Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

The only thing Kyle doesn't have that LaFleur had is that long hair flying back in the breeze as he was streaking down the wing. (great hair) Connor wears a helmet though. I'm not sure if Kyle has that slapper from 25 feet out like Guy had, but I'd sure like to see if he does. Can't beat Connor in close though--"he's the best.":)
He was actually pretty thin on top. This guy had the hair.

derek-sanderson-1973-325.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey guys, just curious on your opinions about Connor. He started out great but has been ice cold lately, had he been pushed down the lineup, dealing with an injury or something?

Good luck this year fellas.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Connor with 40 goals
Scheifele and Ehlers close to 40

And Laine 50+

Not bad......

I wouldn't pick anyone other than Laine to finish ahead of Bambi in goals.
I think either Connor or Ehlers only get to 30 or so based on the lines.
i.e. they likely can't both produce at that rate (unless Ehlers and Connor each pick up their PP goal production).

But hey 4 guys over 30 would be pretty sweet.
I remember when having 1 was a big deal for our team.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hey guys, just curious on your opinions about Connor. He started out great but has been ice cold lately, had he been pushed down the lineup, dealing with an injury or something?

Good luck this year fellas.

The coaches flipped Ehlers and Connor.
This move got Ehlers totally going and also improved the top lines over all performance.
When the move took place the new second line with Connor-Little-Laine was on fire.
Laine cooled off and that is a major factor in the output of the line.
Connor also has not looked as effective, likely just a young player going through ups and downs.

One other major factor is that Maurice seems to play the 3rd D pair A LOT with this group.
To my eyes if C-L-L are out with Kulikov and Myers they seem to spend most of their shifts buried in their end. When they get out with the other 2 D pairs they seem to have more O and neutral zone time and create more chances.

If either Laine or Connor get hot then we likely see this line explode again.
For now we wait... and hope.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
In my humble opinion the main difference in the 2nd line is Connor.
Little has played pretty consistently through the hot and now "cold" streaks.
Laine has the biggest variance of any player in the NHL largely based on where his confidence is at in that moment.

For me Connor's effort has not changed and he's playing fast.
However the effectiveness of his play has decreased.
When the line was formed Connor was simply dominant.
Whether it was carrying the puck in or retrieving his own dump ins he was driving play and possession. When he was doing this Little's talents shone through as the two of them were having a lot of success controlling the puck in the o-zone. They seemed to be able to get a lot of time and space and create opportunities to get Laine the puck. Laine was doing a better job of supporting that (confidence up) and we saw the results.

Over the last number of games Connor has almost none of those impressive shifts where he really just dominated. On his zone entries he's being massively pressured and is not able to maintain or sustain possession and pressure.

Are teams playing him differently? Maybe.
But that shouldn't be enough to explain the drop off.
I've mentioned the separation that the 3 forwards sometimes have with each other.
Connor is often ahead of the team and attacking without support which leads to him often being engaged by 2 defenders.
Is Connor's confidence down, maybe slightly?
Either way the small but super important difference between hot Connor and "cold" Connor is enough to really affect the output of the second line.
An additional pain point this creates is more d-zone time which is where the 2 youngsters don't look as good.

THE FIX

Likely as simple as a confidence boost.
If Laine got hot the residual affect would likely propel Connor back to the top of his game.
I do wonder if Connor has a really slight nagging injury.
Nothing to prevent him from playing but maybe just enough to slow him down a fraction, which was the difference of him dangling around people and winning all the battles to being more even with the D and losing said battles.

The other immediate fix would be to lessen the amount of time they are paired with Myers and Kuli as that 5-man group has mainly looked bad together (recently).

Only Connor can know what from above is the case.
Hopefully C-L-L will break out soon.
Cause 2 first lines is better then 1

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Was at the game vs Flames and I thought Little’s line was more dangerous than they have been. To me it looks like they are turning it around a bit.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Was at the game vs Flames and I thought Little’s line was more dangerous than they have been. To me it looks like they are turning it around a bit.

I hope that Roslovic gets an opportunity on the Connor/Laine line. Little is great defensively but doesn't have that scoring mentality. He has so many opportunities to pot a goal and fails so often.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I hope that Roslovic gets an opportunity on the Connor/Laine line. Little is great defensively but doesn't have that scoring mentality. He has so many opportunities to pot a goal and fails so often.
Little had 2 golden chances against flames.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He should be spending some time on the 4th line considering his play. Every other Jets winger other than Wheeler has spent time there (including top-6'rs like Perreault, Ehlers and Laine). Not sure why the only place for Connor in Maurice's eyes seems to be the 1st or 2nd line.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He should be spending some time on the 4th line considering his play. Every other Jets winger other than Wheeler has spent time there (including top-6'rs like Perreault, Ehlers and Laine). Not sure why the only place for Connor in Maurice's eyes seems to be the 1st or 2nd line.

Do you mean as punishment?
Or is there something he needs to pick up on that the 4th can help him with (like work ethic, fundamentals, grind)?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
In my humble opinion the main difference in the 2nd line is Connor.
Little has played pretty consistently through the hot and now "cold" streaks.
Laine has the biggest variance of any player in the NHL largely based on where his confidence is at in that moment.

For me Connor's effort has not changed and he's playing fast.
However the effectiveness of his play has decreased.
When the line was formed Connor was simply dominant.
Whether it was carrying the puck in or retrieving his own dump ins he was driving play and possession. When he was doing this Little's talents shone through as the two of them were having a lot of success controlling the puck in the o-zone. They seemed to be able to get a lot of time and space and create opportunities to get Laine the puck. Laine was doing a better job of supporting that (confidence up) and we saw the results.

Over the last number of games Connor has almost none of those impressive shifts where he really just dominated. On his zone entries he's being massively pressured and is not able to maintain or sustain possession and pressure.

Are teams playing him differently? Maybe.
But that shouldn't be enough to explain the drop off.
I've mentioned the separation that the 3 forwards sometimes have with each other.
Connor is often ahead of the team and attacking without support which leads to him often being engaged by 2 defenders.
Is Connor's confidence down, maybe slightly?
Either way the small but super important difference between hot Connor and "cold" Connor is enough to really affect the output of the second line.
An additional pain point this creates is more d-zone time which is where the 2 youngsters don't look as good.

THE FIX

Likely as simple as a confidence boost.
If Laine got hot the residual affect would likely propel Connor back to the top of his game.
I do wonder if Connor has a really slight nagging injury.
Nothing to prevent him from playing but maybe just enough to slow him down a fraction, which was the difference of him dangling around people and winning all the battles to being more even with the D and losing said battles.

The other immediate fix would be to lessen the amount of time they are paired with Myers and Kuli as that 5-man group has mainly looked bad together (recently).

Only Connor can know what from above is the case.
Hopefully C-L-L will break out soon.
Cause 2 first lines is better then 1

Connor has not looked the same after missing out on the hat trick. His nerves came into play when he had the open net for his third goal and he’s not been effective at all ever since. I really think it shot his confidence. He’ll pick it up soon enough, just like Ehlers did.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
what exactly has roslovic shown offensively. he gets no scoring opportunities at all. connor might be coming to join him on the 4th line soon.

Reactions: sipowicz

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Well Roslovic has been up and down as a 4th line center so I don’t know why you think him taking on tougher competition would necessarily work.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Especially as Connor seems like the perfect fit with Roslovic. For secondary scoring.

Easy to move Ehlers back with the top line. Perreault into the Johnny hustle spot, and playmaker that Laine needs. A guy far more confident with the puck right now.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Especially as Connor seems like the perfect fit with Roslovic. For secondary scoring.

Easy to move Ehlers back with the top line. Perreault into the Johnny hustle spot, and playmaker that Laine needs. A guy far more confident with the puck right now.

Connor's brief stint on the 4th line last year was actually a nice revelation.
He created some goals from that spot and found himself back on the top line quite quickly.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Connor seems to be in a rut lately, and the same thing happened to Ehlers when he was on that 2nd line. Now Ehlers has turned it around, and is doing great on the 1st line.I think these young guys play better with veteran leadership to lead them. I hope Connor can snap out of it, and start scoring again.

Reactions: KB1971

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I thought the last few games his defensive struggles have been quite noticeable. Tonight they were pretty glaring at times. Some of the decisions he makes with the puck in his own end are mind boggling.

Reactions: surixon and hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad