Kruger Dangerous Play Against Columbus

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
I thought I had seen it all, but this takes the cake. They obviously won't suspend Kruger for this, but the league should immediately adjust the rules and from now on suspend any player who deliberately lunges skates first into anything. I can't believe an NHL player would try something this reckless. Mr. Kruger, you are a grade-A idiot.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
[nhl]2014020487-498-h[/nhl]

I have to say, I don't like that play one bit. Damned lucky that the skates went flush into Bobrovsky's pad, because that had the potential to be really horrendous.

Strictly speaking this isn't GI because Kruger was following a rebound and the contact was incidental to his attempt to play the puck. But it's a pretty sketchy example of how that rule is supposed to work.

Doesn't matter to me one way of the other as to whether they decided goal or no goal, but I think there should be a penalty on that type of play. He basically dived skates first into to goal crease, endangering anyone that his skates could've made contact with. And saying that it should be a penalty, then any goal, legit or not, that followed from it shouldn't count.

So yes, totally agree with you tarheel, I also don't like that play one bit.

member 151739

Dangerous? More like silly. Glad Smith got his stick on it though so it was a good goal.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Can't find a GIF, but anyone see Marcus Kruger's chicken **** home-plate slide into the crease against the Blue Jackets? No stick, just what the hell, think I'll throw my skate blades into the opposing goalie and see what happens.

That wasn't hockey.

Unbelievably, it didn't result in a penalty (interference), but a goal.

Thanks if anyone can find/make a GIF of that horse ****.

Anyway, Jackets win in the SO

Kind of reminds me of another player known for pulling that kind of stunt.
Chris Kreider.Funny how both last names start with a K.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
extremely dangerous and reckless play

bobrovsky is very fortunate that kruger's skates went into his pads instead of higher up. he won't get suspended or fined but i hope the league does something to prevent stupid plays like this

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Here's the relevant rule:

Strictly speaking he was attempting to play the puck (with his skates) so contact that he made with Bobrovsky was incidental. But it's reeeally pushing the spirit of that rule when you're talking about a skates-first slide into the crease.

That was not incidental. Any half blind man could see that.
Refs have been so bad the last few seasons it's ruining the game.
No way that should have counted.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Slide tackling is not hockey. Its a fairly dangerous play in soccer. Putting razor blades on your feet doesnt make it any safer. This kind of play should be 5 and a game.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Doesn't matter to me one way of the other as to whether they decided goal or no goal, but I think there should be a penalty on that type of play. He basically dived skates first into to goal crease, endangering anyone that his skates could've made contact with. And saying that it should be a penalty, then any goal, legit or not, that followed from it shouldn't count.

So yes, totally agree with you tarheel, I also don't like that play one bit.

Absolutely.

What a reckless play. I can't believe they let that goal stand. What a terrible precedent to set.

The league definitely needs to adjust to keep other idiots from doing this. The spirit of the "distinct kicking motion" is to prevent guys from swinging their skates around, and this is even worse.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Are you serious?

Yes.

If somebody was in the vicinity of where Kruger slid into, he wouldn't have attempted that.

Oh boy...:shakehead

"Oh boy" what?

There wasn't anyone where he slid into. If you're in the "skates are lethal weapons when they aren't in contact with the ice" camp, then where's your outrage any time a player slides/dives to block a shot?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Of course that should be a penalty, it's a red card in soccer.

But, since there is nothing on the books, the right call was made. But…that should be a penalty.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Of course that should be a penalty, it's a red card in soccer.

But, since there is nothing on the books, the right call was made. But…that should be a penalty.

Under the circumstances, you're completely correct. But why there's no penalty on the books for such a play is likely because until now no one had been stupid or reckless enough to do such a thing. Obviously now the league should be looking at making an addition to the Rule Book to take account of such idiocy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yes.

If somebody was in the vicinity of where Kruger slid into, he wouldn't have attempted that.

"Oh boy" what?

There wasn't anyone where he slid into. If you're in the "skates are lethal weapons when they aren't in contact with the ice" camp, then where's your outrage any time a player slides/dives to block a shot?

He slid skate first into Bobrovsky? Even if Bobrovsky has pads on, sliding into him could have hurt his leg in other ways(outside of slicing it) it's just a dangerous play to begin with.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
some serious faux-rage ITT. and I'm loling at people who are worried this will become a new strategy or something - it was a loose puck that Kruger spotted and he didn't have a stick. some of these posts make it sound like Kruger attempted to flying kick Bobrovsky with his skates in order to decapitate him.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Yes.

"Oh boy" what?

this is idiotic. He slid skates first into the only area on the ice that is the categorical territory of a player. Hint: they paint it blue.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yes.

Setting the dangerousness of it aside just for a moment, just what the hell was he trying to do, since there is the rule of not allowing a kicked in goal? It was just coincidental that another Hawks player came afterwards and touched to puck with his stick or else it would've been ruled a kicked in goal. The totality of the action by Kruger was just plain stupid and reckless, and should've been ruled goalie interference (since there isn't a rule Yet making illegal what he did).

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
U can kick a puck, just not into the net. Which he did not. He slid kicked the puck to the red line where Smith then tapped it into the net. So it was a good goal.

Yes, but I believe the rule is meant to protect goalies more than it is to prevent goals via skate blades. Now, by the book, I think this is a good goal, but I feel that in this instance Kruger made a dangerous play — a play that the rules are intending to prevent. I'm thankful that nothing bad happened, but the league, IMO, should send out some kind of warning about this play just to caution players and remind them why the rules are the way they are.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
Looking it again I do feel sorry for Columbus defender that prevented illegal goal from happening and thanks to that Smith scored.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, the goalie could have been sliced right open if he wasn't wearing huge pads socks, shin pads, and was seven inches to the left. Close call.

Clint Malarchuk had all that equipment on too.

Intentionally sliding skates first like that is an idiotic and unsafe play.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
c595586b491836bb2135fb603c2f4e5997ce0e2f8e41c30a81af650f568eaff8.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad