LeBrun: Kraken will be serious players in free agency - ''going to spend big if they can''

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The Kraken and the UFA market

I can’t tell you how many different sources across the league mentioned to me over the past couple of weeks to keep an eye on the Seattle Kraken ahead of the July 13 UFA market.

Word out of Seattle is the Kraken intend on being serious players in free agency.

“They’re going to spend big if they can,’’ a source reiterated Wednesday.

I wonder if they’ll make an offer to Johnny Gaudreau if he hits the market, for example. Wouldn’t surprise me if they did.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is one of the better UFA crops in 10 years in my view.
Are there any who would be interested in the Kraken this early in the team's development? The team probably has at least one more year before they contend for or make the playoffs.

The '23 offseason seems to be the one where they should try to sign the younger UFAs.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Are there any who would be interested in the Kraken this early in the team's development? The team probably has at least one more year before they contend for or make the playoffs.
It's a flat cap world and so many teams are already in cap hell. There will be somewhat desperate UFA's who will take the biggest offer and the Kraken with the cap room they have can provide that biggest offer.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So they botched the expansion draft because "cap space is the most important asset" but decided to waste it all on UFA that's going to be overpaid?
I'm not saying that it was The Plan, but saving your cap space for a UFA class that's actually pretty good isn't the worst approach.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
feels like a bad idea to me. They made their bed when they screwed up the expansion draft. Signing a bunch of bad contracts to be relative seems like the wrong way to go. I'm saying "bad" because normally if you're a "big player" in free agency, you're handing out a lot of $ and term.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This is how you build an underperforming, overpaid roster that leaves you cornered when you need to make a move because nothing is working. This would have been okay if they were extremely aggressive last year in collecting picks and prospects that can give cheap talent or future trade collateral, but they did damn near the bare minimum. Seattle is not going to be a threat anytime soon.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What an odd strategy for an expansion team. You forego grabbing guys like Tarasenko or Duchene in the expansion draft who are under shorter term than you’ll have to offer in free agency a year later, and then announce that you’re going all in on free agency a year later?

I foresee this team topping out at mediocre for the next decade. If they stock up in UFA this year, they won’t be picking high enough in a stacked draft next year to nab a franchise player (maybe Beniers is already that guy, but it would be on the lower range of franchise player).

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
McCann-Gourde-E. Kane
Schwartz-Beniers-Eberle
Donato-Wennberg-Donskoi
Sheahan-Geekie-Lind

Oleksiak-Letang
Dunn-Larsson
Soucy-Borgen

Grubauer
Dreiger

Pretty solid.

Trying to make the playoffs early on for a new franchise may be more beneficial then taking a few years to build a team.

Reactions: Fatass

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
For some reason this feels like Nichushkin/Burakovsky to me (more than likely Bura). Maybe they end up being the team unafraid to throw money at Mason Marchement. I very much doubt they'll be in on the Malkin/Letang/ect types.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They'll be too good to get Connor Bedard. Should wait 1 year before spending.
They weren't even able to finish at the bottom this year, what makes you think they're going to next year? Beniers looks like a stud.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is one of the better UFA crops in 10 years in my view.

It's one of the best ever. Certainly for forwards - blueline is fairly thin.

Gaudreau, Forsberg, Klingberg are three U-30 impact players. Kane is a 4th although yuck. And then you have Kadri, Malkin, Letang, Giroux, Bergeron all still as older top players on top of that. Having ~10 impact players available is very unusual.

But yeah, why Seattle would be major players is strange. The Vegas thing happening to them has sailed and they should be building traditionally through the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad