Proposal: Kreider to ANA

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Crazy how good players can exist on bad teams, huh?
Not when you have 6-8 of them that are all worth 1st round pick and 2 grade a prospects according to hfboards

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
so my question is why would the ducks want to gut their system for a forward? should we be trying to get bieksa out of the top four?

should we have Larsson penciled next year? I don't think our prospect pool is deep enough for this kind of move especially when the playoffs are still a question mark.

lastly how can we afford to take on Kruger or any high priced forward without sending salary back?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The thing is, this is more than just value. It's a team giving up their top 2 prospects, and their next 1st round pick. How many instances can you name where this happened?

The question that we should really be asking is "How many other instances can you think of in which a top-15 defender in the entire league was available at the trade deadline?" When high profile players of this caliber are available at the deadline, top-end assets are moved. McDonagh fits that profile. You don't see it often because a defenseman of McDonagh's ilk is not often available like this.

The last deals that would fit the prototype scenario that you've mentioned if my memory doesn't fail me, would be the Marian Hossa deal to Pittsburgh and Kovalchuk deal to the Devils. Although they're forwards, both were top-15 players in the league at their respective position at the time, those two being top-10.

So, I'm going to say it's out of the realm of possibility, because it would absolutely handicap Anaheim's future. If they win a Cup, hey, that's great, but no matter what happens after, they are in a really ****ty position. Winning a Cup would, arguably, make it worth it, but the fact is the odds don't favor them doing that.

I'm a big McDonagh fan, but I'm not willing to see Anaheim offer up their future for 1 year of McDonagh, and the rest of this season. If another team is willing to make that deal, they are welcome to McDonagh, but I don't think it will happen. You'll see something else instead of that second high value prospect. A rostered player, maybe. Maybe a team like Tampa would be willing to do it, but that would be because their team is currently loaded with young talent that they can be confident will be around for at least a little while. But really, I think you'll get a return worth less than that from them too.

I don't agree, but I respect the opinion and the fact that you took the time to elaborate and explain yourself, unlike many on here.

Supply and demand is a fickle thing. It can often lead to the consumers paying above market value to get a product that's in demand. Will it? I don't know. I don't even know if McDonagh will actually be moved now. They could keep him. I personally would move him now and I think now is the best time to do so. You might limit the number of teams as competitors will be the ones making pushes, obviously, but in the offseason, bubble teams lookingto make that next step and other lower level contenders who could be looking for a piece to make themselves threats could enter the fray.

Who knows, to be honest. We're all just a bunch of fans throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad