Post-Game Talk: KY with the clutch DP

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamamoto was drafted exactly where he was slotted.

So everyone please go lecture the world wide scouts, not Edmonton.

Incomplete post considering that runt forwards typically take a lot longer to develop if they even make it to the show and that the Oilers needed draft picks that could help immediately or ASAP.

It might have made some sense for some teams to draft a 153lb tiny player that didn't even have extraordinary production numbers but it certainly made little sense for the Oilers to do it.

Also, this gem from his draft analysis;

"NHL.com analysis: Dynamic right wing could fit nice with left-shot center like Connor McDavid. At 5-foot-7, 146 pounds, he needs to get bigger and stronger, but he's never been pushed out of a game"

Um, he had never played in the NHL, what is the probability that the smallest player in the whole league might have problems playing against much bigger men than Junior hockey players. The bolded is so stupid it defies description. Its a throwaway comment, the type of thing an agent would state. yeah, the hockey world being dumb. The same hockey world that one combine was asking all players if they played fortnite and red flagging on that basis.

To wit, years later and Kailor has been pushed out of nearly any NHL game he's played and is still only 153lbs. Still a full 30lbs lighter than the Tyler Johnson fellow he's always being erroneously compared to.

In anycase its 2020 and the Oilers to this date have recieved no net benefit from this pick. Again they needed a pick that could at least play in the show, or trade the pick for somebody that can.

In a McDrai window timeclock it made little sense for the Oilers to pick Yama, and he hasn't played well with either, ever.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Incomplete post considering that runt forwards typically take a lot longer to develop if they even make it to the show and that the Oilers needed draft picks that could help immediately or ASAP.

It might have made some sense for some teams to draft a 153lb tiny player that didn't even have extraordinary production numbers but it certainly made little sense for the Oilers to do it.

"NHL.com analysis: Dynamic right wing could fit nice with left-shot center like Connor McDavid. At 5-foot-7, 146 pounds, he needs to get bigger and stronger, but he's never been pushed out of a game"

Um, he had never played in the NHL, what is the probability that the smallest player in the whole league might have problems playing against much bigger men than Junior hockey players. The bolded is so stupid it defies description. Its a throwaway comment, the type of thing an agent would state. yeah, the hockey world being dumb. The same hockey world that one combine was asking all players if they played fortnite and red flagging on that basis.

To wit, years later and Kailor has been pushed out of nearly any NHL game he's played and is still only 153lbs. Still a full 30lbs lighter than the Tyler Johnson fellow he's always being erroneously compared to.

In anycase its 2020 and the Oilers to this date have recieved no net benefit from this pick. Again they needed a pick that could at least play in the show, or trade the pick for somebody that can.

In a McDrai window timeclock it made little sense for the Oilers to pick Yama, and he hasn't played well with either, ever.

Yamo looked great yesterday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamo looked great yesterday.

He was very good on his last shift. I certainly wouldn't say he looked great yesterday on the whole body (excuse the pun) of work. I saw him pass into coverage half a dozen times, get nailed on the boards a few times. Easily pressured off the puck by D. He didn't make one significant passing play to a linemate all game. He didn't setup one play all game on the Drai line. Not one.

I saw him blow a scoring chance.

What made him great yesterday. This is typical of the overpraise this kid gets.

This was written over a year ago and theres been even more reason to doubt the empty platitudes on this player since. Matt Hendricks does a good job in this describing how for some reason Yama's very meager accomplishments are always blown up as if they are something greater.

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

Its as if theres a "little train that could" narrative at work and that people are preferential based on Yama's diminutive size and always looking for the slightest reasons to heap praise on the player.

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
He was very good on his last shift. I certainly wouldn't say he looked great yesterday on the whole body (excuse the pun) of work. I saw him pass into coverage half a dozen times, get nailed on the boards a few times. Easily pressured off the puck by D. He didn't make one significant passing play to a linemate all game. He didn't setup one play all game on the Drai line. Not one.

This was written over a year ago and theres been even more reason to doubt the empty platitudes on this player since. Matt Hendricks does a good job in this describing how for some reason Yama's very meager accomplishments are always blown up as if they are something greater.

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

Its as if theres a "little train that could" narrative at work and that people are preferential based on Yama's diminutive size and always looking for the slightest reasons to heap praise on the player.

So you're just going to double down on your weird obsession? Draisaitl hasn't played well and he did not play a good game, despite scoring a goal.

I know it's hard, but blindly hating a kid because he's small just shows your complete lack of hockey knowledge. The kid was robbed because he took an extra second to dust off a pass, a mistake 90% of rookies would make.

Pretend and make up excuses all you want, but Draisaitl was outplayed by a rookie.

In no way, shape or form is Yamamoto a superior hockey player (very, very few players are) to a Draisaitl on his game, but he hasn't been on his game for quite a while now.

His linemates have no bearing on his effort level and if they do, that speaks volumes about his work ethic.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

He was very good all game. It’s actually rather sad that you are so triggered because Drai had another poor game and was overshadowed by Yamamoto last night, that you feel the need to act out like this. It’s not a good look man. You’re taking the position of “fanboy” to a whole new level here

Reactions: TB12 and McXLNC97

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

When you’re drafting late in the 1st round you can’t expect that player to be ready right away. Plus it’s not like the players drafted after him are any better. We also can’t base draft picks on the Mcdrai window, both of them are under 24 and still have a good 10 years of being elite left. I just want them to draft the BPA regardless if he takes 1 year or 4 years to make the NHL. You can’t have 2 elite talents like McDrai and be a bad team for long.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you're just going to double down on your weird obsession? Draisaitl hasn't played well and he did not play a good game, despite scoring a goal.

I know it's hard, but blindly hating a kid because he's small just shows your complete lack of hockey knowledge. The kid was robbed because he took an extra second to dust off a pass, a mistake 90% of rookies would make.

Pretend and make up excuses all you want, but Draisaitl was outplayed by a rookie.

In no way, shape or form is Yamamoto a superior hockey player (very, very few players are) to a Draisaitl on his game, but he hasn't been on his game for quite a while now.

His linemates have no bearing on his effort level and if they do, that speaks volumes about his work ethic.

Are you seriously calling into question Drais work ethic? Seriously, tell me you're not doing that.

Drai is taxed, spent, has little left presently. Maybe he'll get a second wind like he usually does. Maybe he and McD are starting to get demoralized. I can't say I blame them.

Nor do I "blindly hate" on the kid.

I dislike that the Oilers ever drafted a 153lb kid that lacked the kind of sensational skill that players of such size would require to succeed in topsix in the NHL. I have nothing personal against Yama. Just that I don't like the prognosis about how a moderately skilled player of his size will pan out in the NHL and be a useful player here within the ticking McDrai window.

Then that he gets put with DRai, as I predicted again, with Drai. I've made this prediction 3 times on the board and been right every time. The team always starting out putting him with Drai. Why?

To pester me. ;)

Finally, this is Yamas third pro season. He's 21 and the Oilers benefit served from the draft is one PP goal and one Empty net goal. That's it. A player as nondescript as Gagner is seen in these part had 100NHL pts by then. The same Sam Gagner that was worth cowpies and that was "Sammy snowpants" here.

People here loved hating on that kid but it was deemed OK..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When you’re drafting late in the 1st round you can’t expect that player to be ready right away. Plus it’s not like the players drafted after him are any better. We also can’t base draft picks on the Mcdrai window, both of them are under 24 and still have a good 10 years of being elite left. I just want them to draft the BPA regardless if he takes 1 year or 4 years to make the NHL. You can’t have 2 elite talents like McDrai and be a bad team for long.

Well trade the pick for whatever you can get for live body or package it in. Which I said at the time. Picking Yama was doing nothing to help the team during the McDRai window, which is the only window that matters.

As to the bolded quite clearly the Oilers can. It has been long, really long. The Hawks won two SC's in the same Toews/Kane early window. The Oilers have gotten worse roster wise in the 5yr McD segment. The power is strong with Oilers suckage and it looks worse if either McD or Drai pull the plug. We might be seeing it earlier than we think.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Well trade the pick for whatever you can get for live body or package it in. Which I said at the time. Picking Yama was doing nothing to help the team during the McDRai window, which is the only window that matters.

As to the bolded quite clearly the Oilers can. It has been long, really long. The Hawks won two SC's in the same Toews/Kane early window. The Oilers have gotten worse roster wise in the 5yr McD segment. The power is strong with Oilers suckage and it looks worse if either McD or Drai pull the plug. We might be seeing it earlier than we think.

I don't think Mcdavid would ask for a trade and if he did it would be privately and his request probably wouldn't be granted. Players like him want to be part of the solution and don't like to quit. It's a mindset that they grew up with that made them who they are. Look at what Tavares went thru in NY and still gutted it out until he was a UFA and even then he still almost resigned with the Islanders. Now look at Hall. Every season with us was a losing season and he was still pissed when he got traded and there's rumors that he wouldn't mind playing here again.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Are you seriously calling into question Drais work ethic? Seriously, tell me you're not doing that.

Drai is taxed, spent, has little left presently. Maybe he'll get a second wind like he usually does. Maybe he and McD are starting to get demoralized. I can't say I blame them.

I dislike that the Oilers ever drafted a 153lb kid that lacked the kind of sensational skill that players of such size would require to succeed in topsix in the NHL. I have nothing personal against Yama. Just that I don't like the prognosis about how a moderately skilled player of his size will pan out in the NHL and be a useful player here within the ticking McDrai window.

Then that he gets put with DRai, as I predicted again, with Drai. I've made this prediction 3 times on the board and been right every time. The team always starting out putting him with Drai. Why?

To pester me. ;)

Finally, this is Yamas third pro season. He's 21 and the Oilers benefit served from the draft is one PP goal and one Empty net goal. That's it. A player as nondescript as Gagner is seen in these part had 100NHL pts by then. The same Sam Gagner that was worth cowpies and that was "Sammy snowpants" here.

this is not his third pro season. Sammy Snowpants is one of the most loved Oilers of the last 20 years...cute attempt to deflect but you’re wrong again.

Reactions: TB12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gagner had 2 goals and 9 assists and was -9 in his first 27 NHL games.

Yamamoto has 2 goals and 4 assists and is -8 in his first 27 NHL games.

Gagner had a better start to his career yes... but it's not as if he was filling the net either.

Plenty of rookies take a while (certainly more than 27 games) to get a grip on the NHL level of physicality/speed and the systems and time and space out there are obviously different for Yamamoto than in Junior and the AHL.

I'm not even a big fan of the fact he was brought up before a guy like say Benson... but hell give the guy a chance to at least sink or swim in this cup of coffee he's getting.

He had 3 shots... was even and had a goal... sure it was an empty net goal but that was still a big goal that salted the game away and EN goals are not exactly a "forte" of this team so good on him for being a net positive player in his 1st game of the season. Made some decent defensive plays as well... another plus. Even registered 4 hits (most on the team) so he was a decent spark plug out there in his 11 minutes of ice time. No reason to shit on his effort or performance in the game and his upside is solid... whether he lives up to it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gagner had 2 goals and 9 assists and was -9 in his first 27 NHL games.

Yamamoto has 2 goals and 4 assists and is -8 in his first 27 NHL games.

Gagner had a better start to his career yes... but it's not as if he was filling the net either.

Plenty of rookies take a while (certainly more than 27 games) to get a grip on the NHL level of physicality/speed and the systems and time and space out there are obviously different for Yamamoto than in Junior and the AHL.

I'm not even a big fan of the fact he was brought up before a guy like say Benson... but hell give the guy a chance to at least sink or swim in this cup of coffee he's getting.

He had 3 shots... was even and had a goal... sure it was an empty net goal but that was still a big goal that salted the game away and EN goals are not exactly a "forte" of this team so good on him for being a net positive player in his 1st game of the season. Made some decent defensive plays as well... another plus. Even registered 4 hits (most on the team) so he was a decent spark plug out there in his 11 minutes of ice time. No reason to **** on his effort or performance in the game and his upside is solid... whether he lives up to it remains to be seen.

Gagner put up those numbers as a raw rookie, all when he was 18yrs old and all in one go off in what is a true rookie season. Yamamoto has his through 3 development seasons and is 21yrs old. Yama also getting to play with McDrai who are far superior to anybody Gagner was playing with. Gagner was gathering most of his points from guys like Nillson and Cogliano who were also young, and haven't been known as consistent NHL producers since.

Gagner also produced quite a lot immediately after that first 27 game segment and to wit had 5pts in his next 4 games. Gagner also started his NHL career on fire being hot throughout camp and into the season. Gagner had 4pts in his first 4GP and 7pts in his first 8NHL games played. he served notice he could produce at this level, served it immediately, and all as an 18yr old. Way more impressive.

ps what is "upside" other than a term that is a narrative construct. In 3yrs of pro hockey Yamamoto has yet to put up impressive numbers anywhere. He's yet to demonstrate goal scoring acumen. In reference to being the smallest player in the league isn't it an odd notion to infer that such an outlier has so much upside? Robbie Schremp had so much upside. He was going to be a star. The few here that have followed this board since inception know that all these players are touted to be stars, that they are fait accompli, just waiting to ignite.

Every Oiler fan here is quick to mock Flames or Nucks prospects and say all the fervor is presumptuous and yet do the same here.

Benson and Yama are stated to be sure things on this board. They're so good they should immediately be playing with Leon Draisaitl, one of the top two producers in hockey, and the top goal scorer in all of 2019. They're a shoe in with that guy. They're all light years better than Gagner, excepting that they haven't been at any point, and are showing less signs of that now. I mean I hate to bring this up but Gagner was putting up the numbers Benson and Yama have put up in the AHL, but in the much harder NHL, and again as an 18yr old in a rookie season.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
61Vn-8JRo9L._SY450_.jpg

Who wouldda thought, KY made things more pleasurable.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

To pester me. ;)

Are you his mom?

Yes, I would question his work ethic if he refuses to work hard when he doesn't have his preferred linemates. At this point he seems to want gravy McDavid points and doesn't want to play in his own end. If one of my troops only put in an effort doing the things he wanted to, he'd be stuck doing everything he hated until he grew up.

If Draisaitl is "spent" already then he'll never be an effective playoff player. His ice time has dropped significantly in the last set of games, plus he's had plenty of time off. If he's still gassed, he needs a new trainer.

What's the cut off for size in the NHL? If you're not 6 feet, 215, you can't be effective? I'm not fond of Yamamoto's game, but he's young enough to learn how to use his skill effectively. Hopefully he learns he's tiny and can't play a grinding style with grown men. If he doesn't and can't be effective, then send him out east. But deciding on a player just because he's small is just silly.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Thought KY had a decent game. Definitely better than his last stint with the bog club so hopefully he can continue to grow hos game and be a part of a winning team.

Boys let down Kosk in that pathetic third. They should have been ashamed how that finished. The team cannot sit back EVER in a game. EVER! They aren't good enough defensively. It's been proven time and again. We only win when we play defense in the offensive zone. So play there. Hopefully Tippett got a message through to them after that ending and hopefully NYR are pissed off and take it out on the flames.

Panarin, my goodness. When that guy gets going he is hard to stop. Strome. :S Just goes to show that players just don't give a **** when they play for the Oilers.

Any word on Klefbom?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thought KY had a decent game. Definitely better than his last stint with the bog club so hopefully he can continue to grow hos game and be a part of a winning team.

Boys let down Kosk in that pathetic third. They should have been ashamed how that finished. The team cannot sit back EVER in a game. EVER! They aren't good enough defensively. It's been proven time and again. We only win when we play defense in the offensive zone. So play there. Hopefully Tippett got a message through to them after that ending and hopefully NYR are pissed off and take it out on the flames.

Panarin, my goodness. When that guy gets going he is hard to stop. Strome. :S Just goes to show that players just don't give a **** when they play for the Oilers.

Any word on Klefbom?
I don't think Strome didn't give a shit. He just wasn't getting the bounces.

He was however finding a perfect place as a 3C. He finally had some sort of identity and we traded him. There is a reason TM had to confront PC after the trade.

Reactions: nabob

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I don't think Strome didn't give a ****. He just wasn't getting the bounces.

He was however finding a perfect place as a 3C. He finally had some sort of identity and we traded him. There is a reason TM had to confront PC after the trade.

I didn't know TM confronted PC after that trade. That was one of PC's worst moves. Just made zero sense.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't know TM confronted PC after that trade. That was one of PC's worst moves. Just made zero sense.
Why a GM would make a deal without running it by the coach is something I'd never figure out.

Even the Manning deal. Gregor and others pointed out if PC would've been more open with local media that PC would've gotten a free scouting report and would've never made the deal. Media guys maybe aren't the best at scouting other teams, but they talk to other media guys that watch their hometown players every game. CHI media didn't even think Manning would get picked on waivers, yet we traded a guy that was at least a decent place holder at the time.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad