Player Discussion: Kulemin - How much do we retain to move him?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Kulemin is an odd issue. From what I have read most of us agree his cost/value ratio is low due to his depressed scoring this year, and near no show in the playoffs. Of course he has solid value as a defensive forward too, as many here have admitted as well. Ultimately salary becomes the big issue with him, as it should with the salary cap now. It is the one thing preventing us from moving him.

He is signed for $4.2 million for the next two years. Assuming you'd like to move him to free up space, how much of that 4.2 would we have to eat to get someone to bite on him?

Last edited:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
At this point I don't see the point in moving him unless we need the space for a real RW.

To answer your question though...I think if we retained 1.2 maybe someone would bite at 3M.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think we're stuck with both Kulemin and Grabovski. I do think they are infinitely more moveable when they are in the last year of their deals. With 2 years, no one is going to want that.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Edmonton has a real issue with goals against. I think they'd bite if we ate enough salary. The question is, where is the tipping point on retention vs just keeping him? He has value for us for the same reason I think he'd have value for other clubs. I like the guy, he is just $1.5 or more over what his real value is. If he ***** the bed next season though he may have zero value even at max retention. I'd try to move him now for that reason.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Edmonton has a real issue with goals against. I think they'd bite if we ate enough salary. The question is, where is the tipping point on retention vs just keeping him? He has value for us for the same reason I think he'd have value for other clubs. I like the guy, he is just $1.5 or more over what his real value is. If he ***** the bed next season though he may have zero value even at max retention. I'd try to move him now for that reason.

Kulemin is still useful for us. He plays a very honest game, you can never question his effort, and he's one of our PK mainstays. He's not worth what he's paid, but he contributes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Honestly I wonder if Kulemin is going to replace Martin on the fourth line and not Chimera.

I don't see Kulemin scoring 20 goals again, and Chimera did that last year.

Food for thought.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Honestly I wonder if Kulemin is going to replace Martin on the fourth line and not Chimera.

Food for thought.

I think if they find a home for Bailey, and they decide to roll the kid line back as the 2nd line and C cubed as the 3rd line, Prince/Quine/Kulemin is your fourth line

Kulemin not going to put up as much points as any of the guys on the C Cubed line

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think if the Islanders trade Kulemin or Bailey it will probably be a case that they will be included in a trade at nil value for a player with a bigger contract.

Just using an example when Ottawa traded for Phaneuf, they included Cowen and Michalek in the deal just for Toronto to eat some salary

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We're stuck with all 3 of Grabovski, Kulemin and Bailey. No team would take them. This isn't NHL 17 where it's easy to trade away dead weight. If we want to trade them away-we need to add something of value.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I think we should try to trade Bailey and Grabovski before Kulemin, of course easier said then done. I still think Ladd-Lee-Chimera-Kulemin is a solid left side. All big guys who do good work along the boards with a decent scoring touch as well, 3/4 have potted 25 at some point in their career.

If we trade Kulemin somehow, I just hope Nelson is permanently placed at LW.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Would not look to move Kulemin if it means retaining money or losing an asset. We just lost our top Pker, in no rush to move the guy he was paired with.

Grabovski is an issue and that's about it.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the Islanders should look into a bad contract for a bad contract(who is a RW) type deal in regards to Kulemin or Bailey. Jason Pominville maybe?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I think the Islanders should look into a bad contract for a bad contract(who is a RW) type deal in regards to Kulemin or Bailey. Jason Pominville maybe?

Eh...idk about Pominville at 5M...eapecially being he is signed longer then our bad contracts.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Eh...idk about Pominville at 5M...eapecially being he is signed longer then our bad contracts.

That definitely could be a deal breaker(plus he is 34 already). Another negative is if he isn't scoring he is completely useless unlike Kulemin and to a lesser degree Bailey

All that being said he has only had 1 really bad season(last year) and could potentially bounce back and if that's the case could be a great fit for Tavares.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
This guy is being underrated on here...

He led all our forwards with +13, he is also a good penalty killer

Do not get rid of Kulemin. Would rather get rid of Grabovski over Kulemin. Sure Kulemin is a little overpaid, but he is a good shutdown FWD. We need him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do not get rid of Kulemin. Would rather get rid of Grabovski over Kulemin. Sure Kulemin is a little overpaid, but he is a good shutdown FWD. We need him.

A healthy Grabovski would be somewhat easy to trade, but given his injury history nobody is going to touch him unless you pay them alot to take him off our hands(either that or we could always trade him to the Kings for Dustin Brown(not that I am suggesting we actually do that given how bad Brown contract already is and it will only get worse for the next 6 seasons, although it probably would make us a better team for the next 2 years))

Last edited:

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Need to keep Kuli....getting rid of him for anything less than a top 4 forward, in a package, would be a mistake. He might not score a lot, but is a steadying type player and we will still need that on the second or third line.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

Food for thought.
I see more Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck as our 3rd line than 4th. I think Kulemin-Grobovski(or Quine)-Bailey is our real 4th line.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Food for thought.

Roster flexibility - Kulemin can play on the 4th line if 84 is healthy and 11 shows he needs to be in the lineup everyday or 25 shows he needs bigger minutes. The good thing is the lineup has no Mcdonald or Bernier - I can see all 13 players needing to be in the lineup and now if you add 13 (Barzal) to the mix.

BUT, no one is trading for Kulemin - keep him he is needed more than ever to be a key player of the PK.
Remember you need players who can be exposed in the expansion draft - Bailey and Kulemin fulfill the F quota.

I still think we need to make a deal here - I would focus on a C.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Andrew Ladd is a very good PKer.

I wouldn't say he is "very good", but he can definitely line up behind Cizikas and Kulemin if need be.

Personally I think Chimera will see more second PK unit time than Ladd. Cronin will love his speed.

I'm assuming they want Nelson as the second PK unit center? I'm not comfortable at all with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad