Kyle Connor one of most underrated players?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Always kind of has been.

Who can ever forget the clowns at USA Hockey leaving him off the WJC team as he was leading the country in scoring and finishing runner up for the Hobey Baker as a freshman.

The most ridiculous WJC snub of all time.

It really pissed Connor off as well and he went off on the NCAA for the remainder of the season if I remember correct

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
underrated? not sure about that. He was ranked pretty highly this past off-season. he was ranked 12 best overall winger by nhl.com, that plenty of recognition by a mainstream outlet.

his offensive game is top-notch, although he has been put in a very advantageous to succeed..... his defensive game is absolutely brutal, and the Jets give up more shots/chances/goals when he's on the ice than what he produces (at 5v5). Is it all on him? no, but the top-line often is on the positive end w/o him, while still maintaining a strong Goals For rate.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
lol he's listed on most people's top line for Team USA. What would make him properly rated? Having him rated with McDavid and Mackinnon?

I wish there was a thread filter that blocked threads with the word "underrated" in them. So many people trying to be the guy who knows better.

Reactions: swiftwin

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Without Laine he's the #1 shooting option on PP1 for the Jets now. Should score 40 most seasons and push 50 a couple seasons

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
lol he's listed on most people's top line for Team USA. What would make him properly rated? Having him rated with McDavid and Mackinnon?

I wish there was a thread filter that blocked threads with the word "underrated" in them. So many people trying to be the guy who knows better.

Probably people leaving him out of their 2015 redrafts. He's definitely closer to Barzal and Rantanen than he is to Boeser and Konecny

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He's basically a slightly bigger version of Kessel with a slightly better shot, but not as good playmaking (prime Phil was pretty underrated in this regard).

Pretty awesome player for sure, but just a cut below franchise type in my mind. I think most hockey fans rate him right around where he should be.

Reactions: Flair Hay

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Actually the past couple years Ehlers has been in the media shadow of Connor due to points and stat watchers, even though Connor gets way more opportunities.
Both are probably underrated leaguewide though since Winnipeg is relatively under the radar.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's an extremely talented goal scorer.

His defensive results have been really bad for years though. Ehlers is an analytics darling while Connor is the opposite of that. So I personally wouldn't consider him underrated.

Having said that I think Maurice is a terrible coach and its possible his underlying numbers would be better on a different team. But I think its evident he could stand to improve defensively.
His defense always stands out to me whenever they play the Rangers (in a bad way).

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

So you wish you couldn’t see any threads with the word underrated in them but then click on one to post in it?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One of the best scorers in the NHL.
Him and Barzal were the guys I wanted in 2015 before Calgary traded their first for Dougie.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I honestly think he’s more overrated than underrated. He’s an offense first PPG winger that plays with Scheifele and Wheeler. Two better players. Meanwhile Ehlers is putting up the same numbers while not having the same opportunities as Connor and is seen as worse than Connor when he’s a more valuable player overall. Thread should be about Ehlers instead

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He is an underrated and awesome player. It was always amazing the praise Laine used to get while everyone ignores Connor. All Connor does is produce consistantly every single year. His number get better every year and I am expecting a huge year from him this season.

As a Wings fan it was incredibly painful watching him fall in the draft to 2 spots above where Detroit was going to pick. There is zero doubt in my mind had he fallen to 19th Detroit would have taken him.
Holland should have tried to trade up but he never does that.

Sigh the dream of having him and Larkin playing together will probably never happen.

Reactions: Dale53130

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Probably people leaving him out of their 2015 redrafts. He's definitely closer to Barzal and Rantanen than he is to Boeser and Konecny
Truth. My Devils taking Zacha where they did still to this day drives me insane . When people list the players we passed on they usually list Barzal and Rantanen however as wanted Connor and was soooooo pissed when we took Zacha instead.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well before you tell me he's underrated... what do more people think of him?
He's surely top 5 in the league at his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad