News: Kuznetsov Requested a Trade From WSH

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Fehervary? I would guess there is no chance they trade him whatsoever.

I just don't see any trade proposals that begin to value Kuznetsov properly. He's a good player at worst, nearly a ppg player at best. The Caps should not have to eat a penny on any trade. If that eliminates the market, which it probably does, then they should just keep him. They don't have to trade this guy. The idea that his value is toast just because he submitted a trade request at some point is horseshit. He's under contract at a fair wage and there isn't anything else left out there at the center position.
I get the sentiments, and I understand not trading Fehervary.

However, it all depends on the Cap's appetite to keep a disgruntled player at least until the deadline. With their roster and Kuzy's motivation I can't see his stock increasing too much (though i agree that he would fetch more at the deadline than right now).

But if he were to be traded right now, you wouldn't get what you want. It's clear cap space is the most valuable commodity out there at the moment, but ya that will be different a year from now, so it will be interesting to watch. But even in the future it might be difficult to get a better main piece than Girard in a deal. That maximizes his trade value, even if Girard isn't wanted on the Caps long term, he will retain value for many years and can be flipped for a better futures return than an 8M 32 year old Kuznetsov will.

I think if Sandin is included it probably makes more sense to the Caps, and the Avs have other valuable futures that they can include to make it happen. I think with some retention (doesn't have to be the whole 50%) it makes a lot of sense for the Avs for the next 2 years. Which begs the question, what would be needed for:

Kuznetsov (@75%)
Sandin

for

Girard
+ ?

Avs can only take on about 2M in salary, hence the retention. Keep that in mind if any other roster players are included.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why not just keep Kuznetsov for the entire contract?

"But he submitted a trade request!" Who gives a shit? He signed, he's bound to play. They're under no obligation to do anything, and by all accounts, probably shouldn't. They certainly shouldn't retain money or give up quality young players in any deal. This is as bad as the first proposal. Sandin? Fehervary? The Caps aren't dealing youth; they'd like to be younger still.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018

"But he submitted a trade request!" Who gives a shit? He signed, he's bound to play. They're under no obligation to do anything, and by all accounts, probably shouldn't. They certainly shouldn't retain money or give up quality young players in any deal. This is as bad as the first proposal. Sandin? Fehervary? The Caps aren't dealing youth; they'd like to be younger still.

Absolutely. Putting Pacioretty on LTIR means the Caps can start the season cap compliant. So a long window where Kuzy can potentially return to inspired play. At that point Caps may decide to keep him and make some other moves, if they need space. We also don't know what will happen with Backstrom and his salary. There may be lots of room.

So in no way are the Caps desperate to move him for less than max potential value. Maybe he stays and scores 35 goals and is in super high demand as a trade target next summer as Caps move on to Miroshnichenko and Leonard...

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I get the sentiments, and I understand not trading Fehervary.

However, it all depends on the Cap's appetite to keep a disgruntled player at least until the deadline. With their roster and Kuzy's motivation I can't see his stock increasing too much (though i agree that he would fetch more at the deadline than right now).

But if he were to be traded right now, you wouldn't get what you want. It's clear cap space is the most valuable commodity out there at the moment, but ya that will be different a year from now, so it will be interesting to watch. But even in the future it might be difficult to get a better main piece than Girard in a deal. That maximizes his trade value, even if Girard isn't wanted on the Caps long term, he will retain value for many years and can be flipped for a better futures return than an 8M 32 year old Kuznetsov will.

I think if Sandin is included it probably makes more sense to the Caps, and the Avs have other valuable futures that they can include to make it happen. I think with some retention (doesn't have to be the whole 50%) it makes a lot of sense for the Avs for the next 2 years. Which begs the question, what would be needed for:

Kuznetsov (@75%)
Sandin

for

Girard
+ ?

Avs can only take on about 2M in salary, hence the retention. Keep that in mind if any other roster players are included.
Wow, that is horrible.

Absolutely insane, honestly. Moving Sandin makes like zero sense for the Caps at all, nor does paying to be rid of Kuznetsov just to fix him for somebody else.

If I'm the GM I say "look, we tested the market but you made yourself untradeable last year so go play until somebody wants you". Laviolette's gone, there's enough change to challenge him, but they don't need to pay to be rid of somebody right now just to do it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Wow, that is horrible.

Absolutely insane, honestly. Moving Sandin makes like zero sense for the Caps at all, nor does paying to be rid of Kuznetsov just to fix him for somebody else.

If I'm the GM I say "look, we tested the market but you made yourself untradeable last year so go play until somebody wants you". Laviolette's gone, there's enough change to challenge him, but they don't need to pay to be rid of somebody right now just to do it.
Alexeeyev then? I got poo-pooed on Fehervary so I thought Sandin was more available. Just looking for a downgrade to sub in on the left side but prefer him to be established. I prefer Fehervary for the Avs needs, and think they could incentivise the deal enough to get it done.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Alexeeyev then? I got poo-pooed on Fehervary so I thought Sandin was more available. Just looking for a downgrade to sub in on the left side but prefer him to be established. I prefer Fehervary for the Avs needs, and think they could incentivise the deal enough to get it done.
Well, you pretty much went in the opposite direction and are about out of trade chips, that's basically the entire Caps LD depth outside of Edmundson (who there can't possibly be value in) or unproven overcooked prospects. Now, if you wanted Lucas Johansen just to be cute that would be fine but there's no way I can see enough value there to bake it into a dump trade

There's just no smart way for the Caps to do this, they don't want to retain and I don't think they want to pay for a dump. Yeah, that means there's no real trade right now but that's... why they haven't made one, so that lines up. Better to see if Carbery can inspire a little effort again (or if the prospect of being traded is motivation), because if he has value again it's a lot less difficult.

They can afford to wait. Mantha is gone next year, and Backstrom is a 9 million dollar coin flip at this point, both he and Oshie are realistically one or two more injuries away from LTIRetirement. Kuznetsov can simmer, it's not pressing for the Caps to sell low.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Well, you pretty much went in the opposite direction and are about out of trade chips, that's basically the entire Caps LD depth outside of Edmundson (who there can't possibly be value in) or unproven overcooked prospects. Now, if you wanted Lucas Johansen just to be cute that would be fine but there's no way I can see enough value there to bake it into a dump trade

There's just no smart way for the Caps to do this, they don't want to retain and I don't think they want to pay for a dump. Yeah, that means there's no real trade right now but that's... why they haven't made one, so that lines up. Better to see if Carbery can inspire a little effort again (or if the prospect of being traded is motivation), because if he has value again it's a lot less difficult.

They can afford to wait. Mantha is gone next year, and Backstrom is a 9 million dollar coin flip at this point, both he and Oshie are realistically one or two more injuries away from LTIRetirement. Kuznetsov can simmer, it's not pressing for the Caps to sell low.
Out of trade chips? I put a + in there for Caps fans to fill. Avs don't have a plethora of futures to deal but i think enough to make it work while getting an established guy.

As far as selling low - you might think so with the retention, sure. But I have a hard time seeing the Caps get a better piece than Girard in a Kuznetsov deal, now or in the future. Without a quality defender coming back it doesn't make sense for the Avs.

I too imagine they will wait until the deadline, but even then they will probably just get some picks. An unmotivated player on a declining squad probably won't up his value much before the deadline.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Out of trade chips? I put a + in there for Caps fans to fill. Avs don't have a plethora of futures to deal but i think enough to make it work while getting an established guy.

As far as selling low - you might think so with the retention, sure. But I have a hard time seeing the Caps get a better piece than Girard in a Kuznetsov deal, now or in the future. Without a quality defender coming back it doesn't make sense for the Avs.

I too imagine they will wait until the deadline, but even then they will probably just get some picks. An unmotivated player on a declining squad probably won't up his value much before the deadline.
No, from Washington. Fehervary/Sandin doesn't work for them and they don't want what Girard brings anyway (I mean, it's basically just a smaller lower upside Sandin and doesn't improve their top 4)

Since it's neither of those, now you're out of quality LD that you want returned to replace Girard.

If the Caps can't get better than Girard they should probably just keep Kuznetsov and make him play. It's like you keep failing to read that his motivation is to build his value and the Capitals have zero reason to sell low.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Calling Sandin or (especially) Fehervary a downgrade on Girard is embarassingly generous to Girard. It’s pretty clear you don’t know the Capitals and don’t understand Sandin nor Fehervary’s skill set and usage. To make it simple neither would be available for Girard straight up and the Caps certainly wouldn’t add. Trading Kuznetsov (with retention) and Sandin/Fehervary/Alexeyev for Girard is not a particularly enticing base and is, in fact, terrible for the Caps unless the AVs are adding something equivalent to 1B/2A Center value.

You need to get the point, the Capitals do not consider Girard enough of an upgrade to any of their young DMen (outside possibly Alexeyev) to add Kuznetsov without a significant add from COL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Considering that Boeser’s best seasons are pretty comparable to Kuznetsov’s worst I’d guess this is a pretty solid Hard No.

Fair. I wouldn't make that deal either. The plus would probably have to be something i don't want to give up. But Boeser would have to be involved because of the cap.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Kuznetsov could go to Cbus and I wouldn’t expect the Caps to pay anything.

Kuznetsov (no retention) for Roslovic + B level prospect? Someone like Cuelemans/DelBelBelluz/Dumais?

gotothedirtyareas

May 4, 2022
If I were the Caps GM I'd not only keep him but would make playing here more appealing to him. He is clearly the most talented overall player on the team if properly motivated. I would sign Tarrasanko to play on the top line with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. Strome would be bumped to the second line with Wilson & Pacioretty. The fourth line would be Dowd, Malenstyn, and Oshie. Hard workers who are defensively responsible and would provide a little fourth line scoring. Now we come to the third line. I love Backstrom but I think he's done. No longer can keep up with the speed of the game. McMichael should center the third line. Wingers....who knows. Mantha has talent but needs someone on his line that makes him accountable. Milano...pass. Aube-Kubel...pass. Not sure why they were even extended.
The defense is average at best. Sandin is overrated. Not a fan. Please don't extend him past two or three years. The won the cup because of Orpik and Niskanen. Need to find players with similar traits.
If money is the issue, you need to do something with Backstrom and deal Kemper. There is $15M right there.
Circling back, you need to keep Kuzy and make him want to play here.

Jun 15, 2007
It's funny how people think the Caps are obligated to move Kuzy.

We missed the playoffs by a mile last year and we aren't any better this year. If we miss the playoffs we miss the playoffs.

As long as Ovechkin scores 35+ goals this season its a good year.

Under no circumstances are we paying through the nose to get rid of kuzy

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

We missed the playoffs by a mile last year and we aren't any better this year. If we miss the playoffs we miss the playoffs.

Heh, I see what you did there.

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010

Weren't they in a playoff spot in December before Carlson got injured and had just won 9 out of 10? That was the turning point of the season. They sold Orlov, Hathaway, Eller and Gustafsson and stunk it up down the stretch notching 3 wins in the last month of the year one of which was a shootout win over Buffalo.

Reactions: um

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Has he stopped partying yet? He's 31, and that's an age players' production can nosedive if they don't take care of themselves.

People here making jokes, acting like cocaine isn’t common among hockey players (and many other athletes).
It's common but it shouldn't be. Making jokes is one way to make it less cool to do.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What evidence is there that cocaine use is "common" among NHL players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad