Proposal: Kreider to ANA

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Until Kreider's health is resolved nobody is paying top dollar. That's a very serious situation even though he might end up being just fine. But until then, no thanks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Exactly. Larsson +1st is a real good start.

I know that Larsson has got real good potential. But I haven't seen enough of him tbh, what's his comparable player already in the NHL?

Steele + 1st is something that'd interest me even more. Is it realistic though...? You've got great D but Getz, Perry and Kes aren't getting any younger. I doubt they'd move Steele.
Ya i cant see steel being moved based on the reason you said. Idk what hell become as a player but there is def a lot of potential there and i think we have to hold on to him and hope he becomes a 1 or 2c.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
****. That.

That's the equivalent of 3 1st round picks, two of which are looking like really good prospects.

Ya what the hell if thats the case im selling high on silfverberg tommorow.

Lol ur out of your mind if u think kreider returns that. That gets mcdonagh

Thats a pretty big ask for a guy that has crossed 50 points once in his career

Lol at all these reactions.

The OP stated Larsson (27 OA), Ritchie (10 OA) & 2nd Rounder. I don't see it being enough.

What is so outrageous about changing the 2nd to a 1st and replacing 10th OA pick Nick Ritchie with 30th OA pick Sam Steel?

Is that really as outrageous as everyone is making out? I dont think so.

Reactions: The S5

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

The OP stated Larsson (27 OA), Ritchie (10 OA) & 2nd Rounder. I don't see it being enough.

What is so outrageous about changing the 2nd to a 1st and replacing 10th OA pick Nick Ritchie with 30th OA pick Sam Steel?

It would be a massive overpayment. The reactions aren't lol-worthy, whatsoever.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
It would be a massive overpayment. The reactions aren't lol-worthy, whatsoever.

By switching to a lower ranked prospect who is not even NHL ready and moving the 2nd to a 1st?

Flyers got 2x 1s rounders & Lehtera for Brayden Schenn. I would say that this is the benchmark.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
By switching to a lower ranked prospect who is not even NHL ready and moving the 2nd to a 1st?

That's the thing: by no stretch of the imagination is Steel a lower ranked prospect. Draft position becomes entirely meaningless after a few years of development.

If you prefer to get Ritchie because of said ranking, be our guest.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
That's the thing: by no stretch of the imagination is Steel a lower ranked prospect. Draft position becomes entirely meaningless after a few years of development.

If you prefer to get Ritchie because of said ranking, be our guest.

What makes you see Steel as a better prospect than Ritchie? - Serious question, not being patronising. If it goes by numbers then I am dumbfounded as to why Brayden Burke has never been drafted.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
What makes you see Steel as a better prospect than Ritchie? - Serious question, not being patronising. If it goes by numbers then I am dumbfounded as to why Brayden Burke has never been drafted.

Steel's exceptional hockey IQ just translates a lot better to the pro game than Ritchie's powerful game in this day and age. I don't think Ritchie is done developing, and he has some qualities that can still see him turn into a good complimentary top-6 player, but Steel's upside is higher, at this point.

I think most Ducks fans and generally people familiar with the two would rather have Steel.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Of course you don't think so. You're the team offering the player. You'd want high value and believe he has it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not trying to suggest he wasn't a good prospect, but I think Steel has a pretty good argument for being considered better, and we're talking about a deal that includes Steel, Larsson, and a 1st.

How many players can you name that returned something like that?

If Yandle could return a deal like that, McDonagh could definitely get a return close to what you're mentioning.

Will he? I'm never one to prognosticate. I'm just saying that you don't normally see defenders of his caliber available at the trade deadline, so I don't see how anyone can say it's out of the realm of possibility.

I personally think there will be a bidding war for his services.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Of course you don't think so. You're the team offering the player. You'd want high value and believe he has it.
My point was being that the offer swapped to a lower value prospect and moved from a 2nd rounder to a 1st. It’s not a million miles from the OP’s offer which most said wasn’t enough.

You have to understand when it comes to prospects, some fanbases rate their own prospects differently from 3rd party fan bases.

I dont watch the Ducks often or know a great deal about their prospects but Outside looking in, Ritchie seems more valuable than Steel.

@Vipers31 gave me a fair overview of why Ducks fans rate Steel higher than Ritchie.

Reactions: Vipers31

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider by far, due to domination factor.

Miller however is not chopped liver. Drafted 15OA, has shown enough to indicate going higher was not ridiculous, and has shown flashes. Real physical gifts, not in excessive levels, but a nice, complete package who is another victim of AV. Part of the core rebuild, not available unless the return is strategic or otherwise special. Return would not have to be crazy massive overpay, but clearly profitable to NY and worth it in the big picture.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My point was being that the offer swapped to a lower value prospect and moved from a 2nd rounder to a 1st. It’s not a million miles from the OP’s offer which most said wasn’t enough.

You have to understand when it comes to prospects, some fanbases rate their own prospects differently from 3rd party fan bases.

I dont watch the Ducks often or know a great deal about their prospects but Outside looking in, Ritchie seems more valuable than Steel.

@Vipers31 gave me a fair overview of why Ducks fans rate Steel higher than Ritchie.

The thing is, and I mean no offense, I'd ask myself how you came to that conclusion.

Only one thing comes to mind, and that involves you looking at where Ritchie was picked, and then where Steel was picked, and then lazily assuming Ritchie was more valuable.

I say lazily because it is lazy. Ritchie is now 22 years old. It's been almost 4 years since he was drafted. He had a career high 28 points last season(admittedly, in his first full season) and he's on pace for about that number again this season. Forwards like him can take some time to develop, but it's pretty easy to see he's been underwhelming as an NHL player.

Compare that to Steel, who absolutely lit up the WHL in his draft+1 year, with 131 points in 61 games. He had a terrific WJC tournament this year, helping Canada win the Gold. Sure, he has no NHL experience to look at, but considering he just turned 20(last week), that's hardly a surprise. He's simply one of the better prospects out there right now.

The bottom line here is that you should be judging him based on what he's accomplishing, or not accomplishing. You shouldn't be looking at his draft position 3+ years after the fact, and then trying to extrapolate his value vs. a prospect who was drafted 1+ years earlier. The only thing Ritchie has over Steel right now is that he's older. That's basically it. That's not to say Ritchie can't still improve, and start to justify where he was picked, but he has a long way to go if it's going to happen.

Steel is probably Anaheim's best prospect, and I only say probably to be kind.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If all these Ranger players are worth so much you would think they would be more than a .500 team.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Can't see the Ducks moving Steel or Terry at all for now. They are really our only center prospects in our whole system. We need someone to take over for Getz/Kes especially as it will be hard to resign Henrique.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If all these Ranger players are worth so much you would think they would be more than a .500 team.
Yeah, if only many of these players helped them reach the conference finals 3 times, win a presidents trophy, go to the Stanley cup finals, etc. All they've done is play .500 hockey.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Yandle could return a deal like that, McDonagh could definitely get a return close to what you're mentioning.

Will he? I'm never one to prognosticate. I'm just saying that you don't normally see defenders of his caliber available at the trade deadline, so I don't see how anyone can say it's out of the realm of possibility.

I personally think there will be a bidding war for his services.

The thing is, this is more than just value. It's a team giving up their top 2 prospects, and their next 1st round pick. How many instances can you name where this happened?

So, I'm going to say it's out of the realm of possibility, because it would absolutely handicap Anaheim's future. If they win a Cup, hey, that's great, but no matter what happens after, they are in a really shitty position. Winning a Cup would, arguably, make it worth it, but the fact is the odds don't favor them doing that.

I'm a big McDonagh fan, but I'm not willing to see Anaheim offer up their future for 1 year of McDonagh, and the rest of this season. If another team is willing to make that deal, they are welcome to McDonagh, but I don't think it will happen. You'll see something else instead of that second high value prospect. A rostered player, maybe. Maybe a team like Tampa would be willing to do it, but that would be because their team is currently loaded with young talent that they can be confident will be around for at least a little while. But really, I think you'll get a return worth less than that from them too.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Asking for the Ducks top defenseman prospect and top forward prospect with a 1st round pick is too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad