Krejci Headshot-UPDATE: No Discipline

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Had the puck: Tick
North south: Tick
head contact unavoidable: Tick

3 ticks. legal hit.

The real question is whether this type of hit should be legal. Should more emphasis be put on the hitter not to carry through as aggressively against vulnerable opponents?
Probably tbh. As much as they are paid it is just a game

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Unavoidable is not something you can tick on this hit

again:
Pause it the instant before he gets hit. His head is the furthest thing in front of him and his chin is at dasherboard height.

Please explain how someone is supposed to come from in front of him and deliver a body check while avoiding the head.
I'd almost say its... "unavoidable"

Skating with your head down is not a viable way of defending yourself.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Congrats. You showed 2 screenshots of Schenn initiating contact with his feet on the ice and his elbow tucked low against his body. We're building a real strong case for a textbook clean check! Lets see the next couple frames!

congrats, you just set the bar for making it legal to check someone in the head ala matt cooke on savard.

anytime someone is skating with the puck (ya know, since you are insinuating that people skate completely up right) they are eligible to be hit in the head.

anytime someone takes a slap shot, hit'em in the head

anytime someone reaches for a puck, hit'em in the head

anytime someone leans foraward, hit'em in the head.

Reactions: Nordiques4life

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm guessing this hit will come up again as a point of discussion when these teams meet next year.

Maybe so, I’m kinda surprised he wasn’t harassed the remainder of the game for the hit. Maybe it was due to so many younger players from providence playing up. I couldn’t see Chara or Backes being that timid to take justice into their own hands if they saw Schenn do that.

Last edited:

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
congrats, you just set the bar for making it legal to check someone in the head ala matt cooke on savard.

anytime someone is skating with the puck (ya know, since you are insinuating that people skate completely up right) they are eligible to be hit in the head.

anytime someone takes a slap shot, hit'em in the head

anytime someone reaches for a puck, hit'em in the head

anytime someone leans foraward, hit'em in the head.
I don't set the bar, the NHL rule-book has done that.

As is, there are A LOT of situations where a hit to the head is legal.

I am all for changing the rule-book. I am not for suspending players for legal plays.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I wish this site would have a thumbs down dislike button and not just a like button. I think it would save a lot of useless banter and I wonder if some posters upon receiving large numbers of down votes might then realize they are outside the fringes of common thinking. Then again, I read many posts where I think people just want to stir the pot and be contrarians. I believe most of us agree that the Dopes and Dopes require some significant change in the manner in which they do business. #NHLOL

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So you take their words they use to describe the play, ignore them, and wonder why you don't understand the ruling?

Why are you showing me a video of skates but not the contact? The two go hand in hand

You can clearly see the contact in the background and his skates are off the ice. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit your agenda.

I wouldn’t expect the refs to catch that, but the DOPS certainly should have.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
You can clearly see the contact in the background and his skates are off the ice. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit your agenda.

I wouldn’t expect the refs to catch that, but the DOPS certainly should have.
What?
100% of people agree that the first point of contact is the head. I don't see Krejci's head in that video at all. How is that supposed to show us if his feet were on the ice at contact?

Nordiques4life

Jan 22, 2010
montreal
There's a small but crucial semantic difference between what you and I are saying (unless I am misunderstanding you, in which case my bad).

You seem to be saying that if Schenn hit Krejci, and initially made contact with the chest before then making contact with the head, it would be legal...as long as the primary point of contact was not the head.

I believe the rules say that if Schenn hit Krejci, and initially made contact with the head before then making contact with his chest, it would be legal...as long as the primary point of contact was not the head.

Schenn 100% makes contact with Krejci's head, that's not up for debate. The question really then becomes, was the head the primary point of contact or did Schenn get enough of Krejci's body for it not to be?

Clearly we each have our own biases here. I think it's hard to tell from the angle, you think it's a slam dunk no brainer. We'll have to wait and see what the DoPS thinks. :dunno:
If you look carefully he was looking at his head all along before the hit its bullshit.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
All I can say is that any fan who really thinks this was a clean hit and agrees with this decision better not cry when when of your own players takes a similar hit in the future.

...and the DoPS has just set a precedent for this type of hit, so they better apply this ruling FAIRLY throughout the league.

We all know that won't happen.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
His feet were off the ice at :03 seconds of the video, before he made contact with anything
Actually, they are not off the ice yet. He initiated contact and then his feet came up. His skates are still flat on the ice when his shoulder contacts Krejci. It's very close, but his feet are still flat. Wait until the toes of the skates are actually pointed down. That's when they come off the ice.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Actually, they are not off the ice yet. He initiated contact and then his feet came up. His skates are still flat on the ice when his shoulder contacts Krejci. It's very close, but his feet are still flat. Wait until the toes of the skates are actually pointed down. That's when they come off the ice.

I disagree.

At any rate, are you are saying that Schenn was rising up into the hit? Because that would indicate that he could have avoided the head.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Parros has been the worst DoPS head ever. Constant contradictions to the point that the only thing that matters anymore is did the other player get back up.
Parros is a figure head and probably has little to no influnce. DoPS has been a joke for awhile and on at least their 3rd leader. Nothing changes until Campbell and everyone down gets the axe.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Parros is a figure head and probably has little to no influnce. DoPS has been a joke for awhile and on at least their 3rd leader. Nothing changes until Campbell and everyone down gets the axe.
But I thought Campbell gave the Bruins all the breaks and was the direct reason for the 2011 Stanley Cup. I'm so confused now...........

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
A suspendable hit is a suspendable hit.

I suspect they gave Schenn got some leniency because his team is right on the edge of the playoff bubble and he is good Canadian boy who caught some Eurotrash off guard and back in the day this would have been a clean hit.

Fact Is the guys at the DPS who made this call, put the value of the whole department into question.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A suspendable hit is a suspendable hit.

I suspect they gave Schenn got some leniency because his team is right on the edge of the playoff bubble and he is good Canadian boy who caught some Eurotrash off guard and back in the day this would have been a clean hit.

Fact Is the guys at the DPS who made this call, put the value of the whole department into question.

I assume the “Eurotrash” comment was tongue in cheek? Krejci left the Czech Republic to play junior in the Q and has been in NA is whole career. That shouldn’t matter one iota, and neither should the fact that STL is battling for a playoff spot.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Jumping or not, puck or not, Schenn clearly aims high. Given his historic I would have given him 2 games. Blues or out of it anyway, I don't see how that's a tough call to make for the league... oh well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad