Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Connor's ability to get to loose pucks, win battles along the wall and flat out beat players to open areas and create scoring opportunities is so impressive.

What a draft pick.

I remember how excited I was for that pick, and then he had his MONSTER NCAA season... then we drafted Laine, and some fans forgot a bit about how good of a prospect Connor was.

Glad he's reminding everyone how much talent he has, what a great season from Connor.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Has it been discussed? I feel that Connor should challenge himself to become a penalty killer. With his speed, ability to get his stick between passes, and scoring abilities, he would give the penalty kill a different dimension. I hope it’s something he discusses with the coaching staff for him to work on during the summer.

With Minnesota’s injured defence, he may be able to be a threat in the Jets PK.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I agree with a lot of this. What really impresses me about Connor is his forecheck, cycle play and how deadly he is in close to the goal compared to how "small" he still is. He uses his size better than Nikky. If we only look at pre NHL numbers though, they look like equal goal scoring talents but I think they score in different ways. Connor is better at sneaking into open pockets like a traditional shooter whereas Nikky creates a lot of his own goals. I actually think Nikky's back check is on par with Connor (imo it's what he has improved the most this season). But agree on Connor's floor being a bit higher. I mostly think that is a result of Connor playing with less risk in his game. Nikky's creativity does cost turnovers at times but it also draws a bunch of penalties and makes him one of the best at zone entries in the league. Looks like Connor is starting to figure out how to use his speed too but I think he is still behind in that facet. We could easily have two top 5 zone entry guys in the league at some point which is very exciting to me!
Connor’s father [from looking at pictures ]is a big burly man he will fill out and it will help his overall game. The corners and dirty spots he is getting to now with speed alone will be attacked with strength and speed in the future.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
For all we know, Maurice wanted KC up all along but for whatever reason, Chevy sent him down?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who does O'Connor remind you of as an offensive player/goal scorer?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Great sniper that Connor is -- if he gets within 3- 15 feet to the net with a good scoring chance, usually it turns the light on. Very quick release as well, to go with his soft hands, and I think he'll score in the 35 -38 goal range, maybe even hit 40. He's a real winner for the Jets.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He reminds me a bit of Guy LaFleur.

The only thing Kyle doesn't have that LaFleur had is that long hair flying back in the breeze as he was streaking down the wing. (great hair) Connor wears a helmet though. I'm not sure if Kyle has that slapper from 25 feet out like Guy had, but I'd sure like to see if he does. Can't beat Connor in close though--"he's the best.":)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Who does O'Connor remind you of as an offensive player/goal scorer?

Just throwing this out there but he reminds me a bunch of a young Mike Modano, similarities in skating styles and speed, strong on his skates, make plays at very high speeds, both Americans

Now Modano developed in to one of the best in the game, and evolved his game to become a very good two way player, hopefully Connor does the same. He is on the right track.

He has all the physical tools Modano had.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He still might be a 32 goal scorer. Kid has had a great season, and many years would be the Calder favorite.

Not only that but I thought he completely outplayed both more highly regarded Laine and Ehlers in the PO’s last season!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not only that but I thought he completely outplayed both more highly regarded Laine and Ehlers in the PO’s last season!

You sir totally are the most original, I have to say. To me Connor faded away in PO, but what to expect from a young guy playing his first playoffs?

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You sir totally are the most original, I have to say. To me Connor faded away in PO, but what to expect from a young guy playing his first playoffs?

Sure he faded, so did the rest of the team, three year NHL Pro Ehlers didn’t even show up for the PO’s for the Jets and Laine checked out after the Minny series!

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Sure he faded, so did the rest of the team, three year NHL Pro Ehlers didn’t even show up for the PO’s for the Jets and Laine checked out after the Minny series!

We agree mostly, though not on Laine checking out after Minny series. He was targetet maybe most of all the Jets and still he managed to put up quite good numbers. If he only had been able to convert at least three of his many goal posts into goals, everyone should be raving about his play. +4 on 5-on-5 game anyway, and relatively really good corsi for him, which usually means a lot of goals.

Also Ehlers played better D than he usually does, but yeah, 7 assists and no goals surely isn't what you expect from Ehlers.

Both Connor's line mates made exactly double the amount of points, and were relatively better at defending (though still not very good).

Anyway, I expect all these three youngsters to play even better PO next time. And hope that Ehlers and Laine do not catch that "upper body malaise" which visibly did affect them against Vegas.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad