Proposal: Kyle Connor for Miro Heiskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
idk, he seems as close to a sure thing as can be without playing in the NHL yet. just an outsider perspective.
you're talking about a prospect who was the sticking point for Erik freaking Karlsson :laugh:. If Heiskanen busts in the NHL it will be quite the scene around here (this is all dependent if EK stays with DAL for 8 years of course)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
you're talking about a prospect who was the sticking point for Erik freaking Karlsson :laugh:. If Heiskanen busts in the NHL it will be quite the scene around here (this is all dependent if EK stays with DAL for 8 years of course)

Amazing, eh?

Goes both ways, though. Nill obviously doesn't want to give up his prized asset, and Dorion obviously sees something in Heiskanen as well, enough so that he's hanging Karlsson's value on him and, seemingly, not willing to bend without acquiring him.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I've read every comment on this thread and not one poster who says they think Heiskanen is overrated shows the competence to provide anything resembling a varied analysis. Any idiot can come onto a message board and call a popular highly rated prospect overrated. It's a gimmicky headline that promotes chaotic responses. If that's you're sole contribution you're a waste of space troll.

Someone said Heiskanen is not the skater Karlsson is, and while true he doesn't have that same explosiveness, he's an absolutely elite skater in the mould of Scott Neidermeyer. His ability to backskate and keep gap control is elite for his age. He bulks up and stays healthy he's one of the best defensive players in the league within a couple years. His offense was his question mark his draft year, and he silenced everyone on that last season. For those saying he's not a potential #1D, is Klingberg a #1D? Because I'd be willing to bet that barring injury, he'll be a better player within 3 years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Amazing, eh?

Goes both ways, though. Nill obviously doesn't want to give up his prized asset, and Dorion obviously sees something in Heiskanen as well, enough so that he's hanging Karlsson's value on him and, seemingly, not willing to bend without acquiring him.
To be fair, Dorion's hands are a bit tied. To extract the most value from Ek65, it has to come with an extension and DAL is apparently one of the team he'd extend with (not 100% certain on this). Heiskanen, being DAL best prospect by far, has to be on the table for EK65 (w/ extension). Without Heiskanen their packages look really underwhelming compared to other competing teams for EK's services

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm just not a huge fan of Heiskanen's game. He's very overrated. Just my opinion.

Because he's superior to Juolevi?

He's the youngest ever to win D-man of the year in Liiga, played 25mins in the regular season and 26mins in the playoffs, against the best and dominated the ice. Played both at the Olympics& Worlds while being one of the best blueliners for his national team.

Elite skating, elite IQ.
But yeah.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Heiskanen's D+1 season absolutely blows Gudbranson's out of the water... they arent even comparable. Not as clear cut for Bogo because he made the NHL but it would be really hard for someone to convince me his D+1 was better than Heiskanens. Also both were of the "Massive Dmen who cant transition the puck well" group of Dmen that were still getting drafted way way way too high at the time. If Miro was just some massive brute who had a hard time doing much more than throwing a heavy body around I would be on your side, but he is so incredibly far from that
You're right about Gudbranson but completely wrong about Bogo.

He was drafted as a can't miss two way guy, his offense is still the better part of his game. He is a perfect example of a great prospect not developing to his full potential.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Most people: "This proposal is lopsided for the Jets"

Jets homer: "What if I told you that Kyle Connor is Jamie Benn and Heiskanen is Erik Gudbransson?"

If one(not you) can't understand the difference between Gubranson& Heiskanen you can't have a reasonable conversation.
They are the total opposites.

He was drafted as a can't miss two way guy, his offense is still the better part of his game. He is a perfect example of a great prospect not developing to his full potential.

Bogo is never healthy, and Heisks strenght is IQ/skill.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
To be fair, Dorion's hands are a bit tied. To extract the most value from Ek65, it has to come with an extension and DAL is apparently one of the team he'd extend with (not 100% certain on this). Heiskanen, being DAL best prospect by far, has to be on the table for EK65 (w/ extension). Without Heiskanen their packages look really underwhelming compared to other competing teams for EK's services

Which makes us wonder why Dorion apparently keeps circling back to Dallas, with all the assets Tampa and Vegas have to offer.

Seems like he REALLY wants Heiskanen.

Either that, or Karlsson's tipped his hand by telling Dorion he wants to play with Spezza and Methot again and is secretly pushing for the Sens and Stars to work out a deal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And if Miro Heiskanen was Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel this might be an apt analogy. He is not however

I suppose you would be ok with a Nail Yakupov comparisson for Connor too, then? Afterall, Yakupov scored 17 in 48 (29G pace) during the lockout season/his rookie year, and never became anything more. I guess we're going to pretend that thats not a possibility for Connor though, right? There's no way a rookie would have a great season and then fall off a bit as the league learns his looks, goalies learn his shot, etc..

Or are you going to try to tell me that Connor was a more hyped prospect than Yakupov, so its not a good comparisson? Cause then i'd have seen it all.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Bogo isnt the same as Gunbranson but he is still far from what Miro is as a prospect and injuries derailed him as much as anything else. Regardless his "strengths" werent the same as Heiskanens and while he was a much better prospect than Gudbranson in the eyes of anyone who realized the NHL was undergoing a shift in defensive values he still wasnt on the same level as Heiskanen when it comes to skill and IQ. Certain things are hard to predict if they will translate but usually high end skating and IQ arent on that list and that is what Miro excels the most at

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Bogo isnt the same as Gunbranson but he is still far from what Miro is as a prospect and injuries derailed him as much as anything else. Regardless his "strengths" werent the same as Heiskanens and while he was a much better prospect than Gudbranson in the eyes of anyone who realized the NHL was undergoing a shift in defensive values he still wasnt on the same level as Heiskanen when it comes to skill and IQ. Certain things are hard to predict if they will translate but usually high end skating and IQ arent on that list and that is what Miro excels the most at
I don't think Bogo is as far from Heiskanen as a prospect as you are making it out to be. I do agree injuries played a part in his demise, that and a lack of hockey IQ. He was and still is an absolutely phenomenal skater though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think Bogo is as far from Heiskanen as a prospect as you are making it out to be. I do agree injuries played a part in his demise, that and a lack of hockey IQ. He was and still is an absolutely phenomenal skater though.

Heiskanen is that with elite IQ.

He's just so damm good, I have no doubts he could have played in the NHL last season but he missed the pre season camp due to injury and stayed in Finland.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Which makes us wonder why Dorion apparently keeps circling back to Dallas, with all the assets Tampa and Vegas have to offer.

Seems like he REALLY wants Heiskanen.

Either that, or Karlsson's tipped his hand by telling Dorion he wants to play with Spezza and Methot again and is secretly pushing for the Sens and Stars to work out a deal.
Heiskanen is one of the top D prospects in the league that is drafted by the team that EK might be willing to sign with. Makes sense why Dorion is considering them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen is one of the top D prospects in the league that is drafted by the team that EK might be willing to sign with. Makes sense why Dorion is considering them.

But the rumours have him off the table quite clearly.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I've read every comment on this thread and not one poster who says they think Heiskanen is overrated shows the competence to provide anything resembling a varied analysis. Any idiot can come onto a message board and call a popular highly rated prospect overrated. It's a gimmicky headline that promotes chaotic responses. If that's you're sole contribution you're a waste of space troll.

Someone said Heiskanen is not the skater Karlsson is, and while true he doesn't have that same explosiveness, he's an absolutely elite skater in the mould of Scott Neidermeyer. His ability to backskate and keep gap control is elite for his age. He bulks up and stays healthy he's one of the best defensive players in the league within a couple years. His offense was his question mark his draft year, and he silenced everyone on that last season. For those saying he's not a potential #1D, is Klingberg a #1D? Because I'd be willing to bet that barring injury, he'll be a better player within 3 years.
So what was daigle and Yakupov and how is heiskanen better at this point then what they were. A lot more people thought they were no miss blue chip prospects.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I don’t think that this would be an absolutely terrible trade for either side, especially since Dallas has fairly weak offensive depth outside of their top-line. However, I can see why Stars fans are adamant about keeping Heiskanen, and I think that there is much more than a passing chance that this “magic bean” will excel in the NHL. Heiskanen is the second-best defensive prospect in the game after Dahlin, their age and respective resumes showing that they’re not wildly far off from one-another, and Heiskanen has absolutely nothing left to prove outside of the NHL. Conner had a great season for the Jets, but the fact does remain that he played primarily with two of the best forwards in the game. I don’t really buy into the whole narrative of Conner making his line mates exceptionally better, since the team was excellent from the top-down, and Scheifele/Wheeler maintained their production in the playoffs while Conner did not stand-out offensively. Namestnikov also made Kucherov and Stamkos look good on their line, but it was entirely circumstantial (not saying Vlad and Kyle are comparable players, but elite talent will elevate other players, not necessarily the other way-around).

The question for Dallas ultimately boils down to whether they would want a forward group of Seguin, Benn, Radulov, and Conner; or rather a Defensive core of Klingberg, Heiskanen, and Lindell. The former would be helpful to the goal of patching larger holes on their offense, but those issues run much deeper than a single player could fix, and if Conner isn’t able to carry an offensive line (which seems to be as much of a question mark as whether or not Heiskanen can carry an NHL defensive pairing), then the trade holds significantly less value for Dallas. This error would then compound ten-fold if Seguin does end up leaving in FA. It would seem wiser for Dallas to hold out hope for Dellandrea to develop well, and for the probability of Seguin re-signing and helping to usher in a new crop of home-grown talent ahead of an elte defensive core.

At the end of the day, acquiring Conner isn’t going to be a magical fix for Dallas’ depth-woes on offense, but Heiskanen growing into a bigger role on the back-end alongside Klingberg and Lindell could certainly provide the ancillary benefit of boosting the offense ahead of them by having at least one of the three on the ice for the vast majority of any given game. Conner is a great asset in his own right, but the stakes for him not producing like Heiskanen might in a different role (and vice-versa) could very-well spell disaster for Dallas, so I see them standing-pat as the best option here.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

paragon

May 5, 2010
In 2009-2010 21 year old Jamie Benn was coming off a season where he scored 22 goals and had 56 points on the season. Would it have been smart for the Stars to deal him for the 3rd overall pick from 2 years before Zach Bogosian? How about the 3rd overall pick that season in Erik Gubranson? Gubranson and Bogosian were seen as can’t miss prospects, sure fire #1 Dmen. I take it Dallas fans will admit that at the time they would have been ok with a Benn for Bogosian trade?

How would that have turned out for Dallas?
So you are saying Kings should have traded magic beans Doughty for Peter Mueller?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Let's say Connor isn't as good as Heiskanen ...is there any add that would get Dallas to consider this?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Sami Niku hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Sami Niku... 7th rd pick. Big numbers in the A in his rookie year. Great numbers the year prior in the Finnish league

Miro Heiskanen hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Heiskanen

Pretty damn similar numbers in the Finnish league to Niku

Just saying. Is Niku the 4th best D prospect if Heiskanen is the 3rd?
No, because there is more to projecting prospects than numbers. Otherwise every junior scorer who lights it up would be drafted.

Also, their numbers aren't that similar. Niku's D+1 year he scored 11 pts in 38 games. Heiskanen scored 23 in 30. Niku's best season in Liiga was 27 in 59. Not comparable numbers in that league at all. His AHL numbers look damn good. You should be excited for your guy.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, Connor is good, but he doesn't get you a D prospect of that magnitude.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sami Niku hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Sami Niku... 7th rd pick. Big numbers in the A in his rookie year. Great numbers the year prior in the Finnish league

Miro Heiskanen hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Heiskanen

Pretty damn similar numbers in the Finnish league to Niku

Just saying. Is Niku the 4th best D prospect if Heiskanen is the 3rd?

They are nothing similar.

In his +1 season after draft Niku scored 11 points in 38 games, Heiskanen scored 32 points in 44 games.

Heiskanen is the youngest ever to win the D-man of the year, he's still 18y where as Niku is 21y, again real similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad