Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Kyle Connor should finish 2nd in rookie of the year voting. Would love to see him win it, but Barzal sealed that one up a while ago

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree with a lot of this. What really impresses me about Connor is his forecheck, cycle play and how deadly he is in close to the goal compared to how "small" he still is. He uses his size better than Nikky. If we only look at pre NHL numbers though, they look like equal goal scoring talents but I think they score in different ways. Connor is better at sneaking into open pockets like a traditional shooter whereas Nikky creates a lot of his own goals. I actually think Nikky's back check is on par with Connor (imo it's what he has improved the most this season). But agree on Connor's floor being a bit higher. I mostly think that is a result of Connor playing with less risk in his game. Nikky's creativity does cost turnovers at times but it also draws a bunch of penalties and makes him one of the best at zone entries in the league. Looks like Connor is starting to figure out how to use his speed too but I think he is still behind in that facet. We could easily have two top 5 zone entry guys in the league at some point which is very exciting to me!

Great post here by the Dane, and I agree with it. Connor has that way of finding those little open spaces close to the net, and he doesn't need much room, and "bang" the puck is in the back of the net. He will give Goalies nightmares in the future, and does so even now. Be interesting to see his shot from 25-30 feet out ?? Connor is more of a pure goal scorer than Nik.

Ehler's is the more creative type player, and is the Jet's best entry man, to access the offensive zone, and then make some real nice plays, or score a ripping slap shot, or a fancy toe drag shot into the opposing net. Ehler's also is more of a zig zag player, and is all over the ice, where Connor is more of a north south type player. I would also think Ehler's has the better shot from a distance away. We'll have to see ??

I'd say they both bring about "equal value" to the Jets, and they both have their unique skill sets they bring to the game. We're lucky to have them both, as I think it makes it a lot harder to defend against guys that have different skill sets.

I'm not so sure that Ehlers is that much faster than Connor though--it be very very close, as they are both blazing fast. It appears Ehlers is faster because he leads those end to end rushes with a full head of speed, and that "accentuates" his speed. If they were both in full stride, it be a very close race I think.

Where Ehlers would be faster-- is out of the hole, in those first 2 or 3 steps, and that would give him an edge in a race. It would be interesting to know what times both of them posted in the speed competition the Jet's have every year. I think Ehlers would have posted a little faster of a time-- "but not by much" I think at best he would have maybe a 1/2 a step on Connor ??

The Jet's have a bright future with these 2 guys, and Laine as well !!! :thumbu:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What a luxurious life we lead, when we're hand-wringing over debates about which still-yet-to-hit-their-prime superstar stud is better between the 3 or 4 that we have? :P

How many teams out there don't even have ONE player that is "merely" as good as Connor or Ehlers or Laine or Schiefele -- nevermind that we have all four!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Great post here by the Dane, and I agree with it. Connor has that way of finding those little open spaces close to the net, and he doesn't need much room, and "bang" the puck is in the back of the net. He will give Goalies nightmares in the future, and does so even now. Be interesting to see his shot from 25-30 feet out ?? Connor is more of a pure goal scorer than Nik.

Ehler's is the more creative type player, and is the Jet's best entry man, to access the offensive zone, and then make some real nice plays, or score a ripping slap shot, or a fancy toe drag shot into the opposing net. Ehler's also is more of a zig zag player, and is all over the ice, where Connor is more of a north south type player. I would also think Ehler's has the better shot from a distance away. We'll have to see ??

I'd say they both bring about "equal value" to the Jets, and they both have their unique skill sets they bring to the game. We're lucky to have them both, as I think it makes it a lot harder to defend against guys that have different skill sets.

I'm not so sure that Ehlers is that much faster than Connor though--it be very very close, as they are both blazing fast. It appears Ehlers is faster because he leads those end to end rushes with a full head of speed, and that "accentuates" his speed. If they were both in full stride, it be a very close race I think.

Where Ehlers would be faster-- is out of the hole, in those first 2 or 3 steps, and that would give him an edge in a race. It would be interesting to know what times both of them posted in the speed competition the Jet's have every year. I think Ehlers would have posted a little faster of a time-- "but not by much" I think at best he would have maybe a 1/2 a step on Connor ??

The Jet's have a bright future with these 2 guys, and Laine as well !!! :thumbu:

Also a good post.

Apart from young and fast, I think we have 2 very different players here. I think Connor has a bit of an edge as a forechecker and scoring in tight. I give Niko the edge in speed, creativity and backchecking. If Ehlers can ever learn to score on breakaways he is going to be something else. :laugh:

I tend to like and enjoy Ehlers more but I think they will be about equal in impact and value. Both have a lot more potential. That has to scare the rest of the league.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If he can be has at the Viktor Arvidsson type contract that'd be immense

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Kyle gets his 30th goal of the year and no parade for him here?

Ever since I watched him in his freshman year in the NCAA I knew this kid was something special.

We should thank the Bruins for passing on him 3 times at the 2015 draft.I'll send them a muffin basket tomorrow.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Ever since I watched him in his freshman year in the NCAA I knew this kid was something special.

We should thank the Bruins for passing on him 3 times at the 2015 draft.I'll send them a muffin basket tomorrow.
The goal went to Perrault Connor will get an official 30th soon enough.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Also a good post.

Apart from young and fast, I think we have 2 very different players here. I think Connor has a bit of an edge as a forechecker and scoring in tight. I give Niko the edge in speed, creativity and backchecking. If Ehlers can learn to score on breakaways he is going to be something else. :laugh:

I tend to like and enjoy Ehlers more but I think they will be about equal in impact and value. Both have a lot more potential. That has to scare the rest of the league.

Your so very right about that Mort, and I hope he's practicing his "in tight" moves when he's right in on the Goaltender, and comes up with some new moves. He has the speed and creativity, to come up with a variety of moves that will increase his scoring production on breakaways--and I'm sure he will. I would think he's well aware of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012

The Islanders should have send the Bruins a thank you basket for passing on Barzal three times as well
Amazing that Bruins could had DeBrusck + Barzal + Conner with those three picks instead of choosing DeBrusck and two other draft picks that haven’t sniff a spot with the Bruins.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The Islanders should have send the Bruins a thank you basket for passing on Barzal three times as well
Amazing that Bruins could had DeBrusck + Barzal + Conner with those three picks instead of choosing DeBrusck and two other draft picks that haven’t sniff a spot with the Bruins.
Bruins would be a dream team. Oh well always a risk.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Islanders should have send them a thank you basket for passing on Barzal three times as well

I guess the Bruins should "revamp" their scouting personnel !!!

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
The goal went to Perrault Connor will get an official 30th soon enough.

I missed the game and was mobile all night.I was wondering why NHL.com had him at 29 goals still.

I hate to say this but I think Barzal would have been a better pick for us.Could you imagine a line of Ehlers/Barzal/Laine for the next 10 years?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Ohh man, main boards are something else.. Connor's rookie points are meaningless because he's on a good team and Barzal's rookie points are meaningless because he's on a bad team :monkey:

I sincerely hope it's different people making those arguments.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
I am more excited about Connor and Morrissey than any other young Jets players for the long term. Smarts and great skating, two really important attributes for long careers.
Connor anticipates plays, keeps plays alive and follows his shot as well as anyone in the league, he is just so smart. Just like Morrissey, there is an efficiency to Connor's game.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Up to about two weeks ago, there were some posters on HF Jets who did not put Kyle Connor in their preferred future core of this Jets team. Most of those posters put Lowry in instead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad