Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's not just the points but how he's playing. Several Jokerit fans are "complaining" that he's not on Tolvanen's level and he has a few major issues right now. His mobility, slow and lack of explosive speed and inability to protect the puck, resulting in easy turnovers and working in tight spaces. The latter two are in my opinion areas that could have been worked better on in the AHL.

Playoff will show, is he good or bad, because right now Jokerit is playing meaningless games.

Reactions: Ippenator

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't know how we trade Roslo before we trade Ves. By all accounts Roslo at least has a good attitude and works when he's on the ice.

I wanted to deal 1st + Vesalainen + cap dump for Muzzin at 50% before the Leafs got him.

He is not a guy we need to get rid of. But he does seem like a future top six wing without an easy path to success. Combine difficult path to opportunity and high maintenance and you get, well...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
@Paul Maurice's observations seem to be reflecting in his ice time:
Averaged 12.84 ToI in his last 5 games. One of the advantages of playing with the Moose would have been a guaranteed 16-17 minutes a night no matter what to develop.

Update: Ice time has trended back up to 15-16 minute range in the last 3 games since the last reports about him in this thread, also has 2 assists in this span. Presumably playing better?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Especially considering his travel schedule this year and the KHL's travel in general.

No surprise he skipped adding an extra Vancouver trip on top of it.
I'd say he could have used the confidence boost of owning the World Juniors, but he doesn't seem to be lacking in that department :laugh:

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The KFL season for Jokerit could be over by Sunday. A flight to Winnipeg or summer training for Vesalainen, if that happens? It's still more than six months to training camp...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The KFL season for Jokerit could be over by Sunday. A flight to Winnipeg or summer training for Vesalainen, if that happens? It's still more than six months to training camp...

The ideal situation for Winnipeg is he comes back to the Moose, works on his game, grows chemistry with Apples, and watches the playoffs from the pressbox. Unless called upon.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Jokerit is going to be out of the playoffs today. I wonder if Kristian continues his season with the Moose?

I wouldn't. Sounds like he hasn't done anything over there to deserve some extra paychecks. Let him sit and ponder his future with the Jets. Personally, I would be looking to trade him this off season. I just don't see a player that brings what this team needs. A mistake was made. Accept that, move on, cut your losses.

Reactions: Tommigun

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I wouldn't. Sounds like he hasn't done anything over there to deserve some extra paychecks. Let him sit and ponder his future with the Jets. Personally, I would be looking to trade him this off season. I just don't see a player that brings what this team needs. A mistake was made. Accept that, move on, cut your losses.
So let me get this right; Not only do you want the Jets to sit their best prospect for the rest of the season, but you also want them to trade him? But instead of playing him in the AHL and hoping he continues his previous performance and rises his value & develops, you want to drive his value lower?

What a business genius.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm sorry, what?

Reactions: FinJetster

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So let me get this right; Not only do you want the Jets to sit their best prospect for the rest of the season, but you also want them to trade him? But instead of playing him in the AHL and hoping he continues his previous performance and rises his value & develops, you want to drive his value lower?

What a business genius.

I don't think we should trade him. But I'm not sure I would let him come and take a spot on the Moose's top line for the playoffs when he abandoned the team to go make some money. That team worked hard to be where they are and it might be a little unfair to just let Vesalainen walk into that room and take someone else's ice time even if it makes the team better. It could come down to locker room dynamics and as a GM I'd be asking the players how they would feel about him coming back to them team for a run before I did it. If they are okay with it, then I'd do it. If not then I'd let him stay in Finland and maybe work towards making the WC roster.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I don't think we should trade him. But I'm not sure I would let him come and take a spot on the Moose's top line for the playoffs when he abandoned the team to go make some money. That team worked hard to be where they are and it might be a little unfair to just let Vesalainen walk into that room and take someone else's ice time even if it makes the team better. It could come down to locker room dynamics and as a GM I'd be asking the players how they would feel about him coming back to them team for a run before I did it. If they are okay with it, then I'd do it. If not then I'd let him stay in Finland and maybe work towards making the WC roster.
Well, you could just throw him on the third line or something. I don't like the idea of him not playing competitive hockey for the next 6-7 months.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well, you could just throw him on the third line or something. I don't like the idea of him not playing competitive hockey for the next 6-7 months.

I'm not sure how these things would work but as the Jets GM I'd have a meeting with the Moose players and just straight ask them how they feel about Vesalainen coming back for the playoff run. If they are okay with it, it's a no brainer that you try and bring him back. If not then I'd tell Vesalainen to stay home and try and make the IIHF Worlds team for Finland. There's also the fact that he has only played 0:57 seconds of ice time in todays game so far with Jokerit. No one else's icetime is that low. So he's either been benched already or has an injury.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bizarre thinking. Very strong d+1 and d+2 seasons overall, and a big, skilled forward to replace Perreault, who won't have to be protected in the expansion draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Moose are for developing future Jets. Period. The entire organization says that. Vesalainen is perhaps their top prospect. They should do whatever develops him further, but shield him from eligibility in the Seattle expansion draft.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm not sure how these things would work but as the Jets GM I'd have a meeting with the Moose players and just straight ask them how they feel about Vesalainen coming back for the playoff run. If they are okay with it, it's a no brainer that you try and bring him back. If not then I'd tell Vesalainen to stay home and try and make the IIHF Worlds team for Finland. There's also the fact that he has only played 0:57 seconds of ice time in todays game so far with Jokerit. No one else's icetime is that low. So he's either been benched already or has an injury.
I didn't even realize he's been benched. Haven't been watching today's game because quite frankly watching Jokerit is painful. Funny, he tried to choose his own path and everything went about as badly as it could've. Hindsight is always 20-20, though. There'll be a lot of "I told you so" -people, but even they couldn't realistically know what would happen.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bizarre thinking. Very strong d+1 and d+2 seasons overall, and a big, skilled forward to replace Perreault, who won't have to be protected in the expansion draft.

It's his attitude that worries me, not his skill set. Maybe he will grow out of it but right now I think they have a prospect that will turn out to be more trouble than he's worth.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
1:27 now so I guess he's the 13th forward?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I didn't even realize he's been benched. Haven't been watching today's game because quite frankly watching Jokerit is painful. Funny, he tried to choose his own path and everything went about as badly as it could've. Hindsight is always 20-20, though. There'll be a lot of "I told you so" -people, but even they couldn't realistically know what would happen.

I would never say that. But...

640b2a2e4c2b17ee3fe750d424618a96--movie-tv-bangs.jpg

:DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad