Confirmed Signing with Link: Kris Versteeg signs PTO with EDM

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Name those centres please so we can have a good laugh
McDavid, Sedin, Monahan, Scheifele, Jenner, Toews, Kopitar, Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Getzlaf, Jenner, Johansen, MacKinnon, Duchene, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Barkov, Eichel, O'Reilly, J. Carter, Krejci, P.Bergeron, Giroux, Backstrom, Seguin, Galchenyuk, Kuznetsov. There's some that I probably could argue for too - Kesler, Backes, Matthews

Geez, its not like I was calling Hall a 2nd liner so don't be so sensitive. He's a LW that doesn't provide anything but G/A. No two-way play, leadership, or physicality. ZERO.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
But the Problem with Versteeg are not so much the Healthy or unconsistence with Points. It´s more that the System must work for him. You cant await great passes and playmaking skill, he is a Player you pass the Puck and Hope he can Score. That is his Game, so you need People who wanna play this Way.
If the Oilers do run with McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl down the middle he'll have no problem finding that

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
McDavid, Sedin, Monahan, Scheifele, Jenner, Toews, Kopitar, Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Getzlaf, Jenner, Johansen, MacKinnon, Duchene, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Barkov, Eichel, O'Reilly, J. Carter, Krejci, P.Bergeron, Giroux, Backstrom, Seguin, Galchenyuk, Kuznetsov. There's some that I probably could argue for too - Kesler, Backes, Matthews

Geez, its not like I was calling Hall a 2nd liner so don't be so sensitive. He's a LW that doesn't provide anything but G/A. No two-way play, leadership, or physicality. ZERO.

Exactly what I had listed (Except for MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Scheifele and a couple others who I agree are better).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

You'd take Galchenyuk and Jenner over Hall??

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

im glad you arent gm of my bruins...

hall has not been his best and imho its because he hates losing. i think the crap situation in edmonton sucked the heart out of hall

will he find his mojo with a fresh start? honestly i think nj will suck too... but maybe just having a new team will be enough?

i probably do rate hall one of the 50 best players in the nhl this upcoming season and that include dmen and goalies too.

as for versteeg... hes a huge upgrade over purcell... huge...

if im edmonton i throw yakupov with mcdavid for 25-30 games and if he cant make it, hes gone... send him back to russia if no nhl team will take him... but give him a chance on the top line

eberle can help hopkins... they have chemistry... facing second line checking should help them

this leaves draisailt at center... this is where versteeg experience helps

put the finn pick in ahl and only bring him up if he crushes ahl

if yakupov fails... move draisailt to wing... or even move kassian up from the 4th line... but try to leave the finn in ahl for a change and develop him

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
30 goal centres? yup.
I like Hall but until he figures out that this isn't Jr. anymore and can't do it all on his own I'll pass on him

As a Fan that want Hall trade for a few years I agree with you . No two play , The same moves all the time rushing down the wing it has grown old and that why his points total has dropped . He may do better in the east where it more speed and less physical

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be fair, Larsson doesn't "suck," but he certainly hasn't done anything at the NHL level to warrant a trade for Taylor Hall. No matter which way you slice it, that trade was on of the single most lopsided deals in NHL history. Yes, Edmonton needed a D, but not at the expense of trading one of the best wingers in the NHL.

That being said, I like the Versteeg pick up for Edmonton.

When I see something like this I wonder how long the person posting it has been a hockey fan. Miroslav Satan for Barrie Moore and Craig Millar was much worse than this trade and that was also an Oilers trade. Then you have guys like Neely, Hull and Iginla that were all traded and then blew up as star players. What did Joe Thornton return for Boston again (I honestly forgot)? Chris Pronger for Eric Brewer and a couple of failed D prospects, the list goes on and on.

im glad you arent gm of my bruins...

hall has not been his best and imho its because he hates losing. i think the crap situation in edmonton sucked the heart out of hall

will he find his mojo with a fresh start? honestly i think nj will suck too... but maybe just having a new team will be enough?

i probably do rate hall one of the 50 best players in the nhl this upcoming season and that include dmen and goalies too.

as for versteeg... hes a huge upgrade over purcell... huge...

if im edmonton i throw yakupov with mcdavid for 25-30 games and if he cant make it, hes gone... send him back to russia if no nhl team will take him... but give him a chance on the top line

eberle can help hopkins... they have chemistry... facing second line checking should help them

this leaves draisailt at center... this is where versteeg experience helps

put the finn pick in ahl and only bring him up if he crushes ahl

if yakupov fails... move draisailt to wing... or even move kassian up from the 4th line... but try to leave the finn in ahl for a change and develop him

Firstly I respect your take as a fan because you see lots of the Oilers and follow the B's. That said Hall has not been close to a top 50 player the last 2 seasons minus a 30 game stretch last season. Did the losing affect him? Probably, losing is not fun for anyone. That said even at his best there are reasons why I wouldn't consider him top 50. Not a great goalscorer, not the best PP producer, the style of game that he plays, etc. If we're taking 50 best creators of offense then I'd agree when he's on his game.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not picking on you specifically... but it is interesting to me that:
1) All of a sudden HF accepts that Hall is a top winger in the NHL
2) It has been rammed down our throats all season that the only way to get even a top pairing D in the NHL (note, not a #1, just a top pairing guy) was to part with Hall.... wingers aren't worth much, blah, blah
3) We do exactly that... trade Hall for a #2 shutdown D (by all statistical measures) who is under contract at a great cap rate, is younger than Hall, and still has (perhaps admittedly frustratingly untapped) offensive upside...

And you put the above equation together and the narrative is now that it was a horrific overpay.

I'm not thrilled with the price tag paid... but part of that is because you guys all ended up RIGHT that we would have to overpay to get a top pairing guy. Now you are all changing your story so that you can continue to harp on the Oilers. Just accept that you were RIGHT and pipe down!

Pretty much bang on.

Plus I'd add by asking what better player could Hall have returned 1 for 1? Edmonton needed someone for the right side.

Guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Carlson, Pietranglo, Ekbald, Burns, Letang, and Klingberg aren't even close to being on the market.

So lets look at the rumored guys: Caralina wasn't going to move Faulk, Montreal wanted more than Hall for Subban, Hamonic was a possible option (but even there I'd argue Larsson has more value: younger, no injury concerns, signed longer with a near equal cap hit, and basically played the same role this past season and excelled). Guys like Barrie, Spurgeon, and Shattenkirk don't even get the conversation started.

So do you go Hall+Pulju+ for Subban (and no Lucic)
Or move Hall for Larsson and maintain your winger depth with Lucic and Pulju.

I prefer the latter. Plus this still leaves you with a chance to fight(trade) another day. The team still has its first, Eberle, and RNH or Draisaitl as major trading chips, and now a much smaller hole on defence to fill (#3/4 vs. #1/2).

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
If anywhere's a good fit for Versteeg test this year, Edmonton is it. As long as you don't expect 2-way play, he's a solid middle six scorer who can slide up a line or two if needed.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
As a Fan that want Hall trade for a few years I agree with you . No two play , The same moves all the time rushing down the wing it has grown old and that why his points total has dropped . He may do better in the east where it more speed and less physical
I hope he does really well for NJ. Both teams had a need that they desperately needed to fill.

If anywhere's a good fit for Versteeg test this year, Edmonton is it. As long as you don't expect 2-way play, he's a solid middle six scorer who can slide up a line or two if needed.
Has to be better than Purcell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad