Rumor: Krug's Rights to be traded. DRW in running

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you were Krug, how much money would you ask for to play for this dumpster fire team? Likely in front of Howard or Bernier. Likely with teammates that need you to be the second coming of Orr.

The only reason I would sign here if I was him is because I have already won a Cup and I want to be close to my family. It obviously is not his best option from strictly a hockey POV.

Which would seem crazy.. but then again Yzerman gave up a team about to win a Cup to come here and GM, so who knows.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
We dont have to spend to the cap, getting the vibe from some posts like that is necessary. Wheres Krug's game in 4-5 years when we are semi competent? He'll likely be our token whipping boy defenseman at that point...

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Yeah, there's a lot of smoke around Krug and Detroit right now, it's not exactly a bold prediction to have Krug coming home.

Moreover, I'm fine with paying Krug a lot of money and giving him NMC protection, so long as we keep the term reasonable. Giving Krug 9 x 4 is better than giving him 7 x 7 for me. Overpaying for Krug while he is still productive is fine, this team isn't going to be cap strapped for awhile. If he wants term, then the last few years better not have any signing bonuses or strict trade protections.

This for sure. If we can get Krug on a 9x4 or even 9.5x4 I'm 110% down. If he wants 7/8 years I wouldn't go a dime higher than what Boston was offering him, 6-6.5..

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
AAV is zero issue for me.
Term is a possible concern.
Skill set and age (versus the term) is my focus.

If it's $8M x 3, do it.

If it's Pietrangelo over 7 years, who's a stud in all situations, do it.

But a guy whose strength isn't 5 on 5, and who relies on being quick moreso than being sound positionally, doesn't seem like he'd provide enough impact for enough years to justify a 6-7 year contract.

I like Krug. I just don't like that many years of Krug for what he brings to the table. And if Detroit were one piece away from chasing a Cup, then I'd say screw it and load up anyway. But that's not where we're at.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We dont have to spend to the cap, getting the vibe from some posts like that is necessary. Wheres Krug's game in 4-5 years when we are semi competent? He'll likely be our token whipping boy defenseman at that point...

And we will just magically become semi-competent? You have to add talent at some point. If you get a legitimate NHL defenseman and PP QB, most of the play from your forwards will improve immensely. Krug's game is going to be FAR beyond any defenseman we have not named Hronek or Seider. I mean, if we're paying him 7x10, of course you don't pay him that. That's an insane contract for what he'd provide. But the fact that you're not at all interested in countenancing the addition of an actual good defenseman worries me.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
AAV is zero issue for me.
Term is a possible concern.
Skill set and age (versus the term) is my focus.

If it's $8M x 3, do it.

If it's Pietrangelo over 7 years, who's a stud in all situations, do it.

But a guy whose strength isn't 5 on 5, and who relies on being quick moreso than being sound positionally, doesn't seem like he'd provide enough impact for enough years to justify a 6-7 year contract.

I like Krug. I just don't like that many years of Krug for what he brings to the table. And if Detroit were one piece away from chasing a Cup, then I'd say screw it and load up anyway. But that's not where we're at.
Honestly I'd do $10M x 3 or 4. Full NMC and hefty signing bonuses. It's not like the $3M extra over the next three to four seasons is going to kill us, and it gets Krug a similar dollar amount to what Boston is rumored to have offered. We could easily still take on a bad contract or two over that time period, even after signing Mantha, Bert and Hronek next year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm shocked that 5'9" defenseman is ok while 5'9" center is undersized

Undersized doesn't mean bad. It just means they are smaller than optimal. And Krug is absolutely smaller than optimal. If Krug were a perfect fit that everyone here would be so thrilled about signing, he wouldn't be potentially available. If he were a few inches taller and a couple dozen pounds heavier, his contract would be a lot heavier and Boston wouldn't dream of letting him go.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
And we will just magically become semi-competent? You have to add talent at some point. If you get a legitimate NHL defenseman and PP QB, most of the play from your forwards will improve immensely. Krug's game is going to be FAR beyond any defenseman we have not named Hronek or Seider. I mean, if we're paying him 7x10, of course you don't pay him that. That's an insane contract for what he'd provide. But the fact that you're not at all interested in countenancing the addition of an actual good defenseman worries me.

I dont like him @ the contract Boston reportedly offered so Im sure as hell not going to like what we would have to give him. Maybe Im not as high on him as others, would much rather continue rolling the youth and build through the draft than adding overpriced free agents and find outselves in no mans land. (No playoffs + shit draft pick)

This is a really long process we can add pricey free agents down the line when our roster begins to take shape.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I dont like him @ the contract Boston reportedly offered so Im sure as hell not going to like what we would have to give him. Maybe Im not as high on him as others, would much rather continue rolling the youth and build through the draft than adding overpriced free agents and find outselves in no mans land. (No playoffs + shit draft pick)

This is a really long process we can add pricey free agents down the line when our roster begins to take shape.

It isn't that binary though. You will absolutely destroy the development of your young prospects if you do not surround them with sufficient talent.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
It isn't that binary though. You will absolutely destroy the development of your young prospects if you do not surround them with sufficient talent.

Meh, I dont see Seider busting b/c we didnt add Krug or some other #3 defenseman in his first year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

I'm not saying that we should absolutely go balls to the wall and fill the cap up and all that. But we shouldn't be turning our nose up at improving the roster. I can understand not wanting Krug... but I don't like the idea of literally just "oh, we're gonna suck and we're just going to keep drafting pieces and at some point we will be somehow better and then we can pay money." You're going to piss away years of players and put us in a perpetual rebuild state by completely ignoring one or more of the ways of improving your roster.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I'm not saying that we should absolutely go balls to the wall and fill the cap up and all that. But we shouldn't be turning our nose up at improving the roster. I can understand not wanting Krug... but I don't like the idea of literally just "oh, we're gonna suck and we're just going to keep drafting pieces and at some point we will be somehow better and then we can pay money." You're going to piss away years of players and put us in a perpetual rebuild state by completely ignoring one or more of the ways of improving your roster.

Yea I get that, Im fine adding pieces Im just not fine w Krug @ 7.5m

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
It would be a positive net gain for us regardless. If we're trading a 5th round pick to get a top 4 dman who can upgrade our power play (where we had a 14.9% conversion rate) that's a clear net gain. You can't build only through the draft, you have to make these positive trades that will add stock to the organization. I understand the worry about money but really who are we going to sign? Our team has close to ZERO assets. The only contracts I see coming up in the next five years of any value are Seider, Zadina, and our 4OA who might get his contract slid anyways. Our other prospects aren't poised to demand much and even then they will be restricted.

Reactions: A II R

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Honestly I'd do $10M x 3 or 4. Full NMC and hefty signing bonuses. It's not like the $3M extra over the next three to four seasons is going to kill us, and it gets Krug a similar dollar amount to what Boston is rumored to have offered. We could easily still take on a bad contract or two over that time period, even after signing Mantha, Bert and Hronek next year.
im in agreement with you two on this = the cap hit doesnt matter , its the term . like said 3x10 works for me too , maybe 4x8.5 . then we have the cap space back when it gets important . mean while obviously to be racking up 40 assists per year krugs a high hockey iq that would be great for mentoring all the young d weve got arriving soon . plus a big factor is giving the current core of larks-tuzzi-mantha-hronek-etc some level of hope to win games while boosting their numbers too

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Like we couldn’t trade Krug... teams are always looking for defenseman that can produce on the power play.

We were able to find a suitor for Mike f***ing Green...

Trade Frans Nielsen.
Any suitors?
Justin Abdelkader? Any suitors

You found a suitor for MIKE f***ING GREEN because he was at the end of his career.
So yeah, trade for Torey Krug, sign him to a 7-8 year deal and MAYBE you can trade him at 37 years old. Maybe, for a 5th round pick.

But what happens if Krug comes here and becomes a 35 point player on our lethargic powerplay?

Speaking of Mike f***ing Green.
5 times he topped 20 points at 5 on 5 in Washington. 5 times in 8 seasons. He did it once in 4 seasons in Detroit.

Also speaking of Mike Green... in his first year in Detroit, he had 20 powerplay points.

Mike Green came to Detroit at the age of 30... about Krug's age.

Despite playing WAY more minutes in Detroit, almost four extra minutes per game, Green's stats dropped by 20+ percent in year one in Detroit.
And just kept falling.

Lastly, if Krug is so damned good, why hasn't Boston done more to sign him. They have $14.5M in cap space.
They've offered 6x6.5 and apparently that's not enough to get it done.
There are a lot of Krug fans, but it seems like they are pretty happy with Krug turning that offer offer down and going elsewhere. Why is that?

How much MORE than that are you willing to offer to convince him to come to Detroit?

Frankly, I wouldn't go more than 4X$6M.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
In addition to the 27m we currently have in space, here's what comes off next year:

Staal: 5.7
Helm: 3.85
Nemeth: 3
Filppula: 3
Bernier: 3
Glendening: 1.8
Weiss Buyout: 1.7
Biega: 875k
Gagner: 850k
Pickard: 750k

I can't imagine we resign any of these pieces and if we do, it will be on the cheap. Cap space is not a problem.

Bernier and Nemeth will be replaced by more expensive players, most probably.

From the hockey point of view I do not think this is a good move, not at all.

But Yzerman has to bring a star and make this team watchable. They can't ice a terrible team several seasons in a row, the fans will need something to cheer for.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Bernier and Nemeth will be replaced by more expensive players, most probably.

From the hockey point of view I do not think this is a good move, not at all.

But Yzerman has to bring a star and make this team watchable. They can't ice a terrible team several seasons in a row, the fans will need something to cheer for.

I think it's also for the players as well, we don't want to have a edmonton or buffalo situation where the players are just miserable and waiting to leave asap. You can rebuild but still add to your team at the same time.

Reactions: Winger98

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Quite sure Red Wings are better team after 3-4 years than Boston.

We are trending up. They are trending down soon.

Ryan Suter did want to join average Minnesota. Family reasons. There are reasons.

We are trending up? What the hell are you smoking? We will be a cellar dweller for a minimum 3 more year's. And you think Boston will be right down with us in 3-4 year's? Surely you jest......

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
giphy.gif

Just bumping this...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trade Frans Nielsen.
Any suitors?
Justin Abdelkader? Any suitors

You found a suitor for MIKE f***ING GREEN because he was at the end of his career.
So yeah, trade for Torey Krug, sign him to a 7-8 year deal and MAYBE you can trade him at 37 years old. Maybe, for a 5th round pick.

But what happens if Krug comes here and becomes a 35 point player on our lethargic powerplay?

Speaking of Mike f***ing Green.
5 times he topped 20 points at 5 on 5 in Washington. 5 times in 8 seasons. He did it once in 4 seasons in Detroit.

Also speaking of Mike Green... in his first year in Detroit, he had 20 powerplay points.

Mike Green came to Detroit at the age of 30... about Krug's age.

Despite playing WAY more minutes in Detroit, almost four extra minutes per game, Green's stats dropped by 20+ percent in year one in Detroit.
And just kept falling.

Lastly, if Krug is so damned good, why hasn't Boston done more to sign him. They have $14.5M in cap space.
They've offered 6x6.5 and apparently that's not enough to get it done.
There are a lot of Krug fans, but it seems like they are pretty happy with Krug turning that offer offer down and going elsewhere. Why is that?

How much MORE than that are you willing to offer to convince him to come to Detroit?

Frankly, I wouldn't go more than 4X$6M.

If you can’t see the difference between Krug and Nielsen/Abdelkader, then I’ll pass on discussing this more with you.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad