Kulikov

Jan 19, 2006
The possibility of drafting Ekblad had me pull stats on our current d-men.

Did not realize that Kulikov was a -26 for this year (worse than Fleischmann's -18).

The closest d-man is the much maligned Gudbranson at -7 (Campbell is -6).

+/- is not the most telling statistic but the difference is enough to raise an eyebrow.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He played the entire year, no?

Besides, he was awful the first half of the year. Hell 5-6 of those -'s could be directly related to one of his brainfart passes to the opposing team.

Can't expect too much offense from him when his RD was the offensive stud, Weaver.

I think Tallon will talk to him before the draft and see where Kulikov(agent) is pricing himself at. Anything crazy and Tallon takes Ekblad and we see Kulikov get moved.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He's a potential UFA in 2016, next year should be make or break for him. He'll either solidify a reliable top4 position, or gets traded.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He's a UFA this summer!
*RFA

He's yet to reach the year he turns 27, or 7 NHL seasons. He'll reach the 7 seasons by 2016 when he's only 25yo, making him one of the youngest UFAs (to reach UFA by playing 7) in recent history. Of course, this is pending on that the final year of his contract is 15-16.

Basically this means that Panthers own his rights at least until 2016, and beyond that it's all in Kulikov's hands if he wants to remain a Panther or not.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
*RFA
He's yet to reach the year he turns 27, or 7 NHL seasons. He'll reach the 7 seasons by 2016 when he's only 25yo, making him one of the youngest UFAs (to reach UFA by playing 7) in recent history. Of course, this is pending on that the final year of his contract is 15-16.

Basically this means that Panthers own his rights at least until 2016, and beyond that it's all in Kulikov's hands if he wants to remain a Panther or not.

yeah, I amended my post.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Right now he's the only other D-man who can log ~25 minutes besides Soup. It would be foolish to move him with the current FA crop or even with drafting Ekblad.

I say sign him on a 4-5 year deal starting at 3 and working to 5mil.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Even with Ekblad, it's a poor decision to deal Kulikov. Defense isn't something you can get by with two or three good players. You need a strong set of six.

Kulikov didn't fairly represent that -26. He looked rotten at times, but I don't think he was any worse than Gudbranson back on D. Or worse than Olsen.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
Kulikov was our best Dman for the majority of the second half of this season. You don't move a young puck moving Dman because they have brain farts at the age of 23 or 24 or whatever he is. Also, his value is probably close to an all time low, why trade now? Lock him up to a reasonable contract for 5 years (3.5m up to 5m) and if he doesn't improve by year 3 trade him. There is nobody to replace him with in free agency, and if we do draft Ekblad he will not be on Kuli's level for a year or two.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Kulikov was our best Dman for the majority of the second half of this season. You don't move a young puck moving Dman because they have brain farts at the age of 23 or 24 or whatever he is. Also, his value is probably close to an all time low, why trade now? Lock him up to a reasonable contract for 5 years (3.5m up to 5m) and if he doesn't improve by year 3 trade him. There is nobody to replace him with in free agency, and if we do draft Ekblad he will not be on Kuli's level for a year or two.

This... apparently people think Eckblad will win the Norris trophy next season....

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I remember a time when we had a young stud defender in Jay Bouwmeester...

Guess what... despite the fact that Bouw was a good defender, our D still sucked.

And please, save your criticism of Bouwmeester for another thread. I know he wasn't all that, but he was decent. He sucks for many other reasons.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Right now he's the only other D-man who can log ~25 minutes besides Soup. It would be foolish to move him with the current FA crop or even with drafting Ekblad.

I say sign him on a 4-5 year deal starting at 3 and working to 5mil.

sign him to a contract that is tradeable

I agree with ETL.

You don't rid 24 yo puck moving dmen frivolously.

Even with Ekblad, it's a poor decision to deal Kulikov. Defense isn't something you can get by with two or three good players. You need a strong set of six.

Kulikov didn't fairly represent that -26. He looked rotten at times, but I don't think he was any worse than Gudbranson back on D. Or worse than Olsen.

This... apparently people think Eckblad will win the Norris trophy next season....

Keep him, we need the depth.

I agree with all of you, we should sign him to a reasonable contract. He has not finished developing and I have a feeling if we get rid of him we will regret it.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

$3.5m sure I can live with that. But $5m - way too much imo.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
I would rather keep Kuli then Olsen. We should aim for one of the better blueliner in the UFA and have a blueline like this
Soupy - UFA
Guddy - Kuli
Ekblad - Olsen
7th cheap UFA like weaver or something, and let Petro get another year in SA and recall him when we get injuries and play him on a 3rd pairing.

Last edited:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I would rather keep Kuli then Olsen. We should aim for one of the better blueliner in the UFA and have a blueline like this
Soupy - UFA
Guddy - Kuli
Ekblad - Olsen
7th cheap UFA like weaver or something, and let Petro get another year in SA and recall him when we get injuries and play him on a 3rd pairing.

I think Olsen is your Cheap #7. Tallon wants 2 UFA D-men so I think it will be more

Soup - UFA
Kuli - UFA
Ekblad - Guds

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if we draft ekblad then that means gudbranson will probably be on the 2nd line, most likely with kulikov if we resign him. i wouldnt want gudbranson and ekblad together, they're both young and id prefer a vet with both of them, thats why i actually wouldnt be too opposed to trading kulikov IF we could get a solid forward in return. also if he's asking for too much.

i think he'd sign a 3yr deal here, 4 tops, 4.25per is the highest id like to go. i think he'd be better served to be traded anyways, so perhaps he'd ask more from us than what he might for another team. i think they'd at least explore what the market is for him, especially if we draft kulikov. and we better buyout jovo and keep olsen and petrovic both in the ahl. jovo needs to stay away from ekblad if we draft him.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
You guys are complaining so much about money and term, but keep in mind we have so much money to spend in the offseason. Not saying we should be stupid about it but I think we can afford an extra bump from 3.5 to 4.5m for Kulikov. I'd honestly happily sign him at 5 years and 5m because I think in two years (maybe sooner) that 5m will be a steal for him. He's played great in this second half and I look forward to seeing him break out next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad