Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Since I keep talking about him in every thread, I thought I might as well bump this.

The sample size is growing, and his CF/60 is up over 14 since last year, his SCF/60 is up 9 from last year, and his HDCF/60 is up almost 8 from last year. These numbers are insane.

For reference, so far this season the difference between this year's KC and last year's (or last 4 years if you want) KC's impact on shot metrics, scoring chances, etc. is GREATER than the difference between 2 goals in 20 games rookie KC and 31 goals in 76 games sophomore KC.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Since I keep talking about him in every thread, I thought I might as well bump this.

The sample size is growing, and his CF/60 is up over 14 since last year, his SCF/60 is up 9 from last year, and his HDCF/60 is up almost 8 from last year. These numbers are insane.

For reference, so far this season the difference between this year's KC and last year's (or last 4 years if you want) KC's impact on shot metrics, scoring chances, etc. is GREATER than the difference between 2 goals in 20 games rookie KC and 31 goals in 76 games sophomore KC.

Yup he's turning into a chance driver which is terrific development.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

He's better than he has ever been offensively. And he was V good before :laugh:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I really think playing with Dubois has unlocked him offensively/possession wise.

Their game is so, so much more direct than CSW. It allows Connor to play freely and drive chances off the rush instead of the dipsy doodling waiting for the perfect opportunity CSW liked to do.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really think playing with Dubois has unlocked him offensively/possession wise.

Their game is so, so much more direct than CSW. It allows Connor to play freely and drive chances off the rush instead of the dipsy doodling waiting for the perfect opportunity CSW liked to do.
It only took like 3-4 years. But the end of CSW has been an absolute joy.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

He also looks more direct and engaged defensively to my eyes. I've seen him win more board battles this year and he seems to be in the right spot more consistently in our own zone. He will never be a defensive stalwart but every aspect of his game looks more purposeful.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He also looks more direct and engaged defensively to my eyes. I've seen him win more board battles this year and he seems to be in the right spot more consistently in our own zone. He will never be a defensive stalwart but every aspect of his game looks more purposeful.
he still kinda rates bad defensively, believe he's last in Jets fwd in xGA, and the RAPM doesn't like him. but i do think the effort is there.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
he still kinda rates bad defensively, believe he's last in Jets fwd in xGA, and the RAPM doesn't like him. but i do think the effort is there.

One huge thing imo is he's looked better in transition to me. He's always had big problems getting the puck out of our zone and seems better at it this year (which is also obviously linemate dependent).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Those YOY numbers are insane - thanks for sharing.
There's been lots of discussion on the "whys" but there is no doubt that it is incredible to watch a player make a jump like this one season to the next.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great share @Romang67

It seems like Connor came out of the gates as the Alpha from opening puck drop this season even when he was with his old like mates. One thing is for sure, Kyle and PLD have been outstanding together and the KFC is no longer deferring he is for sure the man now.

Love that he took that big step to more than just a high end finisher. Its also good this system allows him to get back to his speed fore check because that was always one of his strengths before we abandon that part of our game by design.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Also interesting to read Dom in the Athletic's comments on the weekly power ranking today as Winnipeg continues to move up.

Dom: We had a bit planned where the Jets would remain 13th forever. That bit died last week and apparently will not be resurrected, as we now have them 11th. We’re high-key mad about it, but the sad reality is that the Jets are slowly earning more and more respect for their play. They have an actually above-average expected goals rate for once, and with their shooting and goaltending talent that’s enough to look dominant at five-on-five. Kyle Connor has jumped to a new level, Pierre-Luc Dubois is back to looking like a star in the making and Josh Morrissey has bounced back to being a capable top-pairing defender. Once Mark Scheifele lives up to his outsized reputation, this team could be really scary.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Is Connor a top 20 player in the league?

He's certainly looking like it right now, and maybe Top 10 --we'll see how the season plays out , but I believe right now, he's # 1 in scoring 5 on 5 in the NHL, and for total points overall he's in the top 6 in the NHL, and he looks hungry, and driving the play. This was last time I looked, about 5-6 days ago.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah seems his model now likes Conner, Dubois and Morrissey. It still doesn't like Scheifele.

Scheifele is not near the player he was last year ? You don't notice him that much out there, like in previous seasons. I was thinking he may be adjusting to the fact that PLD has taken over his limelight, and he's having a hard time psychologically handling that.

In the long run, good players always bounce back, and I expect Scheifele to do this as well -- I hope. We need him to be dominate out there, and a play driver, like the last 3-4 seasons. Hope he gets his act together.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Also interesting to read Dom in the Athletic's comments on the weekly power ranking today as Winnipeg continues to move up.
“high-key mad”
“sad reality”
Calling Scheifele’s reputation “outsized.”

Not much of a Jets fan, eh? :laugh:

Seems like we’ve figured out why he was whining about McDavid not drawing penalties in the playoffs last year.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
“high-key mad”
“sad reality”

Seems like we’ve figured out why he was whining about McDavid not drawing penalties in the playoffs last year.
Dom's model has notoriously hated the Jets and in particular Scheifele for quite some time lol. It highly values xGF, corsi etc. and the Jets have not been good at that.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's playing to the crowd
“high-key mad”
“sad reality”

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
I'm glad he is not playing with 55 any more. 81 had to do most of the forecheck so that line could setup to cycle. It was always forget the rush, chip and setup...

He was just playing the game the coaches and his previous line mates wanted and now he is actually playing a style that suits his skills.

Reactions: LowLefty

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
“high-key mad”
“sad reality”

I don’t think Dom has an anti Jets agenda it’s just he does lean heavily on his model which doesn’t like the old us. Over the last two seasons the Jets were model busters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad