Kronwall dangerous boarding against Matthews

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Geeze I kinda thought this thread would be closed by now due to this being a nothing situation... But then again i guess it is a Leaf thread so its not really surprising

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Anyways back to the subject of the thread, no talent over the hill goon specifically targets one of the young stars of the league. Thats a problem. These borderline players need to be stopped to prevent further attacks on the young gems of the league. Like Matthews or the Leafs or not, stuff like this must be condemned and should be eliminated

So 4th liners/ #6D just aren't allowed to play legal physical play against stars? Righhttttt

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Next on the HF Main Boards: Matthews was checked in a hockey game and Marner had toast for breakfast.

Well there once was a thread made for those 2 singing BonJovi on the bench so i wouldnt be surprised.. Its ridiculous

...but then again Sportsnet showed that clip 3 million times for about a week straight too

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So Kronwall is a dinosaur thats bad for the game by playing physical but you wouldnt mind seeing Larkin and Kronwall hurt next game? In other words youre butt hurt Matthews got hurt so youre making crap up about it bad for the game but if it went the other way you'd be fine with it.

Youre such a hypocrite lol. For the record Toronto has way too soft of a roster for this to happen anyways

Red Wing fans are the true hypocrites here. If your player initiates borderline plays that can cause injury the standard hockey response is someone on the other team retaliates either on the offending player or one of your better players gets leveled. That's how it used to work. So instead of whining about how soft Matthews is or how soft young Leaf fans are, I would be completely fine if someone were to bring some old school reckoning on Kronwall (which happens pretty regularly based on how often other teams mess him up) or one of your skill guys gets it.

If Vladimir Konstantinov took liberties with Doug Gilmour, I'm sure Wendel Clark would have had something nasty for Steve Yzerman.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn't even notice this until after I posted, but it blew my mind! You call yourself an old school fan, and this hit gets all your feathers flustered? This hit, woudln't even crack the top 5 million hits of the old school days, it was a nothing burger if ever there was. Shoulder to shoulder puck battles are a dime a dozen, and always have been. Also hilarious that this nothing hit, draws so much ire from you, that you hope Kronwall gets messed up over it. So you want Kronwall to be out with injury, on a nothing play, where your star player didn't even get injured on, that is mind boggling!

Not that flustered. In the days of Steve Webb injuring Mats Sundin in a playoff series, Gary Roberts and Darcy Tucker went out and took not one but two Islanders out.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Red Wing fans are the true hypocrites here. If your player initiates borderline plays that can cause injury the standard hockey response is someone on the other team retaliates either on the offending player or one of your better players gets leveled. That's how it used to work. So instead of whining about how soft Matthews is or how soft young Leaf fans are, I would be completely fine if someone were to bring some old school reckoning on Kronwall (which happens pretty regularly based on how often other teams mess him up) or one of your skill guys gets it.

If Vladimir Konstantinov took liberties with Doug Gilmour, I'm sure Wendel Clark would have had something nasty for Steve Yzerman.

No wings fans arent hypocrites. You sit in the thread and cry about how a 2 minute penalty is horrible for the game and that young stars shouldnt get hit like that basically complaining about the physicality in the game. You turn that crying around into basically hoping another young star player like Larkin gets hurt/someone goes after him next game. You complain about it and say it doesnt belong in the game then turn around and wish it on another player that wasnt involved in the situation. Kronwall has messed up plenty of people in his career on a lot tougher teams and guess what has happened to him? Absolutely nothing, Toronto will do nothing just like they did at the actual time of the incident. And hes done a lot worse than this weak little shoulder to shoulder 2 minute penalty, youre literally only mad because it happened to Matthews

As for running Larkin, keep wishing but who on Toronto is even capable? Kadri maybe, but Larkin would give him a good go. After that Toronto has absolutely no one, so be ready for what happens if you open that can of worms, Detroit is one of the toughest teams in the league. Hell Larkin alone plays a tougher game then basically every player on Toronto

Reactions: Goalie guy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Its a dangerous area to be making a one handed poke at the puck. You gotta brace yourself in those areas.

....or maybe not with the way the game is going.

Kronwall is a throwback player though that comes from a different time. He was known as a monster hitter, but these guys might be going extinct, as I have trouble thinking of younger players like this.

That's probably been a normal play in his career, but the young guys aren't programmed to expect it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dynamite Time

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This happens to, say... Matt Hunwick, and no one cares.

Okposo actually got boarded, actually from behind, last week and they didn’t even give it a penalty.

This was a check from the side. As he got to the puck.

I mean Jesus. Try less hard.

Reactions: egelband

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Its a dangerous area to be making a one handed poke at the puck. You gotta brace yourself in those areas.

....or maybe not with the way the game is going.
I know. This used to be a physical sport right. Knee on knee, leaving the ice, hits to the head of course should be dealt with. This was just a body hit to a player who left himself vulnerable to it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Didn’t really look that bad to me, looked as if Matthews just lost his balance.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

So now what is it? You say how regularly "other teams mess him up" Lol by the way. Or he never gets hit? The Leafs being soft is nothing new by the way there was just another tread about it the other day. And Dougie got hit plenty in his day, but people did not cry about it. As far as Clark going after Yzerman, Probert or Kocer would have put him to sleep. But again those players knew it was hockey. Face it, it was a bad play by a kid that really was nothing, he him self even said so. And as far as you wanting "one of our skilled guys to git it", what exactly is it? Larkin was hit high and ran into the boards head first in the game vs the Av's. Guess what no thread was made about it!!!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So now what is it? You say how regularly "other teams mess him up" Lol by the way. Or he never gets hit? The Leafs being soft is nothing new by the way there was just another tread about it the other day. And Dougie got hit plenty in his day, but people did not cry about it. As far as Clark going after Yzerman, Probert or Kocer would have put him to sleep. But again those players knew it was hockey. Face it, it was a bad play by a kid that really was nothing, he him self even said so. And as far as you wanting "one of our skilled guys to git it", what exactly is it? Larkin was hit high and ran into the boards head first in the game vs the Av's. Guess what no thread was made about it!!!

I find it amusing that I'm trying to explain retaliation to a fanbase that cried over the Kris Draper/Claude Lemieux blood feud for years.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I find it amusing that I'm trying to explain retaliation to a fanbase that cried over the Kris Draper/Claude Lemieux blood feud for years.
You are now comparing someone getting boarded into a open bench door and getting their face smashed in, to a every day normal hockey check? You are calling for retaliation for a nothing play man don't you get that yet? And even the player who received said hit said it was nothing at all. If he would have been blind sided, hit from be hind, boarded, cross checked in the face any thing other that a shoulder check and not even a hard one at that I could see your point. But you don't have a point other than you don't like him getting hit well to bad that is the game bud.

And what the hell are you talking about? Lemieux got ground into center ice and every other Av's player on the ice got smashed that same game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad