News: Kuznetsov Requested a Trade From WSH

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Vancouver could use him badly...
A Miller for Kuznetsov trade could work for both teams, but I’d assume Vancouver would want a great prospect in addition to make up for the difference in value. Kuzy only has 2 years left on his contract and only seems like he will be a viable top 6 forward for a few more years, so we’d need a prospect that has top 6 C potential.

HITMAN88

Jun 29, 2011
Sandanski
Yeah we just bought our johansen and duchene to bring in kuz lol
If that’s in the plans I’m not inpressed.
Johansen stinks but duchene is a year removed from 86 points (43 goals), bringing in kuz would be epic brutal.
I think a trade for Couture or Lindhom is more likely than the Kuznetsov one. They both are type of players that Trotz likes.

Reactions: maplepred

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Anaheim has McTavish and Zegras at center and Strome also if need be…why are they dealing for an older center especially one who seems like the worst fit with a bunch of young offense-first pivots, simply adding to that inventory.

If Anaheim needs a short-term center it would be one with experienced two-way and defensive acumen to take high-level matchups off the plates of their younger guys.
Strome is a stop gap placeholder.
The big 3 are obv Leo C, MacT, and Zeg
flipping Strome + Panarin + smaller add for Kuz + larger add
= upgraded asset
You use Kuz til it makes sense to sell high for other assets which are a better fit.
Howev, to flip Strome at max, you need to package w/bread

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Amazing how far this guy's value has plummeted. I few years ago he was regarded as one of the best centers in the league.
It's not just him though. Duchene, RyJo, Taylor Hall... These are all good players, but not quite worth their current cap hit and most of them had down years. Combine that with the league wide salary cap jam and this is what you get.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It sounds like McLellan and Trotz kicked the tires on Duchene for Kuznetsov, but the Predators went another way.

I expect the Caps just keep him. He's better than people think. Dude doesn't have a trade-me clause, and he's worth a lot more to them as a somewhat less motivated player than in a 50 percent retention or future considerations sort of move.

Besides, whether they admit it openly or not, they aren't going to win and they are better off clearing the decks in ways that don't hurt their cap situation in future. They can afford to just let some of these contracts run out and the players remain right where they are, I think. Kuznetsov, Mantha, Backstrom... those contracts just need to expire (unless Backstrom heads to LTIR at some point).

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With Duchene and RyJo both on new teams, I think the market for Kuzy is a little limited.

I'd give the Caps Granlund straight up if they retained $2.8mil.
824bc858cca593e0679076bf283630c6_w200.gif

Do not want bird man anywhere near the Pens. Hate his goal celebration.

Reactions: JKG33

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's not just him though. Duchene, RyJo, Taylor Hall... These are all good players, but not quite worth their current cap hit and most of them had down years. Combine that with the league wide salary cap jam and this is what you get.
Respectfully, I think one of those 3 is not like the others. RyJo... I mean, he can play in the NHL... but... good? Not so much.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Respectfully, I think one of those 3 is not like the others. RyJo... I mean, he can play in the NHL... but... good? Not so much.
He's not as good as the other two, but point is that he's still a player teams were interested in. Just not with that 8mil cap hit.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Kuznetsov for Hoffman @ 50% and Armia :sarcasm:

2nd proposal

Kuznetsov for Ryder, Halak and a 2nd
First one yes, 2nd one no. Too valuable.

Kuzy would love Canada with all the.... snow.

Great player, but his known habits have likely lessened his value, but would be looking to deal for him from a Habs perspective, but Washington likely feels he has good value and would return a 1st and/or a good prospect +

• Haha
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I think if they can’t get anything of value, they keep him. Most of his frustration was from playing for Lavi I believe.

Yeah agree. Some young talent, draft picks - something.

Otherwise I don't see why the Caps bother.

(unless Backstrom heads to LTIR at some point).

To me, that seems like a strong possibility. Some of the other folks in the Caps forum don't think so.

Reactions: Neil Racki

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canucks should be all over this. I don't see anyone taking on Kusnetsov's full contract, so Washington will most likely need to retain heavily, or take back another similarish contract.

Maybe something with Boeser (2x6.7) for Kuznetsov (2x7.8). Both had very similar seasons last year and could use a fresh start, although I think the Canucks would have to add.

Cocaine isn't illegal in Vancouver, so no risk of legal troubles.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So is he out of Ovi's group to demand a trade?

Chicago should be all over this. 2 years left so they can still go big fish hunting after that.

Hall and Kuznetsov on the same team showing Bedard how to walk the line.

Hawks could easily flip him on TDL to the highest bidder too

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Hall was purely traded from cap hell position.

It’s not similar to others and to Kuz trade

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So is he out of Ovi's group to demand a trade?

Hawks could easily flip him on TDL to the highest bidder too
I was wondering about Ovi. Maybe there should be a conversation to be had with the guy to see where his head is at. Does he want to be a Capital for life or does he want to move on. Would really help the Caps out long-term if they started a transition sooner rather than later. Instead of wasting assets to try stay competitive, they could start getting some assets.

Is Kuznetsov even going to want to go to the Hawks? I mean I really don't know why he wants out either, but I just don't see Chicago as the place he goes. At the same time I don't even know who can really acquire him.

Hall was purely traded from cap hell position.

It’s not similar to others and to Kuz trade
It might not be the reason he's traded, but it's now kind of the issue. Now that they might have to trade him the cap hell position is very much real when trying to find a deal.

Reactions: LOFIN

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I was wondering about Ovi. Maybe there should be a conversation to be had with the guy to see where his head is at. Does he want to be a Capital for life or does he want to move on. Would really help the Caps out long-term if they started a transition sooner rather than later. Instead of wasting assets to try stay competitive, they could start getting some assets.

Is Kuznetsov even going to want to go to the Hawks? I mean I really don't know why he wants out either, but I just don't see Chicago as the place he goes. At the same time I don't even know who can really acquire him.

It might not be the reason he's traded, but it's now kind of the issue. Now that they might have to trade him the cap hell position is very much real when trying to find a deal.

I expect Was to get nothing for Kuz but my point was Hall trade wasn’t for same reasons as Johansen trade or Duchene buy out.

They were made for leadership change, Hall was just traded to get out of cap hell and that’s when you never get value. Like Bjorkstrand trade year ago

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Regarding Kuznetsov caps can trade him to Hawks; and Hawks in turn can trade him at 50% retained basically a 3 team deal if push comes to shove. Hawks are still rebuilding so they won't be trading for him to play; more likely to get more assets for future.

Regarding Ovi; last I heard the caps owner was content with the cup they won; and was all about Ovi breaking Gretzky's goal record. I am not sure caps are looking to compete and win in the playoffs at the moment. I think Ovi will retire as a capital; he won't be traded; same as Crosby/Malkin IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad