Kyle Connor one of most underrated players?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I honestly think he’s more overrated than underrated. He’s an offense first PPG winger that plays with Scheifele and Wheeler. Two better players. Meanwhile Ehlers is putting up the same numbers while not having the same opportunities as Connor and is seen as worse than Connor when he’s a more valuable player overall. Thread should be about Ehlers instead

Why should it be held against Connor that he gets to play on the first line? He produces there and is one of the best goal scorers in the league. Ehlers tends to produce with who he plays with as well resulting in a more balanced lineup.

Reactions: Dale53130

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Connor is a great player but I actually think he is a tad overrated. He was just rated 40th on NHL Network's top 50 players. That seems a bit high for me. He's great offensively but his defensive play is severely lacking, and his point totals are certainly inflated by playing on such a high octane offensive team.

Actually the past couple years Ehlers has been in the media shadow of Connor due to points and stat watchers, even though Connor gets way more opportunities.
Both are probably underrated leaguewide though since Winnipeg is relatively under the radar.

Ehlers is incredibly underrated. I have him above Connor quite easily. Much better play driver.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Yes 100%. He makes the Bruins draft so so much worse. 3 literal star players and they missed on all of em.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I honestly think he’s more overrated than underrated. He’s an offense first PPG winger that plays with Scheifele and Wheeler. Two better players. Meanwhile Ehlers is putting up the same numbers while not having the same opportunities as Connor and is seen as worse than Connor when he’s a more valuable player overall. Thread should be about Ehlers instead

Yep. Connor is one of the worst defensive players in the league. He gets a lot of points, but there's no universe where he's "underrated". He's what people (derisively) thought Toronto Phil Kessel was. If anything Connor is overrated.

Ehlers is actually underrated.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Well before you tell me he's underrated... what do more people think of him?
He's surely top 5 in the league at his position.
I’d have to look at a list but I can’t imagine there aren’t at least 5 better players (do you mean wing or his specific side?)

I’d more likely call him top-5 one-dimensional player before calling him a top 5 at his position

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
honestly one of my favorite players to watch offensively

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Jet fan I'd say that Connor is the most gifted goal scorer on the team but he is only the 5th best player on the Jets.

Helle
Scheifele
Ehlers
Wheeler
Connor.

This might be the year that Wheeler falls hard and is no longer a top 6 winger thus Connor moving up but since he was still almost a PPG player last season while playing with cracked ribs most of the season I will keep Wheeler above Connor until he proves he no longer belongs there.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
As a Jet fan I'd say that Connor is the most gifted goal scorer on the team but he is only the 5th best player on the Jets.

Helle
Scheifele
Ehlers
Wheeler
Connor.

This might be the year that Wheeler falls hard and is no longer a top 6 winger thus Connor moving up but since he was still almost a PPG player last season while playing with cracked ribs most of the season I will keep Wheeler above Connor until he proves he no longer belongs there.
I know the rule of C before W but the way Ehlers game has been evolving, I can see him as the best FWD.

Reactions: GreenLine and hn777

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I know the rule of C before W but the way Ehlers game has been evolving, I can see him as the best FWD.

TBH I agree that Ehlers is perhaps the best forward on the team but because Scheifele is a C I put him a head.

I think a better way of putting this would be that Ehlers is the best forward on the team but Scheifele is the more important one.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
TBH I agree that Ehlers is perhaps the best forward on the team but because Scheifele is a C I put him a head.

I think a better way of putting this would be that Ehlers is the best forward on the team but Scheifele is the more important one.
I like this post!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I’d have to look at a list but I can’t imagine there aren’t at least 5 better players (do you mean wing or his specific side?)

I’d more likely call him top-5 one-dimensional player before calling him a top 5 at his position
I mean on his side.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well before you tell me he's underrated... what do more people think of him?
He's surely top 5 in the league at his position.

Naah, he's not even the best LW on his team.

Panarin
Marchand
Gaudreau
Ehlers
Huberdeau
Kaprizov
Guentzel
Ovechkin

He's probably anywhere from 9-12 among LW's.

Reactions: hn777 and Chips

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I mean on his side.

Naah, he's not even the best LW on his team.

Panarin
Marchand
Gaudreau
Ehlers
Huberdeau
Kaprizov
Guentzel
Ovechkin

He's probably anywhere from 9-12 among LW's.

*Landeskog. Similar points and underrated defensively (he and MacK both are, it’s a big reason they and the Marchand-Bergeron line are always competing for “best line in hockey”

tkachuk is arguable, he had a down year but similar offensive numbers previously and I can’t imagine he’s a black hole on defense (Idk his stats there tho)

*max pacioretty, better numbers and is generally considered to be good defensively (scores those points on a team devoid of true top talent center, and eh powerplay)

If you wanna call points even instead of goals x 2 you can throw palat in the conversation at least for shits and giggles since he too plays defense, no black hole absorbing the impact of the points he contributes (consider the playoffs, what is Connor doing when his team inevitably doesn’t have the puck? Palat was a huge part of the cup win a couple seasons ago and consistently a big piece of their previous runs even if he had a sort of down year )

my picks

(no order)
Panarin
Marchand
Landeskog
Pacioretty (scored nearly same goals in less games, plays defense)
Huberdeau

HM Ovechkin even if we’re including more one dimensional players because at an older age he scored about as well, in a tougher division, as Connor.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
*Landeskog. Similar points and underrated defensively (he and MacK both are, it’s a big reason they and the Marchand-Bergeron line are always competing for “best line in hockey”

tkachuk is arguable, he had a down year but similar offensive numbers previously and I can’t imagine he’s a black hole on defense (Idk his stats there tho)

*max pacioretty, better numbers and is generally considered to be good defensively (scores those points on a team devoid of true top talent center, and eh powerplay)

If you wanna call points even instead of goals x 2 you can throw palat in the conversation at least for shits and giggles since he too plays defense, no black hole absorbing the impact of the points he contributes (consider the playoffs, what is Connor doing when his team inevitably doesn’t have the puck? Palat was a huge part of the cup win a couple seasons ago and consistently a big piece of their previous runs even if he had a sort of down year )

my picks

(no order)
Panarin
Marchand
Landeskog
Pacioretty (scored nearly same goals in less games, plays defense)
Huberdeau

HM Ovechkin even if we’re including more one dimensional players because at an older age he scored about as well, in a tougher division, as Connor.

I didn't watch many aves games last year. Sadly 90% of the games I watched were in the Canadian division.
That being said, after Lando resigned, there were talking heads in Canada suggesting that he's slowing down already.
Is that a thing? Because if it is I think Lando needs to be taken out of here.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
I don't think Connor is "underrated" so much as he plays for a team that's in one of the smaller markets in Canada. People know he's a pretty good scorer, they just don't care.

Reactions: swiftwin and Dache
Nov 24, 2006
He’s kind of an empty player. Super fast, great finishing but one of the worst defensive players in hockey. He scores enough to be valuable but he is a rich mans mike Hoffman
I like him as a Jets fan, but I kind of agree. I don’t think he’s one of the worst defensive players though, but he’s definitely not good.

Nice player to have but in the end, he’s rated just fine.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I didn't watch many aves games last year. Sadly 90% of the games I watched were in the Canadian division.
That being said, after Lando resigned, there were talking heads in Canada suggesting that he's slowing down already.
Is that a thing? Because if it is I think Lando needs to be taken out of here.
I always assumed he picked up the defensive slack of MacK and Rantanen which means he’d be further back and he’s not the fastest player; he plays a style that can wear on players sooner but imo he still very much belongs on the top line, I can see what they were saying if they were concerned with the length of the deal but he’s worth the money now. All of that still doesn’t get into “intangibles”, he is by all accounts a great leader hence he was made captain super young

that’s another reason I’d think Tkachuk is in the convo, he had an eh season but Canadian media can blow things up w hockey, and he is young in fairness he’ll mature but that’s got to be an uncomfortable situation with how that team routinely underperforms, and it’s unclear what managements plan is exactly; I’d sacrifice some points for a more rounded player who’s good in the room for when the games really count

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I like him as a Jets fan, but I kind of agree. I don’t think he’s one of the worst defensive players though, but he’s definitely not good.

Nice player to have but in the end, he’s rated just fine.

jack Fraser has him in the 1st percentile of defensive players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad