Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's his attitude that worries me, not his skill set. Maybe he will grow out of it but right now I think they have a prospect that will turn out to be more trouble than he's worth.
He's 19 and I'm not really sure we have a good handle on his attitude. We are so used to the stereotypical responses from North American teens, and I'm not sure we get a good read in European players based on interviews. He's had good production overall for a teenager in the KHL.

His decision to go back to Finland to play this year isn't a huge issue or shock. Niku also played in Finland in his D+2 season. Not a big deal. Meanwhile, playing overseas shielded him from the expansion draft, which is a very good thing.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Moose are for developing future Jets. Period. The entire organization says that. Vesalainen is perhaps their top prospect. They should do whatever develops him further, but shield him from eligibility in the Seattle expansion draft.

Yeah but there is a locker room dynamic to uphold as well. And he basically left them to go make some money in the KHL and then gets to come back after they all worked their tales off to get into the playoffs? As a player that would probably piss me off, especially if I'm losing icetime to him.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah but there is a locker room dynamic to uphold as well. And he basically left them to go make some money in the KHL and then gets to come back after they all worked their tales off to get into the playoffs? As a player that would probably piss me off, especially if I'm losing icetime to him.
They know how it works and any one of them would strongly consider playing at home for way more money.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
And you think having an attitude back towards him will fix it? :laugh:

First, you can't fix others. They have to fix themselves. And it isn't about having an attitude as much as it is weighing the pros and cons of have having him on the Moose right now. Right now, I have him at a net negative. And the fact that Jokerit finally got tired of putting up with his effort (as reported by others who have watched him) and benched him seems to reinforce that POV.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I didn't even realize he's been benched. Haven't been watching today's game because quite frankly watching Jokerit is painful. Funny, he tried to choose his own path and everything went about as badly as it could've. Hindsight is always 20-20, though. There'll be a lot of "I told you so" -people, but even they couldn't realistically know what would happen.

I sounded off pretty heavily the moment he left that it is extremely likely that if he doesn't play well he could easily have his minutes shaved off, lose out on PP time and eventually be benched. Many around here did. The truth is that would have never been an issue on the Jets because he would have been given many many maaaaaannny more opportunities for top line and PP1 time here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They know how it works and any one of them would strongly consider playing at home for way more money.

These kids are 100% free to head to the KHL before their ELC and make some cash. A good chunk of them could easily cash in well before they would in the NHL but they don't. Chevy should have never given him the out clause. It should have been play with the Moose or stay in Europe.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I sounded off pretty heavily the moment he left that it is extremely likely that if he doesn't play well he could easily have his minutes shaved off, lose out on PP time and eventually be benched. Many around here did. The truth is that would have never been an issue on the Jets because he would have been given many many maaaaaannny more opportunities for top line and PP1 time here.
I know. Many did. Still, no one can actually predict the future.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He's 19 and I'm not really sure we have a good handle on his attitude. We are so used to the stereotypical responses from North American teens, and I'm not sure we get a good read in European players based on interviews. He's had good production overall for a teenager in the KHL.

His decision to go back to Finland to play this year isn't a huge issue or shock. Niku also played in Finland in his D+2 season. Not a big deal. Meanwhile, playing overseas shielded him from the expansion draft, which is a very good thing.

Big difference is Niku didn't come here with an expectation of being on the Jets roster, then turn tail and head home when it became apparent that wasn't going to happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
These kids are 100% free to head to the KHL before their ELC and make some cash. A good chunk of them could easily cash in well before they would in the NHL but they don't. Chevy should have never given him the out clause. It should have been play with the Moose or stay in Europe.
Then they would to protect him in the expansion draft. This worked out way better. Finland is home for him. He's 19. I think there's too much being made of this.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Big difference is Niku didn't come here with an expectation of being on the Jets roster, then turn tail and head home when it became apparent that wasn't going to happen.

I blame Chevy for giving him the chance to do it. I think from now on the Jets aren't likely to ever give out any more out clauses in ELCs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then they would to protect him in the expansion draft. This worked out way better. Finland is home for him. He's 19. I think there's too much being made of this.

They wouldn't have to if he just stayed with the Moose all season. He wasn't ready for the NHL. He was playing well on the Moose. Then he uses the fact he had to go home and play in Finland as an excuse to bail on the WJC. Whoever is managing this kid is an idiot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
KV sat with the Jets and both sides agreed that he'd get a look with the Jets and if he didn't make it he'd have the option to go home to Finland to play. I think your putting an unnecessarily negative spin on it. I don't think it's a big deal.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He literally couldn't. It wasn't negotiated into his ELC, it was in Vesalainen's.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I know. Many did. Still, no one can actually predict the future.

Chevy shouldn't have given him the out clause in the first place. If the kid wanted to stay in Europe then stay in Europe and don't sign your ELC. If you want to join the Jets organization, which includes playing on the Moose, then sign with us.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
KV sat with the Jets and both sides agreed that he'd get a look with the Jets and if he didn't make it he'd have the option to go home to Finland to play. I think your putting an unnecessarily negative spin on it. I don't think it's a big deal.

I think there's some lost development there. Just because he played in the KHL, which is a much different league than the NHL, doesn't mean he will be able to join the Jets next year. He may very well be spending time on the Moose anyways. It just seems like a silly decision to bail on the Moose because you want to cash in.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They wouldn't have to if he just stayed with the Moose all season. He wasn't ready for the NHL. He was playing well on the Moose. Then he uses the fact he had to go home and play in Finland as an excuse to bail on the WJC. Whoever is managing this kid is an idiot.
I think he would have become open to the XD with a qualified AHL season. Since he only played 8 games this season didn't count. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my understanding. An AHL season counts as a year of pro experience, so by 2021 he'd be in his third pro season and eligible to be drafted.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he would have become open to the XD with a qualified AHL season. Since he only played 8 games this season didn't count. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my understanding. An AHL season counts as a year of pro experience, so by 2021 he'd be in his third pro season and eligible to be drafted.

He doesn't turn 20 until June so he would be eligible for a contract slide if he played 9 or less NHL games. Which would mean he isn't eligible for the XD. The XD is basically saying you have to have 2 years of a full NHL contract to be eligible. Many guys in similar situations were exempt in the Vegas draft.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You can sense the trouble just by looking at him. He's one of those guys. I wouldn't let him anywhere near Manitoba province.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

He’s going all Sip without the sarcasm.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
You can sense the trouble just by looking at him. He's one of those guys. I wouldn't let him anywhere near Manitoba province.

He has a reputation as a bit of a stubborn mule who has his own way of doing things, but as a bonus point, he's also known to get fully dedicated to the task at hand, whatever it is that he decides upon.

He caught some flack over refusing to play in juniors tournaments, because he wanted to completely focus on playing for Jokerit in KHL. When he begins playing for Winnipeg, I expect him to carry that single-minded, zoned-in mentality over to the NHL, as well.

He's not going to be playing any Fortnite games, that's for sure. He's not that kind of a guy. Whatever effort he puts out there is going to be 100%. What remains to be seen is whether it will be enough or not.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Funny, I just got that sense in here as well. :sarcasm:

I'm suspicious of him but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt next year. I just hear a lot about him and his attitude behind the scenes and I get EK9 flashbacks. It obviously not that bad yet but there was similar things surfacing about Kane early on and then it just continued to evolve and get worse. KV doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Evanders issues but I'm still cautious with this kid.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He has a reputation as a bit of a stubborn mule who has his own way of doing things, but as a bonus point, he's also known to get fully dedicated to the task at hand, whatever it is that he decides upon.

He caught some flack over refusing to play in juniors tournaments, because he wanted to completely focus on playing for Jokerit in KHL. When he begins playing for Winnipeg, I expect him to carry that single-minded, zoned-in mentality over to the NHL, as well.

He's not going to be playing any Fortnite games, that's for sure. He's not that kind of a guy. Whatever effort he puts out there is going to be 100%. What remains to be seen is whether it will be enough or not.

Why has he been scratched and benched with Jokerit? Do you know? Is it an effort issue? Attitude issue?

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Why has he been scratched and benched with Jokerit? Do you know? Is it an effort issue? Attitude issue?

Maybe he's just not good enough right now. At the end of the day he's just a 19 year old guy, who doesn't necessarily have elite-level (Pettersson, Matthews, etc.) talent, and they're competing in the playoffs.

I think a lot of 19 year olds would be scratched in the more serious and physical games of a season. Just imagine a lot of your current favorites and how they were when they were 19 years old. Not too many were good enough to even play in NHL.

Vesalainen, right now, isn't either, and he will need some development before he is NHL ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad