Kulikov

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Occasionally for a shift or two, yes.

But the main problem has been that Guds can't handle the 25+ minutes Campbell plays on a nightly basis.

IIRC correctly Guds' highest TOI was around 22-23 minutes this season. I think he can handle the minutes, the assignments are the issue. He tends to get walked in on in his current role, giving him the Crosbys et all is very bad idea.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Random question, but has a Guds-Campbell pairing ever really been tried? If we brought in a Niskanen or an Orpik type vet, I don't see why Kuli couldn't play with them on our top line. Then put Soup and Guds on our second. Guds would play a shut down role, allowing Soup to take offensive chances. Also, putting Soup on the second pairing would let his minutes to go down because, lets face it, the guy looked gassed playing 27 min a night. Let him play 21-23 including extra PP time, Guds can play 16-19. Kuli and a good UFA are capable of playing 22-24 minutes easy. My main concern for this is that I just don't think Kulikov and Campbell work well together with their offense-first styles and I really want a good vet to play with Kuli. Best scenario would be getting a vet to play with all three (Campbell, Kuli, Guds), making our lines Cambell-UFA, Kuli-UFA, Guds-UFA. However, I highly doubt we add more than two Dmen this offseason. Plus we have to deal with Jovo. Also, although I am highly advocating for Ekblad, I don't think he should play here next season unless we get a good vet for him to play with (ie. nobody currently on our roster)

Perfect scenario:

Kulikov-Niskanen
Campbell-Greene
Guds-Stralman

Likely:

Kulikov-Orpik
Campbell-Guds
Jovo-UFA/Olsen

Orpik as a top D is so wrong. He would become the next Kuba if we signed him.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
Somebody needs to play on the top spot with either Campbell or Kuli...they play way to risky to be paired together. Ideally Orpik is a bottom four defenseman, but I think he's a good enough shut down Dman that can log big minutes to be put on our top line. Not sure who's better in the UFA crop aside from Niskanen (who will likely be resigned).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Somebody needs to play on the top spot with either Campbell or Kuli...they play way to risky to be paired together. Ideally Orpik is a bottom four defenseman, but I think he's a good enough shut down Dman that can log big minutes to be put on our top line. Not sure who's better in the UFA crop aside from Niskanen (who will likely be resigned).

The UFA market for Ds this year is weak. Real weak. Gilbert is going to be one of the best out there. And while a capable player, he is nowhere near a top D pairing. Hence, imo, drafting Ekblad makes a lot of sense to me.

I like Niskanen, but he's been over-performing this season according to Pens fans. Maybe this will be his level, or maybe he goes back down to being a middle pairing guy. I think the latter more than the former. But anything over $5m for the guy will be crazy money. Although I suppose we do have $30 million to spend!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad