Proposal: Kuemper to Toronto

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There is absolutely no reason for Arizona to accept a massive downgrade in goal while going an additional 500kay over the cap (they're already over the cap by more than a million). Arizona's post-bonus salary payroll is extraordinarily low, and well, well below the internal budget. Freddy's lower salary is certainly appealing but not at the cost of giving away a an elite goalie for an average one and a lousy mid-round pick. No chance.
Clearly not. We don't want a massive downgrade in goal either, but this is about Freddy and Darcy neither of whom represent a massive downgrade in goal. I think Darcy is the better of the two though.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
No chance Kuemper has this much trade value. You would never get a 1st on top of a goalie like Andersen. The only reason Toronto is even exploring moving Freddy is for salary related reasons, not to improve at the position. Starting goaltending is the least of this team's problems over the last few years and if it was financially viable I have no doubt they'd love to extend Freddy long term.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Clearly not. We don't want a massive downgrade in goal either, but this is about Freddy and Darcy neither of whom represent a massive downgrade in goal. I think Darcy is the better of the two though.

Exactly. You can make a valid argument that Darcy is the better goalie for sure, but the difference between the two is extremely minimal. Freddy regularly stands on his head and steals games for a team whose run and gun style of play is very unforgiving for a goalie and results in more high danger scoring chances against than most teams in the league. He's been a top 10 goalie in the league for the last few years.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
James Reimer + CAR 2021 1st for Kuemper
or
Nino Niederreiter + James Reimer + CAR 2021 1st + Jack Drury for Kuemper + Goligoski

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Exactly but then TOR has to find a third party to take Andersen. Because I don't see why ARI would trade Kuemper for anything less than a 1st.

$$$

Arizona is likely looking for a way to clear salary. A deal straight up allows them to do so, while also freeing up Raanta to go for picks/prospects, as Freddy is a #1 goalie that you could run with him and Hill.

Alternatively, do something to the tune of:

To Toronto:
-Kuemper

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer
- 2nd Round Pick from Carolina

Canes get a substantial upgrade in goal for this year, with a minimal cash outlay, plus front of line to extend Andersen should it work out. Costs them a 2nd.

Coyotes get an even cheaper goalie than Andersen.

Leafs make a lateral move -- in getting somebody who may be better in a 40-50 game role which is what they're probably figuring with Campbell, save a bit of cap and get some cost certainty for next year.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Let's keep it simple. I like the Leafs skaters. I would like to upgrade on Freddy Andersen.

Andersen + 2021 1st (top 3 protected) for Kuemper

The Coyotes cut payroll with Andersen making only $1 million. They get a desperately needed 1st round pick and a competent starter if they want to try and make the playoffs. Or, an additional asset to flip at the deadline if things go badly.

The Leafs get a better starter with an extra year of control for $500k less against the cap. They lose a valuable 1st rounder, but I believe the 2021 draft seems a little weak and they already have a fairly deep prospect pool imo.

We are not giving up a first rounder to trade Andersen-a perfectly good goalie to get one extra year. Your a cash strapped team who is hemorrhaging cash and needs Andersen as much as we might need the cost certainty for the extra year.

Straight up sure but not a chance we give a first for one year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
$$$

Arizona is likely looking for a way to clear salary. A deal straight up allows them to do so, while also freeing up Raanta to go for picks/prospects, as Freddy is a #1 goalie that you could run with him and Hill.

To Toronto:
-Kuemper

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer

Canes get a substantial upgrade in goal for this year, with a minimal cash outlay, plus front of line to extend Andersen should it work out. Costs them a 2nd.

Leafs make a lateral move -- in getting somebody who may be better in a 40-50 game role which is what they're probably figuring with Campbell, save a bit of cap and get some cost certainty for next year.

Yeah, no. The Canes would just cut Toronto out and take the superior goalie signed for longer in Kuemper.

Cap matters to the Canes, not salary.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why are so many Leafs fans saying Arizona is desperate to clear salary and therefore must accept a terrible trade for Kuemper? Vancouver fans said the same thing about OEL. Arizona was unwilling to make a bad trade just to clear money. They haven’t changed their minds in the last week.

Arizona has an internal salary budget cap and they are well below it. They intend to spend to the NHL salary cap again this season. They are current a million dollars over the cap.

Now that bonuses have been paid, Arizona has one of the cheapest cash rosters in the league. They’re well below the internal budget, despite being above the NHL salary cap.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Why are so many Leafs fans saying Arizona is desperate to clear salary and therefore must accept a terrible trade for Kuemper? Vancouver fans said the same thing about OEL. Arizona was unwilling to make a bad trade just to clear money. They haven’t changed their minds in the last week.

Arizona has an internal salary budget cap and they are well below it. They intend to spend to the NHL salary cap again this season. They are current a million dollars over the cap.

Now that bonuses have been paid, Arizona has one of the cheapest cash rosters in the league. They’re well below the internal budget, despite being above the NHL salary cap.
How is Andersen and a first a terrible trade for Arizona? Of anything the Leafs get hosed

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
$$$

To Toronto:
-Kuemper

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer

so the leafs get a better, slightly cheaper goalie for nothing and ARI gets a way worse goalie for only a second ? Sure... no such thing as a free lunch. That is the kind of deal you would look for though.

More realistically, you would have

To Toronto:
- Kuemper
- 2nd CAR

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer
- 1st TOR

That is more enticing to ARI, does not change anything for CAR, while TOR only goes back one round at the draft to improve from Kuemper to Andersen. Really if I am ARI mgmt, I have few assets with value, why would I trade Kuemper for less than a 1st ?

Reactions: StonedAF

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
so the leafs get a better, slightly cheaper goalie for nothing and ARI gets a way worse goalie for only a second ? Sure... no such thing as a free lunch. That is the kind of deal you would look for though.

To Toronto:
- Kuemper
- 2nd CAR

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer
- 1st TOR

That is more enticing to ARI, does not change anything for CAR, while TOR only goes back one round at the draft to improve from Kuemper to Andersen. Really if I am ARI mgmt, I have few assets with value, why would I trade Kuemper for less than a 1st ?
Username checks out.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah, no. The Canes would just cut Toronto out and take the superior goalie signed for longer in Kuemper.

Cap matters to the Canes, not salary.

And to the extent that salary matters, salary goes up $150K in this deal.

If you want to argue the Canes need to cut payroll, Reimer is not the goalie to try to move.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Username checks out.

Thanks. :) But where this is maybe not rational is that most likely CAR could go directly to ARI with Reimer + 1st, and it's like, why do we need TOR for ? Only if TOR is ready to spend a 1st and not CAR. CAR should be a contender but they seem to fly under the radar right now, maybe they'd be ready to pay a 1st for Kuemper because their goaltending had been quite average lately.

Reactions: Chrispy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

To Toronto:
- Kuemper
- 2nd CAR

To Carolina
- Andersen

To Arizona
- Reimer
- 1st TOR

Still doesn't explain why Carolina would do this instead of deal directly with Arizona for Keumper.

The discount on getting Andersen for Reimer would have to be a lot better than a 2nd to avoid trying to acquire Keumper directly.

I still see Carolina offering a recent 1st round pick to Arizona before the 2021 first, with Bean or Bokk as candidates to deal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
... I swear Dermott is so underrated right now, it's not even funny.

Every player is overrated by their fan base (myself included I thought Domi could fetch Brodin, he got Anderson - 3rd ;) ) : remember the Bracco threads with him having tons of value but the Leafs just being too talented, well he is free to sign anywhere now since he has not even been qualified. Not saying Dermott is the new Bracco, but saying he would be worth a 1st to ARI is wrong in my opinion, especially if you factor in the tail probability that TOR does not make the playoffs and ARI gets a top 10 pick.

I have nothing against the Leafs and wish any Canadian team would win the playoffs.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Still doesn't explain why Carolina would do this instead of deal directly with Arizona for Keumper.

The discount on getting Andersen for Reimer would have to be a lot better than a 2nd to avoid trying to acquire Keumper directly.

I still see Carolina offering a recent 1st round pick to Arizona before the 2021 first, with Bean or Bokk as candidates to deal.

Yes that would also be a solution, as mentioned, I believe CAR would go that road before the three way deal (I just mentioned the three way deal would only make sense if CAR did not want to give up more than a 2nd). Is ARI rebuilding by the way ? If so, I guess you'd prefer your own 1st next year right, esp. since you don't have one yet, right ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad