Value of: Kreider or Buchnevich to SJ

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Kreider isn’t worth as much as people think.
He’s like a derivative with a one year expiration date at which point his value is zero.

I'd still offer a good prospect and a 2nd. I wouldn't do Chmelevski as suggested earlier but a guy like Gregor or Blichfeld I would add. I'd also do the conditional 2nd into a 1st if Kreider re-signs or the Sharks win the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: themelkman

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Yeah, nailed it. That's why players with 20 regular season games left on their contracts are routinely traded for 1st round picks and prospects at the trade deadline.

In fairness, that is during an arms race for the playoffs. Value is always over inflated then.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kreider isn’t worth as much as people think.
He’s like a derivative with a one year expiration date at which point his value is zero.

Zero Value...?

Wrong, to the 10th power.

Yeah, nailed it. That's why players with 20 regular season games left on their contracts are routinely traded for 1st round picks and prospects at the trade deadline.

Facts.

Brian Boyle, a 4th line center with no term was traded for a 2nd last season. Hayes, another pending UFA was traded for a 1st plus Lemieux. The previous year Nash was traded for a 1st. Grabner, another pending UFA was traded for a 2nd and a decent prospect.

Hell, Jimmy ****ing Vesey was traded for a third, yet Kreider has zero value.

@PattyLafontaine you clearly don't know much about players value. Kind of an embarrassing take, actually.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
In fairness, that is during an arms race for the playoffs. Value is always over inflated then.
You can make an argument saying the value would be higher now since the acquiring team will have that player for the entire season instead of a couple of weeks.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
You know how people will obnoxiously reply "The Rangers hang up"? In this case I think the Rangers say "I'll call you right back." Then they call a few teams and tell them they need a guaranteed 1st rd pick and a prospect or they'll pull the trigger on another deal. If no one bites they go back to San Jose and say yes. It's a decent deal if it ends up a 2nd, a good one if it's a 1st.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You can make an argument saying the value would be higher now since the acquiring team will have that player for the entire season instead of a couple of weeks.

Maybe if you had some comparable. I mean logical, that makes all the sense in the world but deadline is GMs fighting to keep their teams competitive and low key fighting to keep their jobs so logic goes out the door in most cases.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
In exchange for Chris Kreider, I would offer San Jose’s 2021 1st, Dylan Gambrell, and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2022 that transfers over if SJ wins the Cup in 2020 or Kreider re-signs.

That seems more than fair to both teams. I just wonder how desperate the Rangers are to shed salary so I would start at my offer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Kreider would be a good add but I'm not including a 1st for him unless I'm highly confident he will re-sign. I'd want a deal to be for a 2nd that can be a 1st if he re-signs and a prospect or prospects to fill in the value gap.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Zero Value...?

Wrong, to the 10th power.

Facts.

Brian Boyle, a 4th line center with no term was traded for a 2nd last season. Hayes, another pending UFA was traded for a 1st plus Lemieux. The previous year Nash was traded for a 1st. Grabner, another pending UFA was traded for a 2nd and a decent prospect.

Hell, Jimmy ****ing Vesey was traded for a third, yet Kreider has zero value.

@PattyLafontaine you clearly don't know much about players value. Kind of an embarrassing take, actually.

And all of those deals ALWAYS look bad after the fact lol. Kredier will definitely return a first though. I think what he is saying is Kreider has zero value once the team trading for him has passed the deadline and they can't resign him. That being said Kreider will return a first that's projected to be non lottery and possibly a B prospect

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
That's the case with every rental though. If that's what he meant, he should have worded it much differently.

Agreed. I don't know how anyone can deny kreider will return a first, its almost a guarantee at this point based on history alone. I'd love him on a line with mack and rantanen which allows us to move landeskog to kadris wing. A man can hope.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
joey.jpg

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sometimes just stacking things up doesn't make a team want to do something. In this case I don't think picks 2 years out are worth a lot. And while I like Emond, NYR don't really need a G prospect.

You have to ask yourself: does this beat out other offers from teams that might be offering pieces that the other team actually needs? In this case I think there are a lot of other teams that would make an offer that the Rangers liked better.
While I'm not arguing with your logic, we've been told this for years and Wilson always seems to get a stud somewhere for pennies on the dollar.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
While I'm not arguing with your logic, we've been told this for years and Wilson always seems to get a stud somewhere for pennies on the dollar.
Thats exactly why I made the offer, it just screams wilson to me. Throwing a ton of not bad stuff out for a bit of good stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad