Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Can someone who is following this closely estimate what CK should get realistically?

Also is his recent scoring adding to his value or only fulfilling expectations?

EDIT: Spellcheck fkd me

For Kreider at 50%......
I truly believe that a 2020 1st and a really good young player gets the ball rolling. I think there will be + or +'s to that.......perhaps a later pick and or a conditional pick are added.

Keep in mind the 1st is going to be a very late 1st. A top young player or prospect is key. Something to cover the retention., Conditional pick in case he resigns.. I think this is pretty close.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
if that is the best offer, Rangers better just resign him. awful proposal.
with the rags already leaking that he's a) available and b) they'll eat half his salary, i think it's safe to say any deal will be underwhelming.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
50% retention from deadline to end of the year...

- Kreider's prorated salary for 25% of the season = $1.1M
- 50% retention saves the team $0.55M

Pretty sure the team acquiring him would rather just send a $1M player back the other way who is also on a expiring contract. $0.55M in savings only helps teams who are very very tight against the cap. Doubt it increases his trade value at all.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
50% retention from deadline to end of the year...

- Kreider's prorated salary for 25% of the season = $1.1M
- 50% retention saves the team $0.55M

Pretty sure the team acquiring him would rather just send a $1M player back the other way who is also on a expiring contract. $0.55M in savings only helps teams who are very very tight against the cap. Doubt it increases his trade value at all.

That would mean a lot to Boston.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Why would either of those indicate an underwhelming deal?

Retention only adds more value and he is the best forward available. I think your belief is "off".
i'm always suspicious when a team is trying too hard to make a player trade palatable to other teams. seems like the rangers are in that boat so i view this as adding negative value. even the team knows they need to eat half of his salary to move him.

not hard to see how plenty of fans and teams would view retention as positive for their cap and roster situation, but it's not the only interpretation available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would mean a lot to Boston.

Hard to figure out IMO. Cap friendly says they have $61K in cap space but $3.1M in cap space at the deadline. Then you have Miller on LTIR which skews the numbers as time moves forward.

50% don't mean much on Kreider for 25% of his $4.625M cap hit. All the Bruins would have to do is send Nordstrom the other way. Rangers won't put up a fuss about that

If Kreider had an extra year in term... now that completely different cause it's for a full season

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
i'm always suspicious when a team is trying too hard to make a player trade palatable to other teams. seems like the rangers are in that boat so i view this as adding negative value. even the team knows they need to eat half of his salary to move him.

not hard to see how plenty of fans and teams would view retention as positive for their cap and roster situation, but it's not the only interpretation available.

He doesn't need to be made palatable. He is the best rental on the market.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I heard Kreider was fast but never actually believed it until I watched him against the Leafs last night. He truly is a strong, fast and talented player. I hope Boston doesn't get him because if they do.. man watch out!

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

This is a bad take.
Are you thinking that teams interested in Kreider are taking the Rangers word on him being a good player? Everyone knows who and what he is. That's why it has been reported that up to 8 teams are interested.
The Rangers would retain to allow teams against the cap to enter the bidding.
Bottom line is he is the most coveted player on the market and many teams view him as the kind of guy they want for the playoffs. As much as finesse and dangles looks great, come playoff time, grit, speed and going to the dirty areas are what wins and Kreider brings all three.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

If you judge the player/deal involved, you can clearly see that in this case, retention is a positive. Kreider is not some albatross contract being moved. That might be the only instance in which your opinion might have some credence.

I'm not sure how "hard" NYR are trying to move Kreider but adding retention is a valuable plus and he is the best available UFA out there.......so there is that......it just makes it easier if necessary.
I see adding retention to accommodate cap relief to teams that might be tighter to the cap as simply opening up the market to more teams who might otherwise be out of the auction.

What is there to be suspicious of? Kreider is on a point scoring tear, he brings a unique style of play that teams cherish. Historically he has been a playoff performer. He is the best available player at the TDL......not some burdensome contract dump.
Is your hesitance based on the rumors St. Louis might be linked to him?
I think your opinion is incorrect regarding adding negative value, in fact, I think its a really unrealistic take on it.

Reactions: RANGERS13ADL

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

What a bizarre take.

Adding negative value?

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020

Well would you like to have 4 options for teams to offer a deal or 12 options? Rangers don't care about money, if there was a luxury tax for going over the cap they would. They would retain 100% if they could just to get two 1st round picks or more in a deal. As would a team like Toronto. If buffalo or carolina or many other teams offered this deal it would maybe be considered a negative thing, but not from one of the richest franchises.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't do Kyrou straight up for Kreider....LOL that was a horrible idea. Cost controlled young good scoring prospect that allows us to let Jade Schwartz walk after next season is way too much to give for a rental. 1st, B prospect in minors, and another pick I'm okay with.
I am good with 1st + B prospect, + another pick / whatever to make it work. I suppose definition of B prospect comes into play, but in general B prospect that's close/ready to make the NHL jump is what I want.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

The difference in this case is that retention doesn't make the trade "palatable". It's almost certainly going to happen regardless of if salary is retained. All retention does in this situation is add value to the best rental on the market.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm gonna jump in here and say this, i don't watch Kreider much, but if he's the same in every game as he was last night? Someone should jump at getting him quickly...dude looked good.

Reactions: CaptTennille

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I heard Kreider was fast but never actually believed it until I watched him against the Leafs last night. He truly is a strong, fast and talented player. I hope Boston doesn't get him because if they do.. man watch out!
Speaking of skating - is there a player that skates as effortlessly as Nylander? It's like he's not even trying and he's all around the ice in an eye blink.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Bruin fan here, Would Matt Grzelcyk and Trent Frederick plus this years number one pick get it done. I think this is a fair package for a rebuilding team. Grzelcyk can help this D. Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad