Krueger.....is he actually that good of a coach?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Which NHL coach(es) do you think Krueger is most similar to?

I don't think he's a new age coach at all. I see him as a cross between Roger Nielson and Jacques Martin. He relates to the players like Nielson and makes them feel like they're part of the process but once they put in their system he turns into Jacques Martin. Either play within the system the way we agreed on or you don't play. I think a lot last season was spent whipping the housley out of them.
Watching the Kreuger Sabres was like watching a team in the English Premier League try and compete with the crude and outdated tactics of the 70's and 80's of just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward and hoping to score goals by accident. How do you have a team that does almost nothing but fire shots from the point with nobody in front of the net? I mean you aren't beating most ECHL goalies with that strategy.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Ted Nolan is easily the most similar to me. He’s more of a coach to get acclimated to players at personable level which drives the motivation for players to play for him. Maybe Torts could be similar (without the Media scrums).

Krueger doesn't have the passion or intensity that Nolan or Torts have.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Krueger doesn't have the passion or intensity that Nolan or Torts have.

Not the same type for sure, but he's capable of getting on a personal level with players that helps with guys being motivated to play for the guy which is their biggest similarity in coaching style. We're not in the room, but everything sounds like he has a different style of intensity and passion, that doesn't take throwing things or yelling or screaming to get across, but that players connect with just as much.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
I'm pretty torn on this guy. I like him, but man I dont like what he did with the pp lines (Skinner hello?). And just the line usage and combos in general were no bueno. The season is a blur right now, but I did like his usage of eichel. I have nothing to back this up, but it feels like eichel got more ice time under him. Freddy deserves more time.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm pretty torn on this guy. I like him, but man I dont like what he did with the pp lines (Skinner hello?). And just the line usage and combos in general were no bueno. The season is a blur right now, but I did like his usage of eichel. I have nothing to back this up, but it feels like eichel got more ice time under him. Freddy deserves more time.

He received an increase of one shift per game under Ralph, and was given more OT, more even strength time. Overall he was about 2 minutes per game more this year. His PP Was a few seconds more, and his PK time was less.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I'm not sold on Krueger, nor am i against the guy but he seems to hold to the philosophy Gronborg preaches against:
“Unfortunately, a lot of times, ambitious coaches put too much structure. You’re going to suffocate your players and take away creativity and decision making."
@zsclions Head Coach Rikard Grönborg on helping lead a new way of thinking in Sweden.

Rikard Gronborg on hybrid coaching and the rise of Swedish hockey (VIDEO)

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not sold on Krueger, nor am i against the guy but he seems to hold to the philosophy Gronborg preaches against:
“Unfortunately, a lot of times, ambitious coaches put too much structure. You’re going to suffocate your players and take away creativity and decision making."
@zsclions Head Coach Rikard Grönborg on helping lead a new way of thinking in Sweden.

Rikard Gronborg on hybrid coaching and the rise of Swedish hockey (VIDEO)

I hope he has his own notebook....

Seriously though, I doubt the Sabres go with another outside of the box hire next time. Adams will likely go with someone he either played for (Lavi) or played with.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I hope he has his own notebook....

Seriously though, I doubt the Sabres go with another outside of the box hire next time. Adams will likely go with someone he either played for (Lavi) or played with.

Yeah, that's not the point.

Jake Bielecki

Jul 5, 2020
I thought Krueger was terrific when Taylor was his assistant. Of course they just fired Taylor, which seems right I suppose. Smh

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I thought Krueger was terrific when Taylor was his assistant. Of course they just fired Taylor, which seems right I suppose. Smh

They were 2-10 in Taylor's last month with the Sabres before Granato came back, beating Detroit and Ottawa

Jake Bielecki

Jul 5, 2020
Ok and what made krueger so good with Taylor
Just remember thinking he had a good feel of the game.

I still can't figure out why he was fired. This organization has made knee jerk moves from the inception of it's new ownership. The impatience is palpably obvious.

If they would have just made their draft picks, similar to what Ottawa is doing. Watch, Ottawa will shoot off like a rocket in the near future, leaving us in their vapor trail. So frustrating.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
He is a great motivational speaker, in small amounts, but not an NHL coach. He fooled GMJB hopefully he doesn't Fool GMKA.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
With Lindy Ruff back in the news, the more I think about it the more he reminds me of Krueger.

What reminds you of him? The stubborness or something else. At least Lindy had passion in the first few years at the helm or when one of his pet favorites got cheap shotted. If the Pegulas fired Botts just like that I really think they may have considered firing Kruger to and bring in an established coach. Fortunately for RK our franchise player really likes him.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What reminds you of him? The stubborness or something else. At least Lindy had passion in the first few years at the helm or when one of his pet favorites got cheap shotted. If the Pegulas fired Botts just like that I really think they may have considered firing Kruger to and bring in an established coach. Fortunately for RK our franchise player really likes him.
The door on Krueger's and Ruff's doghouse only swings in.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I just dont know. He talks a lot and makes words sound good. Coaching? I dont know. I dont think he is good enough where he needs to survive a change in the front office and be given a spot on the 'flat management' team. Change Botterill? Great. Look for a new GM and give him a vacant coaching position to fill.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres talk Krueger’s impact through first year | News 4 Buffalo
This article is a couple months old.

Rasmus Ristolainen - “I feel like Ralph really helped me out a lot, and the whole coaching staff. I feel he’s probably one of the best coaches I’ve had, and I like the system he brought. I feel like a big reason I took some steps forward, in our system we played more as a unit, forwards helped defensemen more, and the other way around too.”

Jack Eichel - “It’s been a pleasure working with Ralph. He does so much for our group every day. There are tough times, and he does an amazing job of bringing us back in, narrowing our focus, and getting us back to where we need to be mentally.”

Sam Reinhart - “Even from Zoom calls with him, he’s just got that knack to motivate, especially when times are tough. I would be shocked if anyone has said a bad word about him, because there’s nothing bad to say about him. Just the respect he garners from each individual is something to behold. He’s been a leader in our dressing room, and I’m really excited to see how he’s going to be able to keep us all together this summer and really motivate us deep into the fall.”

Kyle Okposo - “It would be a tough thing not to get motivated when he’s speaking. His messages are extremely clear and concise, and there’s not a lot of wiggle room with what he said and the message that he tried to deliver.”

Member 308457

Sabres talk Krueger’s impact through first year | News 4 Buffalo
This article is a couple months old.

Rasmus Ristolainen - “I feel like Ralph really helped me out a lot, and the whole coaching staff. I feel he’s probably one of the best coaches I’ve had, and I like the system he brought. I feel like a big reason I took some steps forward, in our system we played more as a unit, forwards helped defensemen more, and the other way around too.”

Jack Eichel - “It’s been a pleasure working with Ralph. He does so much for our group every day. There are tough times, and he does an amazing job of bringing us back in, narrowing our focus, and getting us back to where we need to be mentally.”

Sam Reinhart - “Even from Zoom calls with him, he’s just got that knack to motivate, especially when times are tough. I would be shocked if anyone has said a bad word about him, because there’s nothing bad to say about him. Just the respect he garners from each individual is something to behold. He’s been a leader in our dressing room, and I’m really excited to see how he’s going to be able to keep us all together this summer and really motivate us deep into the fall.”

Kyle Okposo - “It would be a tough thing not to get motivated when he’s speaking. His messages are extremely clear and concise, and there’s not a lot of wiggle room with what he said and the message that he tried to deliver.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad