Tucker was also thicker than Scheifele and his legs are bigger! UND junior season had him listed at 6' 3-1/2" and 215 lbs. He joined the Jets the next fall, 4 years ago.
Mark Scheifele us listed at: 6' 3", 207 lbs.
Believe if you wish. I choose "not to", on most posted sizes on their site.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For all the people who think Connor is a bum defensively he sure causes a lot of turnovers.
He is "engaging" z heck of alot more. He still needs to learn to press on opponent for a second or 2 when he rushes the defender to pass the puck off. This keeps opponents weary, aware of your presence even more so, but more importantly takes that player out of the play altogether giving yourself an opportunity to jumpback in the play ahead of the guy you just checked. His hand-eye coordination is winning out a little more, in disrupting passes. He is not a full bum, but needs better positioning coaching in own end. Far too often he lost in the f/o circle vicinity. Not far enough out to disrupt point man but too far out to affect corner boards, low down cycle opponents and/ or recovering on slot area abandoned by D man and centerman. I see him falling victim to lazy effort overall ( at times) in his own end, awaiting a "breakout offensive play". ( follows eye-test example of his usual linemates - 55/26, far too often). Maybe more like conserving energy, air for an O-breakout?

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Good stick with quick hands-eye coordination and quick feet. Just like centerman winning a faceoff though. "What is done, accomplished with that faceoff/ turnover afterwards?? Is the tell-tale outcome of any improvement.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
For me, Helly, KFC, Ehlers and Chef are our star players.
Wouldn’t trade any of them tbh.

KC gets alot of flack, but I really like his game in the Ozone, and he looks a little better in his own zone aswell.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lots of faith. T Poolman is still listed at 6'-1" and 195lbs.
He was that size rookie year in the USHL, like in 199? Or 2000+. Dude is taller than scheifele, side-by-side in workout clothes. And in tshirt/ shorts training camp dry land testing. Tucker was also thicker than Scheifele and his legs are bigger! UND junior season had him listed at 6' 3-1/2" and 215 lbs. He joined the Jets the next fall, 4 years ago.
Mark Scheifele us listed at: 6' 3", 207 lbs.
Believe if you wish. I choose "not to", on most posted sizes on their site.
I've liked Poolmans level of physical compete since we picked up Benn. If he can build on that I don't mind him in the lineup, but if he goes back to that buttery soft guy who doesn't really do anything well, he can sit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looking forward to some nitwit who just discovered that data exist telling me that Connor is replacement level.

Not HFJets posters, FYI.
oh they're still on HF. one was showing how he's the worst Jets fwd bc of one stat today.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowLefty

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
oh they're still on HF. one was showing how he's the worst Jets fwd in some stat today.
I think maybe you're just misinterpreting the meaning of those stats. His 4-game xGF% doesn't mean he's the worst...but he's scoring way above expectations in a small sample.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
After 10 games, Connor is:
  • 4th in the league in points with 16, behind Draisaitl, McDavid and Ovechkin
  • tied for 3rd in the league in goals with 8, with Kreider and McDavid, behind Draisaitl and Ovechkin
  • tied for 1st in even strength goals with 7, with Ovechkin and Killorn
  • tied for 3rd in even strength points with 11, with McDavid, and behind Draisaitl and Ovechkin
  • 1st in 5-on-5 goals with 6 (multiple players have 5, including Dubois)
  • tied for 1st in 5-on-5 points with 10, with Draisaitl and Ovechkin
  • 3rd in shots with 44, behind Ovechkin and McDavid
  • tied for 1st in 5-on-5 shots with 31, with Blake Coleman of Calgary
Connor's shooting percentage is 18.2%, only a little higher than his career 15.6%.

He has the Jets highest total xGF (7.92) and also the highest xGA (7.56) for an xGF% of 50.8%. In other words, both teams have been trading chances when Connor's on the ice.

His PDO is 1.066, which is high but only 3rd best on the team (Morrissey and Schmidt are higher), with both on-ice shooting percentage (12.5%) and save percentage (94.1%) in line for some regression over the longer term.

Connor's line is driving a lot of offense. Dubois is a perfect complement -- able to get to the net and protect the puck in traffic, opening up space and shooting angles. I'm really impressed with their forechecking, their ability to create off the rush and their ability to find dangerous chances off the cycle game. If the Jets can extend PLD long-term, they could be 2/3rds of a very effective 1st line for years to come.

Connor's 24, turning 25 in December. He's signed for 4 more years after this season, for $7.1M per year -- which is currently the 63rd highest cap hit in the league. That's a steal for what might be a 90-100 point player.

This is Connor's prime, and he's turned into an absolute peach of a hockey player. Super fun to watch, too. We're lucky to have him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
  • tied for 3rd in the league in goals with 8, with Kreider and McDavid, behind Draisaitl and Ovechkin
  • tied for 3rd in even strength points with 11, with McDavid, and behind Draisaitl and Ovechkin
Connor's shooting percentage is 18.2%, only a little higher than his career 15.6%.

He has the Jets highest total xGF (7.92) and also the highest xGA (7.56) for an xGF% of 50.8%. In other words, both teams have been trading chances when Connor's on the ice.

His PDO is 1.066, which is high but only 3rd best on the team (Morrissey and Schmidt are higher), with both on-ice shooting percentage (12.5%) and save percentage (94.1%) in line for some regression over the longer term.

Connor's line is driving a lot of offense. Dubois is a perfect complement -- able to get to the net and protect the puck in traffic, opening up space and shooting angles. I'm really impressed with their forechecking, their ability to create off the rush and their ability to find dangerous chances off the cycle game. If the Jets can extend PLD long-term, they could be 2/3rds of a very effective 1st line for years to come.

Connor's 24, turning 25 in December. He's signed for 4 more years after this season, for $7.1M per year -- which is currently the 63rd highest cap hit in the league. That's a steal for what might be a 90-100 point player.

This is Connor's prime, and he's turned into an absolute peach of a hockey player. Super fun to watch, too. We're lucky to have him.
Plus I bet you he plays less minutes than all those guys he’s competing with for scoring.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Just want to mention that he has done WAY better in this regard since he got paired up with PLD. Other than that, fully agreed on everything. Good writeup.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Connor is such a beast. Probably my second favourite player on the team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I love it when this thread is refreshed -
Talk about your ditch to ditch review of KC and his game -
It's fun to go back and read some of the stuff that has been posted on this guy - no punches were pulled.

Now he's back in the good books with many - as if he learned how to play D in the off season.

It's awesome that he's playing "better" hockey (especially D) - It's also awesome that we now have puck moving D core :sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I love it when this thread is refreshed -
Talk about your ditch to ditch review of KC and his game -
It's fun to go back and read some of the stuff that has been posted on this guy - no punches were pulled.

Now he's back in the good books with many - as if he learned how to play D in the off season.

It's awesome that he's playing "better" hockey (especially D) - It's also awesome that we now have puck moving D core :sarcasm:
To me, he's visually putting in more of an effort defensively through at least the neutral zone. But no doubt he's also helped by not playing with Wheeler and Scheifele, and also having D-men who can help him start breakouts with speed and the puck on his stick.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
To me, he's visually putting in more of an effort defensively through at least the neutral zone. But no doubt he's also helped by not playing with Wheeler and Scheifele, and also having D-men who can help him start breakouts with speed and the puck on his stick.

I agree - there has been more effort from KC.
Or it at least looks that way when you consider how more effective everything is when you can get something going off the rush rather than battling along the boards with apposing D men because the outlets were non existent.

I'd still contend that the big difference is based on how much more effective our D are at transitioning -
KC has never been a lazy player (although some have called him that in his end) - he will rely on those that are working down low, to retrieve pucks and turn it up ice - namely effective D men (and to some extent, the C).

In other words, most of the rattlings on his D game would likely have been much less noisy if we had better support in the areas that were the fundamental issue.

Reactions: KingBogo

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Or it at least looks that way when you consider how more effective everything is when you can get something going off the rush rather than battling along the boards with apposing D men because the outlets were non existent.

I'd still contend that the big difference is based on how much more effective our D are at transitioning -
KC has never been a lazy player (although some have called him that in his end) - he will rely on those that are working down low, to retrieve pucks and turn it up ice - namely effective D men (and to some extent, the C).

In other words, most of the rattlings on his D game would likely have been much less noisy if we had better support in the areas that were the fundamental issue.
That's why I specified through the neutral zone. He has been active on the backcheck in a way that he hasn't been previously. In the D-zone he'll obviously look better now that D-men can give him outlets.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's why I specified through the neutral zone. He has been active on the backcheck in a way that he hasn't been previously. In the D-zone he'll obviously look better now that D-men can give him outlets.

Valid points - I agree

If you look at last nights game (small sample), the team in general is working much better in the neutral zone - everyone seems to be coming back.
The complete scope of the jets game has changed (or is changing - not consistent yet) - they spend less time in their end, they don't burn half or more of a shift fighting puck battles on the walls - it's one and out for the opposition more often than we have seen in awhile.
This leaves everyone with more gas to do the things they know they are supposed to do - like back check.

I honestly feel that KC's game hasn't changed as much as some may think - but the teams game has - that's the major impact that is allowing these guys to play a 200 ft game.

One outlier that has been able to play in pretty much any situation (good or bad), is Ehlers.
His strength is in his ability to carry the puck out of trouble - regardless of what is taking place around him. Very few of the best players in the world have that ability.

I mention this only to kind of make a point - he's a tough act to benchmark our forwards against - especially when we didn't have the pcs in place on the blue line that most rely on when making those zone exits.
Under the circumstances (over the last couple of yrs), Ehlers made most of them look defensively inept when it was really about how dominating his game was without the support others might require.

I'm just happy the team is balancing out - it makes it so much easier to understand weaknesses and strengths without team deficiencies clouding the issue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah but it's funny that even with that puck moving dcore both Scheifele and Wheeler are still awful in terms of possession metrics.

At some point they need to actually stop just holding the puck on the perimeter in the offensive end and start generating more chances.

Reactions: FonRiesen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad