Confirmed with Link: Kunin and #101 for Bonino, #37 and #70

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Billy Guerin came in here and gave this team 1 year to see what it was made of. He didn't like what he saw and decided change needed to happen. Maybe the new director of amateur scouting was asked for his assessment of Donato, Kunin and others and maybe that's why Guerin is dealing them now because maybe Brackett didn't like them as much as our previous management did.

Also according to Russo (his podcast last night) and capfriendly the Wild after the 20-21 season have 40+ million free in cap space. This doesn't include signing a goalie via FA or trade or any of our current RFA's but that's ton of cash to work with to go get guys that Guerin wants here.

Bottom line is Guerin is shaking things up, building the team he believes will have the best chance in the future of going deep in the playoffs and making that run to the cup.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The other thing that came to light yesterday was the degree to which Poile and the Predators pursued Kunin rather than him being sold off. If Guerin figured he needed to move at least one more winger before the season started and Kunin was the guy that had the most attention this looks like the right play.
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Parise-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello
Johansson-Bonino-Bjugstad
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Lineup subject to change. At this point I’m not even sure where Greenway plays. It looks almost destined for him to be traded. The entire top 6 is under team control for years. The third line is the “pending UFA” line, but I don’t see Greenway playing over any of them.

Reactions: Aftershave

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Lineup subject to change. At this point I’m not even sure where Greenway plays. It looks almost destined for him to be traded. The entire top 6 is under team control for years. The third line is the “pending UFA” line, but I don’t see Greenway playing over any of them.
If Evason and Guerin have real stones Greenway and Parise are swapped in that lineup. (Well, I'd probably have Johansson up with Ek or Rossi and Greenway with Bonino, but you get the point).

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

No chance that Rossi will be the #1 center to start the year off for us. He'll most likely make the team as currently constructed but my guess is he'll be sheltered somewhat and putting him on the #1 line is throwing him to the wolves. He may be more like the #3 or #4 center and slowly acclimate to the NHL before taking on more responsibility, etc.

Reactions: 57special

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No chance that Rossi will be the #1 center to start the year off for us. He'll most likely make the team as currently constructed but my guess is he'll be sheltered somewhat and putting him on the #1 line is throwing him to the wolves. He may be more like the #3 or #4 center and slowly acclimate to the NHL before taking on more responsibility, etc.
or maybe he earns it in training camp and runs with it right away. may be weak on the dot to start the year but he could acclimate to the nhl right away and be just fine.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
or maybe he earns it in training camp and runs with it right away. may be weak on the dot to start the year but he could acclimate to the nhl right away and be just fine.
man I hope you're right. I want nothing more than Rossi to come in here, earn the spot out of camp and just tear up this league. I'm just trying to be realistic on how many 19 yr old kids have done that in this league. I don't want this kid to be ruined because the Wild pushed him and expected him to be more than he is at this young age. You always hear people saying that if you ruin the kids confidence is could set them back years and that's the last thing i want to see happen to Rossi.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Ryan Hartman was a 23 year-old former first rounder when deal from the Blackhawks to Nashville. In his previous two seasons he had 27 goals and 56 points in 133 GP. He returned a late 1st, a late 4th and a nothing prospect.

Luke Kunin will be 23 in December. In his previous two seasons he had 21 goals and 48 points in 112 GP. He, along with a high 4th returned a high 2nd, a high 3rd and a better player albeit one with a shorter life-span. But said player should easily return at least another 2nd+ at the deadline.

Kunin probably regarded slightly higher at the time of the trades but they are pretty comparable and we all know where Hartman is now. Yes, Kunin is a different guy and I could be dead wrong even making this comparison - maybe next season in Nashville he has 25 goals and 55 points and this deal looks every bit as bad as some here think it is. I personally don't see that as his future average season but I you guys watch him more than me so maybe my entire analysis is dead wrong.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. Not a ton of players return 2nd + 3rd + better UFA so it's not like Kunin didn't have value. I just viewed it as a weird move for a team that is trying to get younger. The only solutions I came up with were 1) Bonino actually plays center 2) Bonino is a faster player than Kunin 3) Bonino can potentially be traded for a late 1st at the TDL 4) getting Brackett as many high round picks as possible is a good thing.
If Evason and Guerin have real stones Greenway and Parise are swapped in that lineup. (Well, I'd probably have Johansson up with Ek or Rossi and Greenway with Bonino, but you get the point).
I think the only way Parise is not in the lineup is if he's traded. Fans have gone stale on him but it would be really dumb IMO for him to not be playing. He's still a good player and better than Greenway (fancy stats people will cry about this I'm sure).
I just threw a lineup together because that's who I see playing. The issue I'm pointing out is there is still no room on the wings for Greenway unless someone is traded.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What are you guys looking for / expect in return for Greenway? Does this set the precedent that management is looking for more futures/picks. Is there potential to try and tie Greenway to Dumba for an even bigger blockbuster deal should that materialize? Greenway seems like a hard player to project value to. The raw numbers aren’t great. But obviously he’s got some unique traits. I’d wager there are a few GMs out there who might be really intrigued if he’s available.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

The ordering of the lines doesn't matter. The idea in such a scenerio (which i'm in favor of) is that those three get all the O zone starts in the world.

We've traditionally just rolled our lines, as there wasn't a clear seperation between them. Evason can earn his paycheck and play the matchup game with this roster given both Bonino and Ek lines in those scenario's would be capable of playing against other teams scoring lines. (although i'd probably switch Johansson and Foligno)

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What are you guys looking for / expect in return for Greenway? Does this set the precedent that management is looking for more futures/picks. Is there potential to try and tie Greenway to Dumba for an even bigger blockbuster deal should that materialize? Greenway seems like a hard player to project value to. The raw numbers aren’t great. But obviously he’s got some unique traits. I’d wager there are a few GMs out there who might be really intrigued if he’s available.
Dumba+Greenway should return a young 2nd line center. I think at this point the idea is to keep Dumba through expansion. The only players left that are unprotected are Soucy and Greenway.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd still probably just keep Greenway for now, expansion be damned.
I’d kick the tires on a Foligno trade then. Might be worth a 2nd or 3rd to a team needing grit and defense. I wonder if we could scoop Seattle into taking Rask with a pick.

Reactions: Bazeek

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
I’d kick the tires on a Foligno trade then. Might be worth a 2nd or 3rd to a team needing grit and defense. I wonder if we could scoop Seattle into taking Rask with a pick.
Yeah I don't think Guerin wants to get rid of Greenway. If he did he probably already had a chance to and didn't. He had a long heart to heart after the season with Greenway and told him what he expects from him and with all the changes Guerin has made I expect Greenway to come in with a different mindset and actually take being a pro serious and work his arse off or he will be shipped out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMTHook and ctmagic

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah I don't think Guerin wants to get rid of Greenway. If he did he probably already had a chance to and didn't. He has a long heart to heart after the season with Greenway and told him what he expects from him and with all the changes Guerin has made I expect Greenway to come in with a different mindset and actually take being a pro serious and work his arse off or he will be shipped out.
Expansion
4F: Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, Eriksson Ek
4D: Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba
1G: Kahkonen
Exposes: Greenway, Soucy, Sturm, Hartman, Stalock (Menell and Belpedio as well?)
UFAs: Johansson, Bonino, Bjugstad, Foligno, Pateryn, Hunt
Protection exempt: Rossi, Kaprizov, Addison

I think Guerin has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to lose a good young player for nothing. He traded Kunin (+pick) for a UFA that is better and keeps the team competitive + a couple of decent picks. Donato gone for just a pick. At what point is a player like Greenway to be traded because he's probably just another big bottom 6 player that isn't anything special? I'd almost use Greenway as bait for Seattle to take Rask but that might be too late and put us at a disadvantage.

keeneyedobserver

Mar 5, 2014
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

We have to keep Greenway and Fogligno or have the Smurfiest team ever! That first line would get run over without some protection in the line-up.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
We have to keep Greenway and Fogligno or have the Smurfiest team ever! That first line would get run over without some protection in the line-up.
this isn't the NHL of 20 yrs ago where you need tough guys in your lineup. Look at TB they don't have a monster lineup but just really talented, fast, skilled guys.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Try to be a little realistic here, they won't put two kids including a teenager who have yet to play in this league on the top line...lol

Parise and Zucc will most likely not play together, need balance with some experience on both 1st and 2nd line.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
this isn't the NHL of 20 yrs ago where you need tough guys in your lineup. Look at TB they don't have a monster lineup but just really talented, fast, skilled guys.
I agree with your point but Tampa bay might not be the best example. They went out this last season to get grit and size from players like Big Rig to help them in the playoffs.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Try to be a little realistic here, they won't put two kids including a teenager who have yet to play in this league on the top line...lol

Parise and Zucc will most likely not play together, need balance with some experience on both 1st and 2nd line.
I think Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala will be the 1st line eventually. Put Rossi wherever, you missed the entire point of the post. The point is we have too many left wingers. Hell our top 2 right wingers are left handed. Someone has to go or we will have young player stagnate development (Greenway) or an expensive press box (Parise+Rask). Finding a taker for Parise would be awesome... However, look at the asking price for Fleury. That's $7m for 2 years. It'd probably cost an asset to move Parise or we take an equally bad contract back.
I'll take skill over size any day. Beefy bottom 6ers are not hard to come by... Which is why if Greenway does have high value it might make sense to trade him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll take skill over size any day. Beefy bottom 6ers are not hard to come by... Which is why if Greenway does have high value it might make sense to trade him.
I think Greenway has the potential to be more than just bottom-6 beef. May main pitch for keeping him around would be this: if we're going to run top lines with guys like Rossi, Fiala and Kaprizov, wouldn't it be nice to be able to play them with some muscle that can handle a puck? Boldy and Beckman aren't small guys either, but I don't think either will be as good at opening up space as Greenway can be.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think Greenway has the potential to be more than just bottom-6 beef. May main pitch for keeping him around would be this: if we're going to run top lines with guys like Rossi, Fiala and Kaprizov, wouldn't it be nice to be able to play them with some muscle that can handle a puck? Boldy and Beckman aren't small guys either, but I don't think either will be as good at opening up space as Greenway can be.
the bolded is my issue with him. right now he has decent stock, we could gamble and sell high and potential make off like bandits if he busts or fully regret it once he realizes how to properly use his size all the time and dominate.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
the bolded is my issue with him. right now he has decent stock, we could gamble and sell high and potential make off like bandits if he busts or fully regret it once he realizes how to properly use his size all the time and dominate.
We could and I think I'm probably in the minority here, but of the Donato/Kunin/Greenway group Greenway's the one I'd put my chips on turning into something.

Reactions: ctmagic

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
We could and I think I'm probably in the minority here, but of the Donato/Kunin/Greenway group Greenway's the one I'd put my chips on turning into something.
i agree with you in the fact that he has actually shown flashes of being that something, i think BG telling him straight up he needs to be more committed to hockey instead of fortnite hopefully wakes him up to the reality that he could be and needs to be better.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
He had a long heart to heart after the season with Greenway and told him what he expects from him and with all the changes Guerin has made I expect Greenway to come in with a different mindset and actually take being a pro serious and work his arse off or he will be shipped out.

this, I think greenway has a high ceiling and GMBG wants to see if he can tap into that potential. Glad he moved Kunin out of the two. Greenway will get opportunities this season, still holding out hope Parise can get moved.

Reactions: grimmel95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad