"KRONWALLED!" --- Niklas Kronwall with one of the Biggest Hits of the Year!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Great hit, respect... When kronwall sees a guy looking at the puck he never doubts to use the chance and destroy opponent. Good old hockey, and no headshot here it looks like. Im sure the guy is allright, ofcourse after being hit like that you will be collecting your equipment.. been there, done that :P

I will love to follow Komarov in toronto next year. I love the big hitters.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He's just perfected that hit. When the player makes small looks up ice, he looks like he's in a safe defensive position. Eyes go to puck, 2 or 3 strides and boom.

Totally fine with these hits as long as he's not jumping into it, which he tends to do sometimes.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
And by that I am sure he meant, "Feel free to jump me from behind when you leave the box."

ok, but there is also second part: Karlsson knew he was coming out of the box, why was he then trying to blank him?

aLus

Jun 27, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
how can you not see him coming? stupid player.

He looked up 3 times before taking the puck, all of those times Kronwall was skating the other way, but after the last look Kronwall instantly turned around and there was just not much he did wrong there except scouting Kronwall more to know he does that so good.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
"Shake it off, kid. It happens to the best of 'em. Next time pull your head out of your ass."

reaper

May 1, 2005
Hemsky thinks it is clean. I will take an elite players opinion over anyone here on the board. This is from a swedish article. I google translated it and then edited some translations so that it is more correct.

"Hemsky on Kronwall: "He comes at you ass first"

The Czech republic leading goal scorer in the World Championship, Edmonton's Ales Hemsky, saw when Latvia's Kaspars Saulietis became "Kronwalled" in the game against Tre Kronor.
Hemsky remember with a slight shudder how he himself went to the same sort of plug in the NHL in February.
- He comes with his ass first and it's always a clean tackle, because he does not go with the elbow or shoulder first, said Hemsky.
A large crowd in front of televisions and the thousands of spectators at the Globe saw what the Tre Kronor masterpiece tackler Niklas Kronwall was about to do.
But Latvian Kapsars Saulietis could never perceive the Detroit star's intention. Then bang, and the match was over for Saulietis.
- Haha, yes I actually saw it. He tackled me in the same way ... says the Czech star Ales Hemsky Edmonton before the World Cup quarterfinal against the Tre Kronor.
"Comes with the ass"
For Hemsky, it was a reminder of the meeting with Detroit in February. You have to watch out when Niklas Kronwall is on the ice.
- He is one of the best hitters in the world probably. His timing is perfect. You do not think that he will come, but then he changes direction. He comes with the ass and it's always a clean tackle, because he does not go with the elbow or shoulder first, said Hemsky.
- He does not break any rules because he uses the ass ...
Ales Hemsky can not help but smile a little. Only five feet behind him in a play hall Niklas Kronwall is playing with a ball before the Tre Kronor training.
"Remembers the hit"
Hemsky talks further about becoming "Kronwalled".
- I remember the hit. You keep looking, but he is not coming and then when he changes direction, he will do it so quickly. Like I said, he is one of the best hitters.
Ales Hemsky was able to finish the game against Detroit in February.
- I am a warrior ...
Do not you get a bit angry after that kind of hit?
- Well you get a little angry. If someone hits you like that, and it is clean, so you have to give him cred as well.You have the responsibility on the ice and have to look out.
Ales Hemsky looked at said Latvia match and Saulietis when he stumbled out.
- I feel sorry for the guy.
Prior to the meeting with Tre Kronor Ales Hemsky has five goals in the World Championship. Best of the Czech Republic. He thinks the Czech Republic has become better as the World Championship has gone on. And he has respect for Tre Kronor.
- They have proven a good team and many players from the NHL.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/hemsky-om-kronwall-kommer-med-roven/

Very smart guy I must say which does not blame anyone else for not having enough attention.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I had a friends who's dog that would attack anyone that came into it's yard but wouldn't attack anyone leaving. If you walked in backwards it'd just stare at you suspiciously.

I have to wonder if Kronwall was skating forwards while taking multiple strides and jumping into these hits whether the refs would just stare at him suspiciously like they do when he's skating in backwards.

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
Hemsky thinks it is clean. I will take an elite players opinion over anyone here on the board. This is from a swedish article. I google translated it and then edited some translations so that it is more correct.

"Hemsky on Kronwall: "He comes at you ass first"

The Czech republic leading goal scorer in the World Championship, Edmonton's Ales Hemsky, saw when Latvia's Kaspars Saulietis became "Kronwalled" in the game against Tre Kronor.
Hemsky remember with a slight shudder how he himself went to the same sort of plug in the NHL in February.
- He comes with his ass first and it's always a clean tackle, because he does not go with the elbow or shoulder first, said Hemsky.
A large crowd in front of televisions and the thousands of spectators at the Globe saw what the Tre Kronor masterpiece tackler Niklas Kronwall was about to do.
But Latvian Kapsars Saulietis could never perceive the Detroit star's intention. Then bang, and the match was over for Saulietis.
- Haha, yes I actually saw it. He tackled me in the same way ... says the Czech star Ales Hemsky Edmonton before the World Cup quarterfinal against the Tre Kronor.
"Comes with the ass"
For Hemsky, it was a reminder of the meeting with Detroit in February. You have to watch out when Niklas Kronwall is on the ice.
- He is one of the best hitters in the world probably. His timing is perfect. You do not think that he will come, but then he changes direction. He comes with the ass and it's always a clean tackle, because he does not go with the elbow or shoulder first, said Hemsky.
- He does not break any rules because he uses the ass ...
Ales Hemsky can not help but smile a little. Only five feet behind him in a play hall Niklas Kronwall is playing with a ball before the Tre Kronor training.
"Remembers the hit"
Hemsky talks further about becoming "Kronwalled".
- I remember the hit. You keep looking, but he is not coming and then when he changes direction, he will do it so quickly. Like I said, he is one of the best hitters.
Ales Hemsky was able to finish the game against Detroit in February.
- I am a warrior ...
Do not you get a bit angry after that kind of hit?
- Well you get a little angry. If someone hits you like that, and it is clean, so you have to give him cred as well.You have the responsibility on the ice and have to look out.
Ales Hemsky looked at said Latvia match and Saulietis when he stumbled out.
- I feel sorry for the guy.
Prior to the meeting with Tre Kronor Ales Hemsky has five goals in the World Championship. Best of the Czech Republic. He thinks the Czech Republic has become better as the World Championship has gone on. And he has respect for Tre Kronor.
- They have proven a good team and many players from the NHL.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/hemsky-om-kronwall-kommer-med-roven/

Very smart guy I must say which does not blame anyone else for not having enough attention.

Also, Kronwall on Voracek two months ago was the exact same hit as this one. And here is what Voracek had to say about it:

"“The hit was clean,†said the Flyers’ winger, who remains questionable for Thursday’s game against Florida under a concussion watch. “I had my head down,†he said. “I’ve got to be aware that Kronwall is standing there at the blue line. It was the end of my shift and I look up and he’s standing at the blue line and I’m focusing on the puck and he’s very good at it. I was kind of naïve to think he was going to back up, obviously. It was a tough hit to take, but it was a clean hit and from my side, it was my bad. Those hits should stay in the game.â€
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Voracek-faults-himself-for-clean-Kronwal?blockID=665140

To me, this was a beautiful and perfect hit. Love me some Kronwall. :handclap:

MissBrightside

Mar 20, 2006
See the first clip before the break? That's Karlsson saying he's ready to fight whenever.

According to Karlsson he was pissed off because Jass had targeted his head. He had no intention of ever fighting him. Even though he probably wanted to.

Fighting isn't his job and MÃ¥rts would have crucified him.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Hey, Swedes, you want to see a real master of body checks? Watch this. No pain, pure and clean physical hockey.

rrasco

Mar 13, 2009
Admittedly, Kronwall leaves his feet like 80% of the time, but not really for this hit.

He has done a great job of improving his hits. He's even said himself that in the past he would leave his feet and he has worked hard to keep his feet planted and to make a legal hit. If you have watched the progression of his hits, you would notice it as well. I have.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Look, of course I am biased. I kind of get your point. I remember being half-upset for Big E almost killing a Japanese player in the 98's Olympics during the second period when Canada was up like 6-0.

Eric Lindros has never played against Japan. And Canada never scored more than 4 goals in a game at the 1998 Olympics

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
His feet leaves the ice as a consequence of the hit, not him jumping into the hit. Geez go watch basketball or something.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Admittedly, Kronwall leaves his feet like 80% of the time, but not really for this hit.

Admittedly, you are very wrong in this post. Better luck next time! :)

Kronwalls hits usually looks exactly like this. His feet lifts up after the hit, probably becuase he lean down before the hit and the rises.

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Also he has paid before by getting repeatedly punched in the head and then he cowardly gets on all fours. It is so weird when it happens. He lays a huge hit and you are like "wow, this guy is tough", then someone fights him and he gets punched in the face a bunch of times but doesn't defend himself. Then you're like "oh, no he isn't".

Pretty much sums it up. Fantastic body checker and a great player but not a tough one by any stretch of the imagination.

Crazyhorse II

May 12, 2012
Wow, great comments from Hemsky and Voracek. Two great players, humble and competitive, great representatives of the Czech Republic.

I hope Kronwall keeps playing better in his own zone and saves the big hit for the semifinals - if we make it there.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I disagree, and I hate to use this argument, but I am sure 99% of anyone who ever have played the game would. And 99% of the players hit in those situations blame themselvs after it. Or in the situation where the forward just receives a pass, you blame the player passing the puck to a player in a situation like that.

And I think its ridiculos to talk about how its a Latvian player. Come on, you learn this when you are 10 y/o.

Its a part of the game for D's to hit forwards the way Kronwall hit. You are entitled to your opinion, but I personally think that most hits from players like Rob Blake, Scott Stevens and Nik Kronwall should be a part of the game.

Kronwall is just too good at it for some fans to handle.

To use the "U shud have played tha game", you have to have actually played it.

A defenseman abandoning his position in the deep neutral zone and charging full speed into a hit on the half-wall in the offensive zone while the rest of his team is retreating is incredibly uncommon.

Kronwall lands these hits because players do NOT expect to be hit in this situation. They do not expect to be hit in this situation because there's a lot of X and O risk and very little benefit to this play (unless the objective is to injure the player on purpose). If Kronwall lands this, there's a whistle. If he misses, the best case scenario is he's caught 50 feet from where he's supposed to be.

If you played the game you should already know all that.

And please don't compare Norris winners who were happy to answer the bell like Rob Blake or Scott Stevens to a gutless chicken and awful defensive player like Kronwall.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
And please don't compare Norris winners who were happy to answer the bell like Rob Blake or Scott Stevens to a gutless chicken and awful defensive player like Kronwall.

So Kronwalls hits shouldn't be part of the game because he won't fight after crushing someone?

Its not like he anyone comparing Kronwall's career or defensive play to Blake or Stevens, just his hits.

I love that Kronwall doesn't fight after steamrolling players, it often leads to Wings powerplays, thanks to opposing players losing their cool. My favorite part about it though is the reaction it gets from fight fans who feel he HAS to fight after he does it.

I hope he finishes his career with no fights and hundreds of hits just like this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad