Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Every time we trade picks/prospects for bottom 6 depth they always end up being useless. Boyle/Plekanec/Clifford etc.. Just use what we got in our system. Kerfoot and Engvall are fine in those roles. Use our assets to acquire a real impact player.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think the Leafs need a 3C upgrade. If there's one available at a moderate price, then sure, do it.

But any forward upgrade will have the side effect of improving the 3c position. It would load up the top-six and keep Kerfoot in the 3C slot where he's been pretty effective. His regressed defensive metrics are above-average. He's perfectly suited to that job. You also have the option of Jumbo Joe at 3c too.

Then you can keep Engvall as a 4C with lower-leverage minutes. I think that should work.

The team is going to live and die by the top guns. That's how the team is designed. They just need the bottom-six to tread water (and they've mostly been doing better than that).

Reactions: The Cobra

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
News Flash.

In a Flat Cap world, with a team built for a rapidly rising Cap world, you are never going to have a perfect lineup.

Sure, I'd love an upgrade at 3C. I'd love an upgrade at Goalie. I'd love an upgrade on D, and more depth in case of injuries. I'd love a more physical bottom six winger, who was good defensively, and not a black hole offensively. I'd love a top six LW, who scores at PPG and can play heavy too.

Reactions: Lumberg and banks

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
News Flash.

In a Flat Cap world, with a team built for a rapidly rising Cap world, you are never going to have a perfect lineup.

Sure, I'd love an upgrade at 3C. I'd love an upgrade at Goalie. I'd love an upgrade on D, and more depth in case of injuries. I'd love a more physical bottom six winger, who was good defensively, and not a black hole offensively. I'd love a top six LW, who scores at PPG and can play heavy too.

Yep.

We'll be lucky to plug one hole before the deadline. And I don't think a #3 C is the one, considering we ha e a number of guys that can do that job adequately enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad