Krueger.....is he actually that good of a coach?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why Ralph is a garbage coach: I've watched numerous AHL games and many featuring absolutely horrid teams like Bridgeport, Texas and WBS. Every single one of them features an offense where guys are ALWAYS getting in front of the net (and remember these are terrible teams) but I am supposed to believe that an NHL team is incapable of doing this and just has to use a strategy of firing in point shots on goal with nobody anywhere near the net.

This is a player issue.... not a coach issue.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Did anyone listen to Rob Ray's segment today with S&B? March 9th.

He said that at this time last year, players mentioned to him having no clue as to what they were supposed to do in the defensive zone. The idea being that it wasn't clear what Housley wanted exactly from the players.

Came up in the course of a conversation about coaching in general.

Doesn't really put Housley in a good light. I thought it was interesting.

Not shocking really. Anybody that watched them would know they looked just as lost as they did when he first came on as the coach. It was pretty damn apparent they had communication problems throughout the 2 years.

As for Ralph, they still look terrible in the Dzone.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not shocking really. Anybody that watched them would know they looked just as lost as they did when he first came on as the coach. It was pretty damn apparent they had communication problems throughout the 2 years.

As for Ralph, they still look terrible in the Dzone.

There's two different things going on:

1. You have players that came from man to man systems (Joki, Miller) really struggling in Krueger's zone. I think we can expect Joki to be fine, and develop. But Miller is a bad fit.
2. You have players that suck defensively (Montour, Risto) regardless of scheme.

And then you have McCabe, who is actually resurrecting his career defensively in the zone system he needs to be in.

And then there's the two best all around defensemen on the team.... who for some reason play the least (Dahlin, Pilut)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think the biggest indictment of Krueger is that this season has been less fun and more frustrating than 2018-19.
I don't remember last season being fun outside of the ten game win streak. I remember the team being dominated through entire stretches of periods and most games. I can't recall a single game where i felt they had a chance of winning it. I think the product on the ice is better this year, but the same missing pieces hold us back - a lack of quality goaltending, no second line C, no obvious first line defense. Fix any two of those issues and we might still be in a fight for the playoffs and as far as i am concerned, only one person is in charge of addressing those deficiencies...

Reactions: punkr0x

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I agree with this.

There's a reason someone like Scott Wilson gets inserted into the lineup and immediately changes the complexion of our actions in the offensive-zone, he goes to the crease, drives the lane, and skates through the house creating issues for the defense. Problem is he's not talented enough to do it for more than short spurts or impact any other parts of the game.

1. You have players that came from man to man systems (Joki, Miller) really struggling in Krueger's zone. I think we can expect Joki to be fine, and develop. But Miller is a bad fit.
2. You have players that suck defensively (Montour, Risto) regardless of scheme.

And then you have McCabe, who is actually resurrecting his career defensively in the zone system he needs to be in.

And then there's the two best all around defensemen on the team.... who for some reason play the least (Dahlin, Pilut)

That statement doesn't fit the narrative around here, knock it off...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about the Dzone in general, which includes the forwards' support as well.

It's the players that are performing the actions, but the coaches should be seeing what's going on and practicing them out of these poor habits and poor communication. That's where I hold Ralph accountable, personally.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He was trying so hard to lose us the shootout last night. Vesey and Mojo over Kahun was flat out incompetence.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

You say it’s a player issue and not a coach issue and then say this... the poor judgement of his own players is totally on Ralph.

Edit: I think I missed the context on your other post, that’s my bad

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about the Dzone in general, which includes the forwards' support as well.

It's the players that are performing the actions, but the coaches should be seeing what's going on and practicing them out of these poor habits and poor communication. That's where I hold Ralph accountable, personally.

Sure.

I actually give Ralph some credit... sitting a big acquisition like Miller, because he's completely lost in the D zone... is the right thing to do.

Same with Skinner. It's not popular... but Skinner is an unreliable player. He's not responsible with the puck, he doesn't work defensively, he's a liability. Skinner, Erod, Vesey, Sheary are all bad Dzone support players. And the ice time for all of them has been affected by it

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sure.

I actually give Ralph some credit... sitting a big acquisition like Miller, because he's completely lost in the D zone... is the right thing to do.

Same with Skinner. It's not popular... but Skinner is an unreliable player. He's not responsible with the puck, he doesn't work defensively, he's a liability. Skinner, Erod, Vesey, Sheary are all bad Dzone support players. And the ice time for all of them has been affected by it
A good coach finds a way to utilize a player like Skinner. Krueger hasn't even tried.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
Sure.

And Risto? Bogo (while he was here)?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah I remember some media member saying that housley literally begged Sabres players to go to the front of the net (or something like that).

I’ve heard numerous press conferences with Krueger (and housley) where he said Sabres players need to get to the front of the net more, or “be willing to pay the price” to go to the dirty areas of the ice, etc.

It’s been an ongoing issue here. I feel like I have seen some improvements in this regard at certain points this season. It hasn’t been consistent, but I feel like it’s happening more than in years past. Still a long way to go though.

I think that’s part of the reason they acquired Simmonds (and they stated as much).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A good coach finds a way to utilize a player like Skinner. Krueger hasn't even tried.

I don't think that's fair...

Skinner needs to be protected with defensive forwards and guys who will do the dirty board work... thus he's had guys like Sobotka and Frolik on his line... as ugly as that is, it was the right move. And while that type of line isn't going to win any xG models... they'll likely win where it matters (actual scoring).

The problem for Skinner is our center depth isn't capable of supporting his game. Mojo moves the puck with his skating, Skinner needs a center who is always looking to get the puck up ice and allowing Skinner to drive the transition.

Krueger's biggest fault with regards to Skinner, is not using Larsson as his center. But you have to cut Krueger some slack there, because Larsson is centering the only other competent line.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Ray tolerated Housley when he was coach, but he really can't stand him.
RAZOR’S GREATEST HITS ROB RAY WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR STANDING UP FOR HIS TEAMMATES ON THE ICE, AND FOR HIS COMMUNITY OFF THE PLAYING SURFACE – The Buffalo News
Phil Housley: They never actually fought, but even when they played together, Ray despised him.
"I detest Phil Housley. I still hate him. I fight Tie (Domi), but it's not as if I hate him. I played with Phil Housley and he treated me like (crap) while he was here. He's someone, to this day, I still hate. He showed you no respect and pretended that he was "the man' and never gave you a chance as a young guy to fit in. I have a problem with that guy."

No doubt, Ray has been public in his criticism of Housley in the past. Another name that comes to mind is Christian Ruuttu. Rayzor hates that guy too, or at least always did.

But if you're implying Rayzor made the story up or was embellishing b/c he hates Housley, I disagree. Don't think he would do that.

He's mentioned on several occasions with S&B that he has gone out of his way to patch up bad relations around the league (I think mostly with guys he fought on opposing teams who he actually disliked) but his comment didn't come from a negative place.

It was more that things are a bit better this year in terms of D zone structure.

It would be great if Rayzor would relay this info. to us in real time, and not a year and a HC hiring later! Would make things more interesting.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

Which relates to what is ultimately a GM issue. These guys didn't grow on trees downtown around the arena. Botterill has handpicked them all except what? 4 maybe?

Botterill apparently has no use, whatsoever, for tough, physical, aggressive, competitive players. Our lineup is extremely soft. If it was greatly more talented, it might not matter, but with this level of compete and nasty and this level of skill, we should be like a bottom 5 team.

And guess where we're going to finish this year!?

It all makes sense.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't think that's fair...

Skinner needs to be protected with defensive forwards and guys who will do the dirty board work... thus he's had guys like Sobotka and Frolik on his line... as ugly as that is, it was the right move. And while that type of line isn't going to win any xG models... they'll likely win where it matters (actual scoring).

The problem for Skinner is our center depth isn't capable of supporting his game. Mojo moves the puck with his skating, Skinner needs a center who is always looking to get the puck up ice and allowing Skinner to drive the transition.

Krueger's biggest fault with regards to Skinner, is not using Larsson as his center. But you have to cut Krueger some slack there, because Larsson is centering the only other competent line.
I don't see the issue with Skinner playing with Larsson. They've had fantastic results whenever they play together and it would only make our other competent line better (it would probably become THE competent line tbh)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Watching old videos of sabres 05-07 games and its funny how the commentary keeps emphasizing their motion on the PP, and so many of their goals coming from guys getting to net and cashing in on 2nd chance opportunities. Edit: and defense up in the play

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
LeBrun: Why NHL coaches are eager to give back and share...

Krueger, who is back home in Switzerland and self-isolating with family, looks forward to getting through the worst of this and using sports as a way to lift people.

“For me, I see a huge responsibility, we’re trying to stay quiet right now and not be too vocal, but I think our voices are going to be heard and be very important once we get through this initial phase of paralysis in the world,” said Krueger. “When we start activating again, everybody who’s got leadership responsibilities in sport need to help cure the people from what they’re going through, this adversity. Which is so shocking for us all.

“The world will need coaches who can help people,” he added. “The people from sports have experience with adversity in ways that are not comparable to this but at least give us the tools to help people through adversity, and I think we need to activate those.”

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The top line went goal-less for like 7+ games and he didn’t break it up.

that’s what I’m going to remember most about this year. The guy is insanely stubborn.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Ralph is now back in Switzerland, living with his family.

I think he realizes there ain't gonna be more hockey played this season, especially for non-playoff teams such as the Sabres.

What a crappy ending to a crappy year of hockey....again.

Just another day in Hockey Heaven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad