LeBrun: Kraken will be serious players in free agency - ''going to spend big if they can''

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think it's hilarious how something like this is being treated like news or anything just because a Toronto media guy's posting this.

Francis being "aggressive" in free agency(1 top six forward, 1 middle six forward, 1 RHD) is something that's known since before the trading deadline as Francis himself said so back then.

Still, I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that Francis will get one of the big free agents or will spent all the cap space on guys like that.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think it's hilarious how something like this is being treated like news or anything just because a Toronto media guy's posting this.

Francis being "aggressive" in free agency(1 top six forward, 1 middle six forward, 1 RHD) is something that's known since before the trading deadline as Francis himself said so back then.

Still, I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that Francis will get one of the big free agents or will spent all the cap space on guys like that.

Maybe more 1 year deals for guys he can flip at the deadline. He should focus on continuing the selloff and tanking for Bedard.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Maybe more 1 year deals for guys he can flip at the deadline. He should focus on continuing the selloff and tanking for Bedard.

The Kraken are not going to be tanking on purpose just like they didn't do this past season.
There was just too much not working(defense and goaltending, which should've helped to win games) and once they figured things out after the TDL(team was nearly playin .500 hockey) it was way too late.

They're trying to built and get better and won't be going into an offseason just signing guys to flip them etc. like an Arizona.

Though, I'd expect more moderate deals(2-4 years) for solid players, unless Forsberg or Gaudreau really want to sign because of no state tax and a huge payday.

BTW: Francis also doesn't have the luxury to wait around and built like an Arizona etc. because ownership expects more than last year and wants to establish the brand even more in Seattle before the most likely return of an NBA team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Kraken are not going to be tanking on purpose just like they didn't do this past season.
There was just too much not working(defense and goaltending, which should've helped to win games) and once they figured things out after the TDL(team was nearly playin .500 hockey) it was way too late.

They're trying to built and get better and won't be going into an offseason just signing guys to flip them etc. like an Arizona.

Though, I'd expect more moderate deals(2-4 years) for solid players, unless Forsberg or Gaudreau really want to sign because of no state tax and a huge payday.

BTW: Francis also doesn't have the luxury to wait around and built like an Arizona etc. because ownership expects more than last year and wants to establish the brand even more in Seattle before the most likely return of an NBA team.
The tank assumptions for more picks are ludicrous. Five picks in the first two rounds this year and four more next year and theres still another deadline. They don’t need to scrounge for more picks. They need players to build around the next few years.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Seattle is also interest in JVR, Debrincat, and Beauviller so who knows man. Seattle really could use a top 6 upgrade and all.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Why do people keep saying this? How did he mess up the ED, by not taking Tarasenko? You do know that they got Dunn from St. Louis who was one of the Kraken's best D last year, is younger and wasn't coming off two injury riddled seasons. Duchene, who had 13 points the season before and had a massive contract? Voracek, who's in his 30's making a ton of money? The only bad move they made was taking Vanacek and not Dillon, they could've got an extra 2nd out of that deal.

For me it's more about the lack of direction. If ownership wants Seattle competing quickly like Vegas then yes you take Tarasenko, Duchene, etc. If it's building through the draft and showing patience, there's no need to sign two goalies taking up to 10m in cap space. Eberle eating up 5.5, signing a 30 year old Schwartz to a 5 year deal.

Instead Seattle were just kind of left in purgatory. Now they are going to try and plug those holes via UFA.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Man the Kraken are a f***ing dumpster fire. Francis has done a horrible job.
Lol?

For me it's more about the lack of direction. If ownership wants Seattle competing quickly like Vegas then yes you take Tarasenko, Duchene, etc. If it's building through the draft and showing patience, there's no need to sign two goalies taking up to 10m in cap space. Eberle eating up 5.5, signing a 30 year old Schwartz to a 5 year deal.

Instead Seattle were just kind of left in purgatory. Now they are going to try and plug those holes via UFA.
Seems to me going after Gaudreau/ Forsberg is better than taking Tarasenko/Duchene contracts. People need to stop being mad that Seattle didn’t take their teams terrible contracts, keep crying about it elsewhere.

Reactions: wraparound

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Botched the draft big time and now when possibly a generational player will be eligible to be drafted (Bedard) they decide to get a much better roster? They can't wait 1 more year or something? Dumb AF.

Enjoy mediocrity.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Botched the draft big time and now when possibly a generational player will be eligible to be drafted (Bedard) they decide to get a much better roster? They can't wait 1 more year or something? Dumb AF.

Enjoy mediocrity.
Finishing dead last means absolutely nothing, this isn’t the NFL….

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I think Francis knows what he's doing. New franchise, you're not going to sell seats with Yanni Gourde as your best player. Their roster badly needs a couple star players.
Should've drafted Voracek, Tarasenko then. They drafted a lot of barely AHL players who they then lost to waivers or they chose not to re-sign. Could've picked a lot of decent players and if worst came to worst, retained salary and then they would've gotten good draft picks back. Tarasenko at 50% retained would've been a very good trading piece. Same thing with Voracek/JVR and many, many more.

They did f*** all.

Reactions: shadow1

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Should've drafted Voracek, Tarasenko then. They drafted a lot of barely AHL players who they then lost to waivers or they chose not to re-sign. Could've picked a lot of decent players and if worst came to worst, retained salary and then they would've gotten good draft picks back. Tarasenko at 50% retained would've been a very good trading piece. Same thing with Voracek/JVR and many, many more.

They did f*** all.
Holy f*** bud, mad much lol?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Holy f*** bud, mad much lol?
How am I mad? I just stated the obvious that they failed miserably.

I'm a Rangers fan, Seattle are not exactly a rival of ours.

It's just shocking how bad they botched the draft.

Finishing dead last means absolutely nothing, this isn’t the NFL….
I never said you needed to finish last. But finishing in the bottom gives you a much better chance of winning the draft lottery.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
How am I mad? I just stated the obvious that they failed miserably.

I'm a Rangers fan, Seattle are not exactly a rival of ours.

It's just shocking how bad they botched the draft.
Go back to the Rangers board lol. They didn’t botch any draft, I’m glad they didn’t take on bloated contracts like JVR/Voracek like your suggesting, that would actually be a New York type of move when you think about it.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I can see something like this.

Gaudreau-Giroux-E. Kane
McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Schwartz-Beniers-burakovsky
Donato-Wennberg-Donskoi

Oleksiak-Letang
Dunn-Klingberg
Soucy-Larsson

Grubauer
Ah yes, because almost every big UFA will sign for one team, that happens so often. Especially for a team that is nowhere near contention.

This is how you end up overpaying like crazy and end up being a bubble team.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Go back to the Rangers board lol. They didn’t botch any draft, I’m glad they didn’t take on bloated contracts like JVR/Voracek like your suggesting, that would actually be a New York type of move when you think about it.
You can't be serious. Not that much term left, they're big names and look at their production this season. They would've gotten you great returns if you retained 50%. You do not need that capspace for those few years.

Talk about burying your head in the sand. Bigger homer than a lot of the infamous, obnoxious fans on this site.

You do not understand asset management at all.

You are nowhere close to competing, you are a new team that needs to get good young players. How could you get those for free? Hmm, how about weaponizing the cap. Your GM said he would do that, he did no such thing.

You could have had a lot of great picks in this or next years draft.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
You can't be serious. Not that much term left, they're big names and look at their production this season. They would've gotten you great returns if you retained 50%. You do not need that capspace for those few years.

Talk about burying your head in the sand. Bigger homer than a lot of the infamous, obnoxious fans on this site.

You do not understand asset management at all.

You are nowhere close to competing, you are a new team that needs to get good young players. How could you get those for free? Hmm, how about weaponizing the cap. Your GM said he would do that, he did no such thing.

You could have had a lot of great picks in this or next years draft.
Lol please tell me the Rangers would be lining up to take JVR asap, especially the JVR from last season. Get out of here

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Lol please tell me the Rangers would be lining up to take JVR asap, especially the JVR from last season. Get out of here
JVR had 40 points in 57 games the year of your draft. You could've picked him or Voracek (I would've chosen Voracek) and then retained half their salary.

You are kidding yourself if you think no one would offer at least a 2nd for a player of that calibre for that cheap.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
JVR had 40 points in 57 games the year of your draft. You could've picked him or Voracek (I would've chosen Voracek) and then retained half their salary.

You are kidding yourself if you think no one would offer at least a 2nd for a player of that calibre for that cheap.

[mod]
Finally your leaving. Hey Atleast our 2nd overall pick Beniers didn’t come into the league and look like an absolute bust like Laf and Kakko, enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad