Krejci Headshot-UPDATE: No Discipline

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Maybe so, I’m kinda surprised he wasn’t harassed the remainder of the game for the hit. Maybe it was due to so many younger players from providence playing up. I couldn’t see Chara or Backes being that timid to take justice into their own hands if they saw Schenn do that.

First Chara didn't dress, he's hurt. Second, K. Miller was the defacto #2 that game due to injuries. Third I don't think schenn takes himself off the ice for 5 mins for fighting to answer the bell there.

Just he should've got more for the actual hit.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I don't set the bar, the NHL rule-book has done that.

As is, there are A LOT of situations where a hit to the head is legal.

I am all for changing the rule-book. I am not for suspending players for legal plays.

Exactly what the people defending dirt bag Cooke said back in the day.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
If head shot season is open I hope the Bruins are going after Matthews with identical hits in the 1st round. He’s already softened up a bit and apparently it’s a ok to launch up and destroy someone in the dome. Dangerous precedent the league is setting right now but I don’t mind as a fan. As long as they call it both ways.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
If head shot season is open I hope the Bruins are going after Matthews with identical hits in the 1st round. He’s already softened up a bit and apparently it’s a ok to launch up and destroy someone in the dome. Dangerous precedent the league is setting right now but I don’t mind as a fan. As long as they call it both ways.

Lol. If a bruins goes up high on Matthews he is getting 5+10 and probably 5 games in the playoffs. Let's not pretend the DOPS doesn't play favorites.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'll go look again but I could have sworn you posted a Boychuk hit
I didn’t post it. Someone else did. Post with two hits: Rattie and Hossa.

To me, the hit on Rattie by Hjarlmasson is same as Schenn. According to DOPS? I guess not.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
For all the people clinging to this belief that it’s not possible to avoid the head when the other player has his “head down”, I give you Johnny Boychuk on Matt Ellis.

Keep in mind that Boychuk is taller than Ellis and Ellis was skating with his head down and Boychuk somehow managed to magically avoid hitting the head and made contact to with the chest/torso.

Maybe Schenn should watch some video of Boychuk?

Number8, this is where I got Boychuk from, no idea etc,

Anyways, the Hammer hit on Rattie, not the same hit, not even close, he comes so close to picking the head, I believe if you look up the suspension video, that will play a huge part in it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
His feet were off the ice at :03 seconds of the video, before he made contact with anything
For all we know, both players are eating ice cream cones in that video at the 3 second mark. I don't know how you think you can possibly tell that contact has not been made yet

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don’t get how this wasn’t a suspension and The Backes hit was. I mean I get they are different hits. I’m not a person that wants suspensions but the league has just been very inconsistent with the Bruins this year. If Marchand made that hit he would miss playoff games.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don’t get how this wasn’t a suspension and The Backes hit was. I mean I get they are different hits. I’m not a person that wants suspensions but the league has just been very inconsistent with the Bruins this year. If Marchand made that hit he would miss playoff games.
Yep. If league does nothing about this then players gonna take measures to their own hands which will make the dirty plays worse. Schenn aint gonna learn now and is gonna do a nother savage predatory attack mark my words. Hopefully a Canuck can teach him a lesson tonight altho our team is weeker then 7 days...

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
There's a reason Krejci fell down from the hit and Nielsen was on his feet before going to the ground on his own.

Schenn hit his head before making a full body check (notice his body moves), which is legal.

Backes picked his head while making no forceful contact with the body (notice his body doesn't move), which is illegal.

Also, notice the height of Krejci's and Nielsen's heads to get an idea of what they look at when determining what is "avoidable"

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep. If league does nothing about this then players gonna take measures to their own hands which will make the dirty plays worse. Schenn aint gonna learn now and is gonna do a nother savage predatory attack mark my words. Hopefully a Canuck can teach him a lesson tonight altho our team is weeker then 7 days...
:laugh: Did you purposely type this message this bad?

What Canuck on that "we already quite" team is going to do anything to Schenn?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In the end, you can see from this thread that there’s dispute over this. Although, IMO, if you take out Blues and Bruins fans it seems that more “non connected” fans see it as suspendable than not.

And, Gary Bettman, theirein lies your problem. Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and say that STL playoff run wasn’t the main factor (very gracious to do by the way, because I don’t believe it for a second) in the non discipline, AT BEST you’ve created a great deal more confusion over something you swore you were going to address: hits leading to concussions.

So, according to Gary Bettman, hits in which players explode up into the head as the primary (pretty much only) point of contact are ok — as long as, well I do t know as long as.

Tighten the chin straps boys. You’re on your own. The Commissioner of the NHL has ok’d head shots.

Reactions: veganbruin

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I don't set the bar, the NHL rule-book has done that.

As is, there are A LOT of situations where a hit to the head is legal.

I am all for changing the rule-book. I am not for suspending players for legal plays.

There are instances were a hit to the head is not illegal, regardless of what the NHL and dos said about this, this wasn't one of them.

your interpretation is you setting the bar.

I listed out a few areas where players are naturally leaning forward, and per your interpretation, you are saying that its legal

that is not the case though.

just because someone's head is out in front of there body does not make the head fair game in all situations.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There are instances were a hit to the head is not illegal, regardless of what the NHL and dos said about this, this wasn't one of them.

I listed out a few areas where players are naturally leaning forward, and per your interpretation, you are saying that its legal

just because someone's head is out in front of there body does not make the head fair game in all situations.[/QUOTE]

No one is saying that, head is out in front, and is picked = illegal vs head out in front and gets hit first with attempt to make a full body contact = legal,

Which is more apt in the Schenn hit, was the head picked or was there body contact?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
When a player leans over to deliver a hip check, nails his opponent in the midsection and drives through to the chest/sternum, was their intention to deliver a check to the chest/sternum?

When a player lowbridges and takes out an opponent's knees/thighs and does the same, is the intention still a body check to the opponent's center of mass simply because they rose through the hit and made contact with the body?

A player changing their plane of attack and driving the majority of their targeted force to their opponent's gourd is headhunting. That's what Schenn did when he coiled to leave his feet, just as someone bending down to hit low. If you don't judge your impact point correctly and hit the head, you are just as responsible as the guy taking out the knees when he claims he was aiming for the gut.

Results matter.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I disagree.

At any rate, are you are saying that Schenn was rising up into the hit? Because that would indicate that he could have avoided the head.

No, I'm saying it wasn't until after contact that his feet left the ice. I'm looking directly at his skate blades and laces and they don't start pointing down (indicating he's left the ice surface) until after initial contact. Do I think Schenn did any of this intentionally, not at all. Do I think he rose up as he drove through him? Yes.

I truly thought Schenn would get at least a game. It really surprises me that he didn't. We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

izlez

Feb 28, 2012

just because someone's head is out in front of there body does not make the head fair game in all situations.
Me, agreeing with the NHL rulebook and the ruling of the DoPS is me setting my own bar?

You, ignoring the rules and the statements made by the DoPS is just you being fair and unbiased and going by the "bar" that has been established?

makes sense.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
A player changing their plane of attack and driving the majority of their targeted force to their opponent's gourd is headhunting. That's what Schenn did when he coiled to leave his feet, just as someone bending down to hit low. If you don't judge your impact point correctly and hit the head, you are just as responsible as the guy taking out the knees when he claims he was aiming for the gut.

Results matter.
So, lets hypothetically say that Schenn doesn't jump/raise up at all and comes in at a normal, average hitting posture.... does he still contact the head on this play?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
So, lets hypothetically say that Schenn doesn't jump/raise up at all and comes in at a normal, average hitting posture.... does he still contact the head on this play?
I'm not here to fall into a series of refutations of coy pedantry. Schenn coiled to change his angular momentum, the only possible result of which was to deliver most of his force into his opponent's head. That was the result of his actions, not some cherry picked hypothetical scenario.

The players in this league who get hit in the head get hit in the head because an opponent hit them in the head. Mistakes happen. Unfortunate accidents occur. You don't get those excuses when you coil up to leap; same as when you duck low. Your intention is clear.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm not here to fall into a series of refutations of coy pedantry. Schenn coiled to change his angular momentum, the only possible result of which was to deliver most of his force into his opponent's head. That was the result of his actions, not some cherry picked hypothetical scenario.

The players in this league who get hit in the head get hit in the head because an opponent hit them in the head. Mistakes happen. Unfortunate accidents occur. You don't get those excuses when you coil up to leap; same as when you duck low. Your intention is clear.

So in essence, your answer is yes, even at the normal average hitting posture, Krecj still gets hit in the head,

Rather lengthy non-answer to a rather simple question, makes one believe you simply don't want to answer the question because you realize that in answering your question, you shouldn't be outraged any longer as by answering the question in the only way it can be answered, one can only conclude that BY THE RULES, this was a good hit.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
So in essence, your answer is yes, even at the normal average hitting posture, Krecj still gets hit in the head,

Rather lengthy non-answer to a rather simple question, makes one believe you simply don't want to answer the question because you realize that in answering your question, you shouldn't be outraged any longer as by answering the question in the only way it can be answered, one can only conclude that BY THE RULES, this was a good hit.

No it wasn't he got a penalty on the ice lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad