Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018

This guy could score 40 this year.
Skill, speed and work ethic

How much do you think Connor will be worth?
The team is getting maximum return on this guy. His ELC just started this past season. He was NHL ready a year before that. Now the Jets get to enjoy a full 3 years on the cheap while they have a championship window opening.

This guy plays the game the right way amirite?

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

This guy could score 40 this year.
Skill, speed and work ethic

How much do you think Connor will be worth?
The team is getting maximum return on this guy. His ELC just started this past season. He was NHL ready a year before that. Now the Jets get to enjoy a full 3 years on the cheap while they have a championship window opening.

This guy plays the game the right way amirite?

His ELC started 2016-17 season, only 1 year left

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
If he continues his development curve, Connor is a Franchise player on 20-25 teams in the league.

Jets need to strike now because all Chevy's draft hits are gonna break the bank. something will have to give. I don't know who we trade, but it's gonna hurt.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Connor will probably get a two year bridge deal coming off his ELC. After that he may get traded. A lot can change cap wise in 3 years though so it may be possible he could be retained. I’d be for moving him down the lineup and putting someone else with Scheifele and wheeler to see if he can drive a line with less help.

Reactions: Trilliann

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If he continues his development curve, Connor is a Franchise player on 20-25 teams in the league.

Jets need to strike now because all Chevy's draft hits are gonna break the bank. something will have to give. I don't know who we trade, but it's gonna hurt.
I can’t believe after all those tough years we are finally in a situation where we have too much talent. It’s awesome.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets can afford Connor at 5.5-5.7M next season, assuming they move Perreault, Myers and probably Kulikov.

Here's a salary breakdown, with the Jets squeaking under a $82.5M cap in 2019, with Laine, Wheeler, Trouba, Morrissey and Connor signed long term.

Myers, Perreault and Kulikov moved out (UFA, trade).

Laine @ $9.5M x 8
Wheeler @ $7.4M x 5
Connor @ $5.7M x 6
Morrissey @ $5.7M x 6
Trouba @ $7M x 5

Forwards:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Petan-Little-Vesalainen
Copp-Lowry-Appleton

Tanev

(could substitute Lemieux for Petan, Copp, Tanev or Appleton).

Defense:

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Byfuglien
Morrow-Poolman

Samberg, Bourque

Hellebuyck / Comrie

Jets 2019 August model.png

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think both Chef and Ehlers are on cheap contracts....

Chef contract is definitely cheap at 8 x 6.1M, but Ehlers (7 x 6.0M) is not at the same level as a player. Not even close, TBH. Yet their contracts are almost identical. Scheifele deal makes Ehlers contract look expensive, but actually Ehlers is getting fair value and it's Scheifele who is underpaid. To get comparable cheap deal Ehlers should have had something like 4.5M. Scheifele deal was that cheap. The only comparable cheap deal that comes into my mind is that of Barkov at 5.9M, which is insanely cheap as well.

I guess Connor will get at least 5M if he continues his development like in last season.

Reactions: Ippenator

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He's a product of the line he's been playing on. Put him on a line with Perreault and Little, and I bet he struggles to score 15 goals.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He's a product of the line he's been playing on. Put him on a line with Perreault and Little, and I bet he struggles to score 15 goals.
Given his goal scoring in the USHL, NCAA, and AHL, I doubt it.

Connor has always been an elite prospect. And he has been a prominent goal scorer since his USHL days.

Edit: There may or may not have been a heavy dose of sarcasm that completely flew over my head.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not fair really, as most of the players will fail to score 20 or even 15 goals if they have to play the whole season with Little, unless they get a real goal scoring role on the power play like Laine has had. And of course a guy with the shot like Laine might as well score over 20 goals with Little even without much of power play chances, but it for sure wouldn’t be easy.

I like Connor a lot anyway, and I think he is capable of being the 2nd or 3rd best goal scorer for the Jets consistently. Anyway close to Scheifele with his goal scoring skills and probably a bit ahead of Ehlers.

I see Connor as a potentially better player than Ehlers in the future, as it seems to me that Connor has better hockey IQ than Ehlers and he seems to also be a better natural goalscorer than Ehlers. Connor has also almost the speed and skating to match with Ehlers, but to me Connor’s other areas are a bit better than Ehlers’s.

Well, both are pretty weak physically and often in trouble in battles, but Ehler’s does look a bit better defensively to my eyes. On the other hand Connor is a clearly smarter, more intensive and generally better forechecker. And I like his smarts and efficiency in the offensive zone.

I just generally like Connor’s game a lot. He has the smarts and many other great abilities. He does need for sure the right kind of linemates, but so what? So does everyone else too. Put anyone to play with players that don’t fit very well with their playstyle and strengths and weaknesses, and even top class players play clearly worse and less productive than with more optimal linemates.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and KB1971

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

If you think that, you are, IMO, inept at assessing talent.

The talent displayed by KC on that line was undeniable. There was several games last season when he was the key driver of that line, with his speed and puck pursuit.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Chef contract is definitely cheap at 8 x 6.1M, but Ehlers (7 x 6.0M) is not at the same level as a player. Not even close, TBH. Yet their contracts are almost identical. Scheifele deal makes Ehlers contract look expensive, but actually Ehlers is getting fair value and it's Scheifele who is underpaid. To get comparable cheap deal Ehlers should have had something like 4.5M. Scheifele deal was that cheap. The only comparable cheap deal that comes into my mind is that of Barkov at 5.9M, which is insanely cheap as well.

I guess Connor will get at least 5M if he continues his development like in last season.
Chefs contract was made in 16, before we knew he would be such a beast, when Ehlers signed his, he had equal seasons under his belt.

No one says Ehlers couldnt reach chef numbers playing the same minutes.

And just because one contract is insanely cheap, does not mean the other contract isnt cheap.

The main board agreed, it was a good contract.

I dont personally see Connor as a better player than Ehlers, and would expect him to sign around 5.5- 6 depending on term.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My favorite Jet and my choice as the player with the most upside on the team. I believe we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with Connor.
He's a fast puck handler who's learned to play in the tough areas of the rink - that combination makes him special.

I also expect to see him moved off the 1st line at some point this upcoming season.
His performance on line one and his ability to hang on to that role in the later part of last year, lead me to think he is ready to drive his own line.
Put him out there with Roz and they will light it up.
He won't be cheap - my guess after this upcoming season, is somewhere in the 6Mx6 area. I would make signing him long term more of a priority than signing Wheeler.
But then again, he's my favorite Jet.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If you think that, you are, IMO, inept at assessing talent.

The talent displayed by KC on that line was undeniable. There was several games last season when he was the key driver of that line, with his speed and puck pursuit.
Well I'd like to see him put up similar numbers playing with lesser talent, before I give him a long-term contract. That's why I think bridging Connor is the smart move at this point.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Well I'd like to see him put up similar numbers playing with lesser talent, before I give him a long-term contract. That's why I think bridging Connor is the smart move at this point.

I agree, he must follow this up with another solid season, but he in no way shape or form should be saddled with lesser talent.

Connor has excelled at every level he has played at, no reason to think last season was a outlier. He wasn't playing opportunistic hockey, he earned his points.

If he is to be taken off that line, it will be for a Connor/Roslovic/ Ehlers speed kills lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad