Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If push comes to shove in terms of cap, I'm inclined to keep Connor over any forward not named Scheifele or Laine. I'm baised, though. I've been real high on Connor since I watched him play against Ehlers in the WJHC B tournament back in 2015. I literally cheered when we drafted him. I think he's gonna have a very, very good career, hopefully entirely with us. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with 40 goals a few seasons and pushes 80 points regularly.

In the upcoming season, I think Connor will be very close to 40 or more goals. I believe he had over 30 last season, and he missed 7 games. He is "by far" the best Jet for scoring goals in tight--like around from 6-12 feet in front of the net-"magic hands.' We still haven't seen goals from him from 25-30 feet out, but I hope he has a 'hard shot" as well. If he has a shot close to Ehlers-that be great.

If it comes to keeping Wheeler at 35 years old, or keeping Connor--I'd keep Connor all day long, if I was calling the shots. Wheeler will be in slow decline.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I was a little shocked by how sturdy the kid is. Very clear that his focus in the gym has been core and lower body which helps him a lot on the boards and with puck protection. With Connors ridiculous improvement in this area and Scheifs as well it seems (and I hope) that this is something that management pushes to their young developing players.

Wait...I thought I was in the Roslovic thread.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks for the correction, somehow missed that, or forgot. I didn't watch every single game, but most of them at least.

Even when playing one game as a center is not a lot, it's a clear sign that they see he could do that. And that gives you hope that maybe after some unfortunate injuries Maurice just might use him as a center.

I hate how it is with Maurice... that often only through injury do the right players finally get their chance.
I really hope Roslovic gets a good long look at 2nd line center but I’m not counting on it.

Reactions: Halberdier and GNP

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
He really does get lost with all of the talent we have. Can you imagine how talented our first 2 or three lines are going to be in even a couple more years as they mature? It's insane.

We still have Vesalainen waiting to break in

giphy.gif

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I think he has it in him to be our best winger. He plays a far more ‘NHL’ style game than Ehlers or Laine

Reactions: DRW204

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

In the upcoming season, I think Connor will be very close to 40 or more goals. I believe he had over 30 last season, and he missed 7 games. He is "by far" the best Jet for scoring goals in tight--like around from 6-12 feet in front of the net-"magic hands.' We still haven't seen goals from him from 25-30 feet out, but I hope he has a 'hard shot" as well. If he has a shot close to Ehlers-that be great.

If it comes to keeping Wheeler at 35 years old, or keeping Connor--I'd keep Connor all day long, if I was calling the shots. Wheeler will be in slow decline.

Why did you put “hard shot” in quotation marks? Was it an innuendo? :O

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yo. Highkey Kyle Connor is so ****ing good. He gets overshadowed by the amount of talent on our team but gah damn. There's no player on our team i'm more excited to watch this year.

Haha it looks like Laine shoved the captain away after the goal, and Matthias tried to fist bump guys on the bench but nobody cared :D

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
He plays with two of the best forwards in the league. I would like to see how he would do with fourth liners.

He is very good but any bozo could get 20 goals playing where he is.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Why did you put “hard shot” in quotation marks? Was it an innuendo? :O

I put "hard shot' because I wanted to emphasize those 2 words--and thought maybe someone would comment on what kind of shot Connor has from 20- 25 feet out ? I know he's great in close, but I've yet to see him take a long hard shot ? Even if his shot is close to Nik Ehlers --that would be great. Maybe someone will comment on this ?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I think Connor gets a 2 year bridge deal that takes him to the year Buff’s contract comes off the books.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If he continues his development curve, Connor is a Franchise player on 20-25 teams in the league.

Jets need to strike now because all Chevy's draft hits are gonna break the bank. something will have to give. I don't know who we trade, but it's gonna hurt.
If we have to trade any of our top young talent for cap purposes, the returns are still going to be disgusting.

Not that I advocate it, but if we had Laine signed for 8 x 9m, we'd be talking about something stupid like 2 1sts, a top prospect and ptobably a decent roster player on top. Bitter medicine, but probably adds 5 years to our dynasty.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I put "hard shot' because I wanted to emphasize those 2 words--and thought maybe someone would comment on what kind of shot Connor has from 20- 25 feet out ? I know he's great in close, but I've yet to see him take a long hard shot ? Even if his shot is close to Nik Ehlers --that would be great. Maybe someone will comment on this ?

25 feet out is not his game and he doesn't need it to compete - there are others on the team that play well from there.
He'll continue to score the way he is doing it now - sneaky fast, super nifty with a great stick around the net.
He's crazy talented and watching his development over the next few years will be pure pleasure.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
So, I posted this 6 weeks ago in a different thread but did not get much of response. I am going to ask it again, as the realization of the cap crunch sets in:
For fun:
If, due to cap constraints, you could only sign one of Laine and Connor this summer long-term, and would have to bridge the other next year,
and if Connor's agent was asking for $6Mx7 and Laine's agent for $10Mx8,
which one would you sign long-term?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/145659611/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, I posted this 6 weeks ago in a different thread but did not get much of response. I am going to ask it again, as the realization of the cap crunch sets in:

You don't bridge the budding superstar.

I think the Jets could fit them both under the cap at those figures. You dump Myers, Kulikov and Perreault, cut corners on a few other position players, and lock up your stars.

If worse comes to worse, you bridge Connor.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You don't bridge the budding superstar.

I think the Jets could fit them both under the cap at those figures. You dump Myers, Kulikov and Perreault, cut corners on a few other position players, and lock up your stars.

If worse comes to worse, you bridge Connor.
Well, at least you answered the question, where others would not commit.
I am too lazy to lay out the math, but I would take Connor right now at $6Mx8, and bridge Laine if he asked for >$10M.
Rationale:
1)You yourself have talked about the importance of the coming 2-3 yr window, and the 4M saved could help us to afford a Trouba-equivalent for the SC run, which we desperately need.
2)In terms of value, I can easily see Connor as a 40G, 80 point player over the long term. Laine I see as a 50 goal, 90 point player, with slightly higher risk. Keep in mind Ovechkin has scored >85 points only 4 times in his NHL career.
It's all about value, and you DO bridge your budding superstar, if the cost to the team is too high.

Reactions: LowLefty

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I’d bridge Connor and sign Laine right now.
I feel the 10 million now will seem like a bargain later and as good as Connor is he’ll
likely never be the face of the franchise and quite possibly a great trade chip.
Laine ain’t going anywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->