"KRONWALLED!" --- Niklas Kronwall with one of the Biggest Hits of the Year!

RomersWorld*

Not saying it was a dirty hit but one day someone is gonna make this guy pay.

Mikko Koivu had a pretty sweet hit on him that knocked him on his ace and the Wings lost the game because of the hit.

Also he has paid before by getting repeatedly punched in the head and then he cowardly gets on all fours. It is so weird when it happens. He lays a huge hit and you are like "wow, this guy is tough", then someone fights him and he gets punched in the face a bunch of times but doesn't defend himself. Then you're like "oh, no he isn't".

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This is absolutely not true. Kronwall would prefer to be scored on than receive a check and plays the game with those priorities in mind. On the rare occasion he doesn't have time to give the puck to the opponent so he can get out of the way, he lays on the ice like he's dead.

There's also the bit about hiding between referee's legs when confronted eye to eye, which is his patented move.

I don't really understand why anyone would decide to injure someone on a non-rival club, in a largely decided game against a team that can't beat you and has no future in the tournament. It's completely pointless.

Remember that Cherry rant where he didn't like Torres running a rookie in a meaningless game? This is that, but much worse.

If you are going to play this game at any level above pee-wee than expect it to happen.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
idc what anyone says, those checks he does should not be allowed.

by league rules right now, yes it is a clean hit.

but if your a fan who respects player safety like me, then you will relize that this particular check is very dangerous. EVERY time he lays this check, the player getting hit is leaning foward with his head/neck the main point of contact. Ya you can argue to keep your head up, but regardless, kronwall himself! knows that everytime he does this the other player is in a very valnurable position, and can be seriously injured. thats just not cool. one of these times hes gonna seriously injure somone with some kind of major neck/spinal damage and ppl are then gonna outlaw this, but unfortunatly someone must suffer a possible career ending injury for it to happen, which is sad.

edit: and just for the record, i love big hits, it makes the game entertaining. I wouldn't mind these hits if he wasn't skating towards him in big strides, and lunging his hip/back into the players heads, KNOWING he can possibly injure someone and just doesnt care. Im all for the same kind of hit, but if the dman stands up to keep the puck in or w.e, but not krownwalls version.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not a Detroit fan or a fan of Kronwall, but the hits are awesome. That's what hockey is about. Keep your freaking head up coming out of the zone and Kronwall stops making hits like that because 2 on 1's would be ubiquitous

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
There is a time and a place for these predatory hits, and this wasnt one of them. Save your big hits for the final stages Kronwall!

Of course though, never bad I guess to have a bit of a rep going into the QF, maybe the Czechs will hesitate when starting a rush from there.

Last edited:

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Ofc the finns think it was dirty. The league in Finland is close to figure skating in term of physical play.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Funny thing, a defenceman in my league is well known for throwing the same sort of hit. One of our guys last year did the exact same thing as the Latvian player here but knew the defenceman would be coming, so he crosschecked him as hard as he could in the back.

Didn't see him try to throw another hit like that against us the rest of the year.

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
The guy he flattened plays in the Belorussian league, he's probably not as familiar with Kronwall's antics as other guys, besides it's a meaningless game in the preliminary round so he probably didn't figure that someone would try to concuss him like that

Poor Latvians. They would never do anything to hurt a player in a "meaningless" game :sarcasm:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Poor Latvians. They would never do anything to hurt a player in a "meaningless" game :sarcasm:

I'm a big Karlsson fan, but I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove. Karlsson taunted the guy and the guy tried to fight him. That's sort of the point of taunting someone.

Don't see what relevance this has to an NHL player trying to end the career of an amateur in a meaningless, decided, glorified exhibition game for no reason whatsoever.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He might hide, but he's not out there throwing cheapshots.

Of course he is. Just because this hit's non-suspendable according to NHL rules doesn't mean it's not cheap.

Marc Savard isn't sitting in a dark room because Matt Cooke did something illegal to him. He's sitting in a dark room because Cooke caught him with a cheapshot, though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't really understand why anyone would decide to injure someone on a non-rival club, in a largely decided game against a team that can't beat you and has no future in the tournament. It's completely pointless.

Remember that Cherry rant where he didn't like Torres running a rookie in a meaningless game? This is that, but much worse.

Ah, come on.

This is a hockey hit all the way. The main impact hits the Latvian player in the stomach.

Look, of course I am biased. I kind of get your point. I remember being half-upset for Big E almost killing a Japanese player in the 98's Olympics during the second period when Canada was up like 6-0.

With all due respect, but if you had played the game you would have known the diffrence between Torres hit and Kronwalls hit.

-There is a few areas on the ice where a player must keep his head up if he have the puck.

-A defensemen must take the body if he stands up a player, if not, that player will get a breakaway/odd man rush.

If anything, I think Kronwall actually saves players health.

He reminds people to keep their heads up. And his hits are always clean and he never headhunts, so the damage he does is never that severe.

I know many finns hate him because he hit Teemu S. But...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Funny thing, a defenceman in my league is well known for throwing the same sort of hit. One of our guys last year did the exact same thing as the Latvian player here but knew the defenceman would be coming, so he crosschecked him as hard as he could in the back.

Didn't see him try to throw another hit like that against us the rest of the year.

This doesn't apply to beerleague, but all you have to do is drop your upper-body forward to waist height. See what Kronwall thinks about the way he plays when he's put himself in a neck-brace instead of the other guy. Guarantee he'll never do it again if he skates another shift.

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
I'm a big Karlsson fan, but I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove. Karlsson taunted the guy and the guy tried to fight him. That's sort of the point of taunting someone.

Don't see what relevance this has to an NHL player trying to end the career of an amateur in a meaningless, decided, glorified exhibition game for no reason whatsoever.

Tried to fight him? If you want to fight someone you make sure both are ready, drop your gloves and go. That guy jumped Karlsson, which is why he got a 5+20 and Karlsson could skate back to his bench.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ah, come on.

This is a hockey hit all the way. The main impact hits the Latvian player in the stomach.

Look, of course I am biased. I kind of get your point. I remember being half-upset for Big E almost killing a Japanese player in the 98's Olympics during the second period when Canada was up like 6-0.

With all due respect, but if you had played the game you would have known the diffrence between Torres hit and Kronwalls hit.

-There is a few areas on the ice where a player must keep his head up if he have the puck.

-A defensemen must take the body if he stands up a player, if not, that player will get a breakaway/odd man rush.

If anything, I think Kronwall actually saves players health.

He reminds people to keep their heads up. And his hits are always clean and he never headhunts, so the damage he does is never that severe.

What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

But that's a completely separate issue.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Tried to fight him? If you want to fight someone you make sure both are ready, drop your gloves and go. That guy jumped Karlsson, which is why he got a 5+20 and Karlsson could skate back to his bench.

See the first clip before the break? That's Karlsson saying he's ready to fight whenever.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.

Might not wants don cherry and human decency in the same sentence when you round up your argument:rolleyes: and the only reason he does these hits is to get under opposing teams skin and make them take dumb penalties, not prove he's a "tough guy"
Also doing this even when it doesn't matter at this level is only good as he gets himself in the right mindset for quarters.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This doesn't apply to beerleague, but all you have to do is drop your upper-body forward to waist height. See what Kronwall thinks about the way he plays when he's put himself in a neck-brace instead of the other guy. Guarantee he'll never do it again if he skates another shift.

Yes lets see what Kronwall does. He will continue to hit these legal wonderful hits all of his career and exactly that is why he is a millionaire.

Exique*

I don't care if it's clean, it's just bad form in a game like that. Latvia isn't going to the QF, Sweden is. Just play it out with the intensity the scenario warrants. Do you want to put a guy in hospital in a game like that?

No need for punishment, I just think it's not what a good guy would do in a situation like that.

I agree! It was a totally unnecessary hit under those circumstances.

Bottom line: a player could've been injured in a pretty much meaningless game just because someone wanted to pull off a flashy hit.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

this is true, but Karlsson showed him they are gonna fight later when they were both going to the penalty box, that was clear. Then he walks out of the box and acts like nothing happened and doesn't care about the other guy? Strange.

Btw. Karlsson shoud get some penalty too, because he was fighting back.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

Personally I didn't mind the hit, but you opinion is fair.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Also, regarding the first bolded part, I mean come on. Ok let's put it like this, if a D steps up a player at this level and don't take the body but just tries to pokecheck the puck -- his coach will be pissed at him. It is modus operandus for a D to take the body. I cannot guarantee that there will be a break away lol. You got me there.

I disagree, and I hate to use this argument, but I am sure 99% of anyone who ever have played the game would. And 99% of the players hit in those situations blame themselvs after it. Or in the situation where the forward just receives a pass, you blame the player passing the puck to a player in a situation like that.

And I think its ridiculos to talk about how its a Latvian player. Come on, you learn this when you are 10 y/o.

Its a part of the game for D's to hit forwards the way Kronwall hit. You are entitled to your opinion, but I personally think that most hits from players like Rob Blake, Scott Stevens and Nik Kronwall should be a part of the game.

Kronwall is just too good at it for some fans to handle.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
this is true, but Karlsson showed him they are gonna fight later when they were both going to the penalty box, that was clear. Then he walks out of the box and acts like nothing happened and doesn't care about the other guy? Strange.

Btw. Karlsson shoud get some penalty too, because he was fighting back.

Yeah, but even if Karlsson is yelling like "yeah sure" to the Latvian guy in the penalty box, why should he fight him lol???

BTW, I have no problem with what the Latvian player did. He showed emotions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad