Confirmed Signing with Link: Kris Versteeg signs PTO with EDM

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I find it amazing that a guy on a PTO who pretty much nobody else wanted is likely to push a #1 OV pick off a roster...

He was a #1 pick 4 years ago. The whole #1 status is irrelevant at this point.
I'd love to see him EARN a roster spot this season.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Doubt he makes it past the PTO. Watched a lot of Versteeg throughout the last few years and trust me when I say he doesn't have much left in the gas tank. There's a reason why he's on a PTO and a PTO with Edmonton, it's because all the other teams passed on him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Doubt he makes it past the PTO. Watched a lot of Versteeg throughout the last few years and trust me when I say he doesn't have much left in the gas tank. There's a reason why he's on a PTO and a PTO with Edmonton, it's because all the other teams passed on him.

Without knowing who you cheer for, Edmonton has signed more quality UFA's than your team has recently.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

This isn't true. Versteeg had a contract offer before even leaving for Europe. He decided to sign in Europe because they we're offering good money and he and his wife decided they didn't want to live in the US anymore. He even had PTO offers from other teams but chose the Oilers because he didn't want to go back to the US and also his family is from southern Alberta.

I know this because my brother has been Mitch Versteeg's (Kris's little brother) best friend since high school. I texted him today when I heard he signed a PTO with the Oilers and that's the story I was told.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't think so. Useful and 2 way winger are not words I would use to describe Versteeg. He can score gimmes though. Our 3rd line rw is likely going to be Pulujarvi. Yak probably plays 2 RW unless we bring in a 3C as well to push Drai over to the wing. Might even get the gravy spot next to McDavid, but that would surprise me.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle/Yakupov
Pouliot - Nuge/Drai - Yak/Eberle
Maroon - Nuge/Drai - Pulujarvi
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

I think this is more to push the guys coming into camp. Versteeg probably only gets signed if he blows all expectations away or somebody gets injured. Or if Chiarelli has a trade for Yakupov in place, which would shock the heck out of me.

A PTO isn't an NHL contract. Thinking about this, I really believe its in case Kassian doesn't show up in shape and/or Pulujarvi doesn't show that he is NHL ready. If either of those things happen, we have little to put in that spot.
Kassian is in the best shape of his life and has been working out like a demon all off season. I am shocked you would not know this being auch a vocal Oiler fan

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
This isn't true. Versteeg had a contract offer before even leaving for Europe. He decided to sign in Europe because they we're offering good money and he and his wife decided they didn't want to live in the US anymore. He even had PTO offers from other teams but chose the Oilers because he didn't want to go back to the US and also his family is from southern Alberta.

I know this because my brother has been Mitch Versteeg's (Kris's little brother) best friend since high school. I texted him today when I heard he signed a PTO with the Oilers and that's the story I was told.

Are you really defending a pto contract???

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Still not bad

No not bad at all.

The Oilers forward group on paper is pretty stacked top to bottom. Problem is that's only on paper. The Oilers often go into a season with a great looking forward group only to have 1/2 the team underwhelm and the defense look like crap because not only does it never look good on paper, it also always manages to underwhelm even meager expectations.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Any thought to moving Drai to LW?

Would be more likely to move him to the right side because he has done it before but both him and Hopkins shoot left not unlikely one of them could play left wing.
( super unlikely that drai can play his offside well and would suck on his natural side as a playmaker and not a shooter )

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
Would be more likely to move him to the right side because he has done it before but both him and Hopkins shoot left not unlikely one of them could play left wing.
( super unlikely that drai can play his offside well and would suck on his natural side as a playmaker and not a shooter )

Plus with his amazing backhand passes you would have to have him on the right

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Plus with his amazing backhand passes you would have to have him on the right
his backhand passing ability is so good but I don't think he would suffer that much having to use his forehand more if you had to play him on the left side.

Never really seen Hopkins play the wing but would be interesting to see him play without the defensive responsibilities of a center

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
his backhand passing ability is so good but I don't think he would suffer that much having to use his forehand more if you had to play him on the left side.

Never really seen Hopkins play the wing but would be interesting to see him play without the defensive responsibilities of a center

I prefer keeping all our 3C's at centre, but if I had to choose I'd rather Draisaitl on wing than RNH (although Draisaitl is better at face-offs, he could still take them I suppose). Drai's better along the boards and I like RNH in the middle because he's quicker from a standstill and has better lateral mobility than Draisaitl, and he is very good with his stick in the neutral zone whether it be knocking down passes or pick pocketing guys. I don't think the centre responsibilities have been the issues offensively for RNH, I think he just needs a big body who can win board battles for him (something he's never really had and should have this year) which will allow him a better chance to cycle which is where he does is best work using his vision, and I also think he just needs to have a winger on his line who actually plays both sides of the puck so that he doesn't always have to hang back as often.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I prefer keeping all our 3C's at centre, but if I had to choose I'd rather Draisaitl on wing than RNH (although Draisaitl is better at face-offs, he could still take them I suppose). Drai's better along the boards and I like RNH in the middle because he's quicker from a standstill and has better lateral mobility than Draisaitl, and he is very good with his stick in the neutral zone whether it be knocking down passes or pick pocketing guys. I don't think the centre responsibilities have been the issues offensively for RNH, I think he just needs a big body who can win board battles for him (something he's never really had and should have this year) which will allow him a better chance to cycle which is where he does is best work using his vision, and I also think he just needs to have a winger on his line who actually plays both sides of the puck so that he doesn't always have to hang back as often.
Hopkins tends to play the safe side of the puck(which is really good) but I would kinda see what he could do offensively if he didn't hahah

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopkins tends to play the safe side of the puck(which is really good) but I would kinda see what he could do offensively if he didn't hahah

He didn't in his rookie year and his offence was great. They definitely sucked a bit of that out of him forcing him to always be the only defensively responsible player on his line. I think in the right situation you could see him open his game back up a little more.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Help me out here, is Versteeg hurt or not? reports are he failed a physical for the swiss league but the Oilers think he may be ok for their team.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Help me out here, is Versteeg hurt or not? reports are he failed a physical for the swiss league but the Oilers think he may be ok for their team.

He's healthy.

Bern had offered him a pretty sizeable contract by their standards but because of his past medical history the cost to insure that contract was too much for them.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
But the problem for Edmonton is any team that would have been interested in Yakupov will now turn their attention to Versteeg. He will be cheaper.

Versteeg is the victim of the Expansion Draft. Like many others older players. Teams are streamlining in preparation. They don't want to bring in guys they know they could lose if they aren't able to protect them.
Once that draft is over, things will begin to normalize.

Well now Edmonton signed him I guess teams can start trying to acquire Yakupov again :naughty:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nothing wrong with posting the truth after someone else goes with the old "he only signed with the Oilers cuz no one else wanted him" crap.

and then there this from Chia

“Kris has done a lot in this league,†said Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli, who talked to Team North America World Cup co-GM and Blackhawks counterpart Stan Bowman about Versteeg and got positive feedback. “He’s a talented guy and we’d like to have a look at him so he pushes some guys.

“He’s got a good chance to make it and I want competition. I thought he showed some stuff last year. If he beats somebody out, we’ll sign him.â€

Versteeg, 30, had about 10 teams who would have given him a tryout, but he chose the Oilers.

“I had quite a few options but I’ve never had a chance to play close to home (Lethbridge) and I talk to Rob quite often and he always spoke highly of the organization,†said Versteeg. “I also train with Davy (Brandon Davidson) and I know Looch (Milan Lucic, from when Versteeg played for the Kins last season).â€

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Wow that's disappointing. I honestly haven't watched him at all, but from the few times I can remember I didn't think he was that bad, I was going to ask if he can still play or not. Oh well, it's just a PTO.

Edit: good to see someone posted some factual, interesting stuff afterwards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad