Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell 1-Year Extension ($1.25M)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Zero chance Seattle takes him FYI, for those thinking there's a chance.

Fairly sure they'll take Tyler Benson based on our current set-up.

Unless he's improved his skating, I'm fine with that. Still a longshot to have a productive NHL career.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
I like it great partner this year for Barrie the 4th forward and next year to help Bouchard transition. Nice cheap bottom pair next year will help resign the important guys. My guess bear gets a one year bridge now and gets kris's money next year if he repeats his performance from last year.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think there is any chance that Seattle takes him, but he fits out expansion requirements and at 1.25M is a really good 6/7 d-man for next season to spell off Broberg/Samorukov if they can make the team.

This upcoming season he's probably on our 2nd pairing unless Jones can prove he's ready for a bigger role.

Reactions: Aerchon

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So unless we expose Koskinen, we don't have a goalie who qualified goalie to expose right? Don't we need a backup plan in case Koski plays lights out and we want to keep him?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So unless we expose Koskinen, we don't have a goalie who qualified goalie to expose right? Don't we need a backup plan in case Koski plays lights out and we want to keep him?
Dylan Wells or Stuart Skinner will meet the requirement so long as they receive a qualifying offer next off-season.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

No requirements for them having played any NHL games.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

upload_2020-10-21_19-6-45.gif

Congratulations on the extension. I agree with you folks that Russell is a good depth d-man whose biggest problem is the Cap Hit for what he brings the last couple of years.

I always cheer for guys like him who are willing to lay their bodies on the line. Nice XD option to protect your other D while being a nice price if he’s not picked.
8572DCD0-4E44-4963-AE5D-63BB428D11D2.gif

Ken has had a really solid off-season imho. But if he can figure out your goalie situation:
D92BF16C-C3F3-4806-B326-2D5441B93E21.gif

Even as a fan of a rival, I really hope he can.

Cheers

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Having Russell as our seventh defencemen at 1.25 Mil. Is very good value.
I would be very surprised if he is not a Kraken. Good character player that would be good in the locker room.

Unpopular opinion: If he is still here after the draft, I would keep him as seventh dman until he wants to call it quits and if Holland still thinks he can contribute.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Congratulations on the extension. I agree with you folks that Russell is a good depth d-man whose biggest problem is the Cap Hit for what he brings the last couple of years.

I get you don't watch the Oilers too much, but Russell hasn't been quite as bad as you say. He has earned his money every season so far. He did drop off in the regular season a little last year. He was solid during the qualifying round. Everyone feared that he would fall apart at some point during the contract. He hasn't really yet.

If not for covid the Oilers might have been able to move Russell this off-season. He was market value before the bottom dropped out of the market. The extension is a tradeoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Having Russell as our seventh defencemen at 1.25 Mil. Is very good value.
I would be very surprised if he is not a Kraken. Good character player that would be good in the locker room.

Unpopular opinion: If he is still here after the draft, I would keep him as seventh dman until he wants to call it quits and if Holland still thinks he can contribute.
I don't think that's unpopular.

I think people malign Russell's contract and, for up until this past season, his playing time. I think most people are amenable to him being a #7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad