Recalled/Assigned: Kreider and Mashinter recalled to Rangers

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Is it just me, or is it starting to feel like John Tortorella was the only thing that covered up the fact this organization isn't really building with a plan but just playing musical chairs?

It's also possible that the trade for Rick Nash and inability to resign Brandon Prust changed the makeup of this team in such a big way that the team is now neither skilled enough nor stiff enough to win.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

What? Its possible anytime there is a concussion. I think worse case. Its something that could happen.

Or he could never be the same player again because of concussion worries.

Its worst case, but we all have to consider the possibilty that Nash is damaged goods.. to no fault of his own.

Its like people forget that it actually HAS happened to us. Don't even have to point to other teams or examples. We have our very own example in Michael Sauer.

I understand he had a bit of a concussion history, but this is Nash's second concussion in less than a year real time.

*Bob Richards*

I don't understand all the love for Haley. Does it really make much of a difference whether it's him or Mashinter? They're both marginal players who will be asked to fill marginal roles.

I like Haley's insanity over Mashinter's complacence.

Championship*

What? Its possible anytime there is a concussion. I think worse case. Its something that could happen.

Or he could never be the same player again because of concussion worries.

Its worst case, but we all have to consider the possibilty that Nash is damaged goods.. to no fault of his own.

Its like people forget that it actually HAS happened to us. Don't even have to point to other teams or examples. We have our very own example in Michael Sauer.

I understand he had a bit of a concussion history, but this is Nash's second concussion in less than a year real time.

Nash is not like Sauer at all.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I do not remember Mashinter but I'll assume he is better than Pyatt.

Don't. People like Mash here because he lives up to his nickname and he's never played enough to actually do anything worth hating him over. He will be lucky if he plays as many NHL games in his career has Pyatt has played in most seasons.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Nash is not like Sauer at all.

Concussions are unpredictable... did anyone think at the time that this would happen to Sauer?

The impact of the hit isn't the only factor to judge either.

Look, its a worst case thing to happen.. maybe its not even worth posting.. but its possible something like this could really impact his career, even if it means returning but not being as effective.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I like the Mashinter callup, brings some needed toughness to the lineup, and he can't be any worse than Powe in terms of offensive production.

Not sure how I feel about Kreider, if he's going to stay up and be allowed to work through his mistakes while getting decent minutes, it's a good move, if it's for 4th line duty and he's going to be sent down as soon as Hagelin is back, it's a bad move.

He can be worse than Powe in virtually every other aspect of the game though.

This fan base is so starved for a REAL physical player (I don't blame us, by the way) - a guy like Lucic or Byfuglien, for example - that we get "happy" when a guy like Mashinter gets called up. Mashinter isn't an NHL player and never will be. He's a liability defensively, will never provide anything offensively, can't be asked to PK, isn't fast enough to do much good on the forecheck and in general is only good if he records a hit on each shift he gets, and only gets 4-5 shifts. He doesn't play that physically in the NHL though, and so he's basically as useless as it gets. Powe, while also pretty impotent, can at least skate, handle the puck a wee bit, PK, forecheck, backcheck, etc. Powe should be on this team's fourth line, playing minimal minutes but providing forecheck and energy, like a fourth line should. Mash will just be a human pylon with a cool nickname who might punch somebody in a meaningless, but entertaining hug fest.

Championship*

Concussions are unpredictable... did anyone think at the time that this would happen to Sauer?

The impact of the hit isn't the only factor to judge either.

Look, its a worst case thing to happen.. maybe its not even worth posting.. but its possible something like this could really impact his career, even if it means returning but not being as effective.

Yes, we did

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Meanwhile, I don't get the love for Haley either, but he's overdue a call-up. He's quicker than Mash, has a bit more experience, plays a LOT more physically (averages over 3 hits per game in the NHL - Mash averages slightly over 1 hit per game) and is more of a pest as well. I think we could use that more than a big, slow plod who will drop the gloves and "mash" someone.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mashinter has every reason to play full bore. If he can't make it now he's not going to make it at all. This is maybe the best chance he's ever had because if he plays with fire there is no way he's going back down because currently there is no fire. Torts did not give him much ice time last year when he was up. He has size and toughness. He needs to use it.

As far as Kreider--I don't know if it's a good idea but he ain't no baby and this team is not scoring anywhere near enough and we have 3 of our top 6 forwards out and without a doubt he's more talented than most of the other options. Pyatt frankly sucks on the 3rd line and last night he's getting 1st line minutes?--he's The Tominator 2 as far as I'm concerned. Get him off this team. We're stuck in a mud hole spinning our wheels with this guy and only going to dig ourselves deeper if we keep giving him premium ice time. If the vets can't do the job--then dump them some way some how.

The Rangers have scored 11 goals and given up 29 in just 7 games. We're lucky in a way that we have two wins with those numbers. That's a -18 in just 7 games. We're being outscored on average a little over 2 and a half goals per game. That's pretty much getting gang *****. Over 4 GAA and averaging 1 and a half goals a game. The current team we're dressing is not even being competitive.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Why are people calling out management for 'terrible player development'

Does anyone look at the ****ing circumstances right now with injuries? You act as if these players are Bantam level. They are PRO's who are signed to contracts and in the case of injury, or needing a spark you CALL THEM UP.

I don't agree with Pyatt getting 17 minutes of ice time or playing on the power play, but that is an entirely different story.

The situation is what is ****ed up right now. You go with what you have. The SITUATION needs to be dramatically changed. Trades, etc.

I agree with you on this. Would it be ideal to get Kreids, Miller, etc at least a month or 2 of straight play down in the AHL to get real comfortable and then get called up to the NHL? Yes, but with all the injuries we have in our top 6, you need them and this team barely had a pulse against the Devils.

So far the regular season play of Miller has not been real impressive, he has not stood out to me as he did in the preseason.

I am interested to see the lines that get constructed by AV, he said he wants to be able to play Kreider top 6 minutes if he is up here, so I expect that, hopefully it happens because that is where he will succeed. That said, he may have a bumpy start, but I just read Ranger Rants (Andrew Gross's blog) that Kreider looks spectacular in the practices with NYR (this based off preseason, i'd assume), and he just needs to put it together in the game. So let's see what he can do on Thursday night.

Punxrocknyc19*

Mash vs Rinaldo should be fun to watch if Mash plays on Thursday vs Flyers which he should.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Is it just me, or is it starting to feel like John Tortorella was the only thing that covered up the fact this organization isn't really building with a plan but just playing musical chairs?

It's also possible that the trade for Rick Nash and inability to resign Brandon Prust changed the makeup of this team in such a big way that the team is now neither skilled enough nor stiff enough to win.

I believe that Prust had the biggest impact of the players we lost. Should have signed him to an extension before he became a free agent and the market upped the price for him.

So who sits so Kreider can play... Pyatt, Poo or Zucarello? I would chose Pyatt but I don't think that is going to happen.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They called up Mashinter as well to negate Kreider's speed. Can't get too fast now.

He's not slow. Just unsure at times. I've seen this guy skate live, he isn't slow, but he needs to play a simple game, and play with some confidence. I think he can be a Brandon Bollig type. Dude is a legit heavy weight.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Mashinter has every reason to play full bore. If he can't make it now he's not going to make it at all. This is maybe the best chance he's ever had because if he plays with fire there is no way he's going back down because currently there is no fire. Torts did not give him much ice time last year when he was up. He has size and toughness. He needs to use it.

As far as Kreider--I don't know if it's a good idea but he ain't no baby and this team is not scoring anywhere near enough and we have 3 of our top 6 forwards out and without a doubt he's more talented than most of the other options. Pyatt frankly sucks on the 3rd line and last night he's getting 1st line minutes?--he's The Tominator 2 as far as I'm concerned. Get him off this team. We're stuck in a mud hole spinning our wheels with this guy and only going to dig ourselves deeper if we keep giving him premium ice time. If the vets can't do the job--then dump them some way some how.

The Rangers have scored 11 goals and given up 29 in just 7 games. We're lucky in a way that we have two wins with those numbers. That's a -18 in just 7 games. We're being outscored on average a little over 2 and a half goals per game. That's pretty much getting gang *****. Over 4 GAA and averaging 1 and a half goals a game. The current team we're dressing is not even being competitive.
Well put on Pyatt and Mashinter. Kreider needs more time to develop his talent on the pro level in the A. Love the start the Pack has had, scoring goals, playing solid D answering anyone's toughness. Good environment for all of the actual prospects to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad