Proposal: Kuemper to Toronto

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Let's keep it simple. I like the Leafs skaters. I would like to upgrade on Freddy Andersen.

Andersen + 2021 1st (top 3 protected) for Kuemper

The Coyotes cut payroll with Andersen making only $1 million. They get a desperately needed 1st round pick and a competent starter if they want to try and make the playoffs. Or, an additional asset to flip at the deadline if things go badly.

The Leafs get a better starter with an extra year of control for $500k less against the cap. They lose a valuable 1st rounder, but I believe the 2021 draft seems a little weak and they already have a fairly deep prospect pool imo.

Reactions: SotasicA

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a Coyotes fan, I would do it. I personally feel Kuemper is an elite goaltender. I don't think there are five better in the world. I also think that his cap-hit makes him a huge steal, from a performance-to-cap-hit perspective. Very valuable.

But Arizona is desperate for picks, and with the OEL NMC, I don't know how else we can get a first other than Kuemper. I also think that Freddy is an above average goalie. So we can still have decent goaltending and a 1st, which seems like the right thing to me. Especially since we probably aren't going to be offering Kuemper an extension. With Stepan, Raanta, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers, etc all on expiring contracts, I think the rebuild is coming. It's just we've been stuck in limbo because of the crazy market. It doesn't make sense for the Coytoes to re-sign Kuemper given all of that.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Wouldn't add a first but would be down for this if it's more like a 3rd /b prospect type sweetner. Andersons actual salary is lower than his cap which Coyotes could find appealing. Getting Keumper and Crouse would be a keen add if it can be worked out .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wouldn't add a first but would be down for this if it's more like a 3rd /b prospect type sweetner. Andersons actual salary is lower than his cap which Coyotes could find appealing. Getting Keumper and Crouse would be a keen add if it can be worked out .
There is absolutely no reason for Arizona to accept a massive downgrade in goal while going an additional 500kay over the cap (they're already over the cap by more than a million). Arizona's post-bonus salary payroll is extraordinarily low, and well, well below the internal budget. Freddy's lower salary is certainly appealing but not at the cost of giving away a an elite goalie for an average one and a lousy mid-round pick. No chance.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
There is absolutely no reason for Arizona to accept a massive downgrade in goal while going an additional 500kay over the cap (they're already over the cap by more than a million). Arizona's post-bonus salary payroll is extraordinarily low, and well, well below the internal budget. Freddy's lower salary is certainly appealing but not at the cost of giving away a an elite goalie for an average one and a lousy mid-round pick. No chance.

I guess I don't see it as a massive downgrade but do agree id rather have him/kuemper is the better tender. Anderson and Dermott 3rd for Keumper and Crouse?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
As a neutral fan and I’d hate to see it happen , I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet . I don’t think a first is necessary though . I think something like Anderson and a 2021 2nd for kuemper and a 2021 5th . Arizona gets a good pick , quality goalie and saves cash . Leafs get a slight upgrade in net for two years for a reduced pick and real cash which is nothing for them . Leaf fans shouldn’t ruin it by getting greedy and adding crouse . There is a deal to be made here that I honestly hope does not happen.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
As a neutral fan and I’d hate to see it happen , I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet . I don’t think a first is necessary though . I think something like Anderson and a 2021 2nd for kuemper and a 2021 5th . Arizona gets a good pick , quality goalie and saves cash . Leafs get a slight upgrade in net for two years for a reduced pick and real cash which is nothing for them .

This is kinda how I view it as well . But my thinking was Zona could maybe use a d in lieu of a forward, hence if a pic is added additionally, may aid in bridging possible value gap.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'd do Kuemper for Andersen straight up.

Arizona gets salary savings and gets to trade Andersen at the deadline for a return.

Toronto saves 500k in cap but takes on more salary.

If Arizona says no, we keep Andersen. I think they are same tier or goaltender so no big + either way.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'd do Kuemper for Andersen straight up.

Arizona gets salary savings and gets to trade Andersen at the deadline for a return.

Toronto saves 500k in cap but takes on more salary.

If Arizona says no, we keep Andersen. I think they are same tier or goaltender so no big + either way.
Reasonable argument for sure . Id give the edge in a draft pick to Arizona because of kuemper’s extra year even though Arizona is benefiting from the cash . I’d hate to see kuemper in Toronto

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I feel like the the LAST thing the Leafs need is goaltending

Andersen
Campbell
Dell

That's pretty good that's 3 NHL caliber goalies
Personally I think there very close but kuemper just seems to be able to be more of a game changer when’s he’s on . I hope yous stick with Anderson or look elsewhere.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Calling it a massive downgrade in goal is a bit much.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I’ve given up trying to predict which teams are on a players ntc list, do posters feel AZ is on Andersen’s list of teams he can’t be traded to? Or not?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Hard no as a Leaf fan.

You'd be going from an undisputed, bonafide, #1 goalie, to a guy who has only once played more than 31 games in a season.

That being said, I think from the Leafs perspective, there is some merit to straight up. Andersen is the better / more proven goalie, while Kuemper has had some unreal numbers in a tandem role on a stout defensive team. He comes with the extra year of control that makes it attractive.

As for Arizona, they do need to clear $, and you cannot get a better #1 goalie for $1m. It would also likely allow them to move Raanta for picks/prospects, and run with an Andersen/Hill combo.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As a Coyotes fan, I would do it. I personally feel Kuemper is an elite goaltender. I don't think there are five better in the world. I also think that his cap-hit makes him a huge steal, from a performance-to-cap-hit perspective. Very valuable.

But Arizona is desperate for picks, and with the OEL NMC, I don't know how else we can get a first other than Kuemper. I also think that Freddy is an above average goalie. So we can still have decent goaltending and a 1st, which seems like the right thing to me. Especially since we probably aren't going to be offering Kuemper an extension. With Stepan, Raanta, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers, etc all on expiring contracts, I think the rebuild is coming. It's just we've been stuck in limbo because of the crazy market. It doesn't make sense for the Coytoes to re-sign Kuemper given all of that.

There is no first coming for Kuemper. That's very simply the new economic reality and the fact that teams have all pretty much made their moves in goal. It's the same reality where you can get Nate Schmidt for a 3rd round pick in 2 years.

Personally I think there very close but kuemper just seems to be able to be more of a game changer when’s he’s on . I hope yous stick with Anderson or look elsewhere.

That may be an accurate assessment, but there is substantial value in getting a guy that can play solidly for 60+ games year in & year out -- something that Kuemper has never done, while he has only once played more than half of his team's games.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Can anyone think of a comparable trade in the last 5 years that would suggest Kuemper would get this kind of return? A 1st plus a starting goaltender on a reasonable contract seems like overkill for a 30YO goalie that has been a starter for like 2 years.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
As a Leaf fan, not a chance in hell. I wouldn't even do Andersen for Kuemper right now. And the last thing we need is to spend assets on goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->