Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell 1-Year Extension ($1.25M)

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Seattle isn't taking him. They are hiring analytics people.

If we decided to keep Russell for another 4M cap hit year (instead of moving him now to make better use of his cap space in 20/21) to starfish because we needed a warm body to expose for the draft, that's dumb. Coulda signed a cheap player or done a minor trade later to fill the expansion spot.

Wonder after Seattle doesn't take him if we'll be super nice like with Gryba and buy out his 1.25M deal because we don't wanna hurt his feeling and put him in the minors.

This was the teams best option available to meet the contract exposure requirements. He'll have to play 15 games minimum to meet it. If Russell is moved then Holland will have to go out and get another player signed to a 2 yr contract and force feed him games to reach the 2 season 70 game requirement or 40 games next year.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Seattle isn't taking him. They are hiring analytics people.

If we decided to keep Russell for another 4M cap hit year (instead of moving him now to make better use of his cap space in 20/21) to starfish because we needed a warm body to expose for the draft, that's dumb. Coulda signed a cheap player or done a minor trade later to fill the expansion spot.

Wonder after Seattle doesn't take him if we'll be super nice like with Gryba and buy out his 1.25M deal because we don't wanna hurt his feeling and put him in the minors.

I agree it's not likely that they take him but who will they take then? Khaira? Lagesson? Meh

Also to the last point, he'll be fine as a 7D.

Reactions: Aerchon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep, I think we go 7-3-1 ...

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Benson, 1 other forward

Jones, Bear, Nurse

I think Seattle rolls the dice and takes Klefbom, but that also gives us $4.1m in cap space.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yep, I think we go 7-3-1 ...

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Benson, 1 other forward

Jones, Bear, Nurse

I think Seattle rolls the dice and takes Klefbom, but that also gives us $4.1m in cap space.
Lucky us! 4.1 million so we can find a Klefbom-level defenseman. :sarcasm:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Unfortunately I don't think they'll have a choice anyhow. Klefbom likely won't be the 2016-2017 version of him again.

4.1 + dead cap coming off gives them a decent amount to use towards a top pairing guy, or better yet, Broberg and Bouchard are top 4 guys by then at a heck of a lot less.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Or you can use that money to keep Barrie for example. I think the Oilers may well have to make peace with the idea of a Klefbom-less future. In all honesty he hasn't been great since 2017. In a flat cap COVID world, 4.1 mill goes a lot further than it used to as well.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Unfortunately I don't think they'll have a choice anyhow. Klefbom likely won't be the 2016-2017 version of him again.

4.1 + dead cap coming off gives them a decent amount to use towards a top pairing guy, or better yet, Broberg and Bouchard are top 4 guys by then at a heck of a lot less.
Yea it's pretty difficult to project where we'll be prior to 2021-22. At the very least, you hope one of Bouchard or Broberg are playing full-time, if not both, and Nurse-Bear will still be under contract as well. Best case, we might be able to go:

Right: Bouchard, Bear, UFA
Left: Broberg, Nurse, UFA

If we can get Hamilton, that would be fantastic. Then we'd honestly just need to find a bargain veteran as the 7th defenseman if Russell isn't selected by Seattle.

Nurse - Bear
Broberg - Hamilton
Jones - Bouchard
Russell/Veteran

Let's get Holland to slowly undo all of Chiarelli's errors. He's gotten rid of Lucic - now it's time to bring back Hall and sign Hamilton ;).
Or you can use that money to keep Barrie for example. I think the Oilers may well have to make peace with the idea of a Klefbom-less future. In all honesty he hasn't been great since 2017. In a flat cap COVID world, 4.1 mill goes a lot further than it used to as well.

I'd probably pass on Barrie unless he has a career year. I've mentioned this before, but with Bouchard and Bear on the right, much of his skill-set can be replaced internally. Like I said previiusly, I wouldn't be averse to re-signing Larsson, or a similar type of shutdown gritty defenseman that can break the cycle and eat hard minutes if Adam's back problems continue and we can't get Dougie.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Hey look, a long-term UFA signing that we did not have to buy out.

I think I'll nominate Kris Russell as our most successful UFA signing over the past decade.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
They can easily protect Benson going 7-3-1

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto
RNH
Puljujarvi
Kassian (they will protect him, I know this team well)

So that 7th spot comes down to whether or not they protect Turris or Benson, I've never felt that Holland has liked Benson due to his skating and I imagine Turris gets the protection but it will depend on the next season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Still 0.25 too high under the circumstances. I can all but guarantee Russell would not get more than 1 from any other team in a flat cap world. Especially one that is close to his beloved home in Caroline.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Russell may well be here for the foreseeable future. As a depth player or eventually in our system. Us or Calgary will be his destination for the foreseeable future anyways.

Zero chance Seattle takes him. I've always liked the player but I just can't see him being good enough in this market to take over damn near anyone. Kharia is a very useful PK guy despite being useless otherwise and I take him everyday and twice on Sunday over Russell.

Edit: as much as I'd like a handshake deal with RNH I don't think you risk it. With this signing and Klefbom's injury you sign Nuge asap. I hope Holland can get him on the flat cap discount. I've always hoped RNH would give us a discount due to a slight overpay on his last deal and combine that with the flat cap and hopefully Holland can finally not overpay a valued player.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I really like this signing. I rag on Russel cause he is not worth 4 mill, but he is still a heart and soul player that can be a 6/7 dman. 1.25 mill is what he should be getting paid.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
why is it dumb??? exposing him makes it easier to protect someone else

I don't think his usefulness for the expansion draft makes up for how we're keeping him for another year at his 4M in a season we really need to find a way to turn things around and not waste yet another year of McDrai. Lots of ways to get a guy under contract for 21/22 that played 40 games or 70 over 2 seasons in the NHL, especially with loads of guys desperate for a deal still in free agency. You don't have to marry yourself to a Russell to accomplish that. Should have been trying to move Russell since we were eliminated from the play-ins. He's a waste of 4M of space and one of the big reasons we're gonna have a shallow roster yet again this season.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Still 0.25 too high under the circumstances. I can all but guarantee Russell would not get more than 1 from any other team in a flat cap world. Especially one that is close to his beloved home in Caroline.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Russell may well be here for the foreseeable future. As a depth player or eventually in our system. Us or Calgary will be his destination for the foreseeable future anyways.

Zero chance Seattle takes him. I've always liked the player but I just can't see him being good enough in this market to take over damn near anyone. Kharia is a very useful PK guy despite being useless otherwise and I take him everyday and twice on Sunday over Russell.

Edit: as much as I'd like a handshake deal with RNH I don't think you risk it. With this signing and Klefbom's injury you sign Nuge asap. I hope Holland can get him on the flat cap discount. I've always hoped RNH would give us a discount due to a slight overpay on his last deal and combine that with the flat cap and hopefully Holland can finally not overpay a valued player.
Lol Russell for 1.25 on a 1 year with no NMC is an excellent deal on a bottom pairing D that can move up if needed...

I get it though... just another way you can complain about Holland.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He hasn't played a game yet but as of today I would have Turris protected. $1.65M for a 3C who can play wing in the top-6 is worth a lot right now. If he's exposed Seattle will likely take him unless Holland works out a deal with them.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Turris, Archibald/Kassian
Nurse, Bear, Jones
Koskinen

Reactions: Oilhawks

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Not thrilled. The Contract is fine (although I’m not a fan of this player), but was hoping we’d be able to unload his salary this year yet to give more flexibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->