Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Adam Larsson (4M x 4)

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I have. You're not missing anything.

Also, rural Canadians up north are extremely racist towards First Nation people, if you're not white they will treat you like crap. I'm not First Nation, but I'm not white either so I know first hand.
I do live in Alberta and this does happen, as evidenced by the vitriol directed Ethan Bear's way following the playoff exit. That said, Edmonton is still a fine city, but the pressure of the market place isn't every players cup of tea.

As for the taxes, the personal income tax rate in Alberta is 15% on any income over $314,928.01 CDN. That's on top of the federal rate of 33% on income over $214,368 CDN.

Complicating things is if you are a foreign worker like Larsson was, you also may have your home country come after a portion of your income. Don't know if Sweden does this.

This is a simplistic overview but you can get the idea of what players in Canadian markets face. Also, if they own their house there is the municipal taxes as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I do live in Alberta and this does happen, as evidenced by the vitriol directed Ethan Bear's way following the playoff exit. That said, Edmonton is still a fine city, but the pressure of the market place isn't every players cup of tea.

As for the taxes, the personal income tax rate in Alberta is 15% on any income over $314,928.01 CDN. That's on top of the federal rate of 33% on income over $214,368 CDN.

Complicating things is if you are a foreign worker like Larsson was, you also may have your home country come after a portion of your income. Don't know if Sweden does this.

This is a simplistic overview but you can get the idea of what players in Canadian markets face. Also, if they own their house there is the municipal taxes as well.
The other factor is that it's cold AF up there. Probably too cold for even a Swede, lol.

Seattle gets below freezing for a week or two a year.

Climate of Edmonton - Wikipedia

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I'm sad the Oilers lost him. :( He was arguably our 2nd best defender over the last 5 years.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
The other factor is that it's cold AF up there. Probably too cold for even a Swede, lol.

I find the cold weather a weak argument for a playing destination. And it perpetuates the thought that northern cities aren’t a great place to live. Playing pond hockey was fun in the cold.

DanoCanuck

Jul 18, 2021
Francis didn't have a hard sell job. Seattle is WAY better to live in than Edmonton. Ive lived in both, it's not even close. Didn't have anything to do with the cold or racism either.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I find the cold weather a weak argument for a playing destination. And it perpetuates the thought that northern cities aren’t a great place to live. Playing pond hockey was fun in the cold.
As a ski instructor, I found that most people's tolerance for cold weather ends around 20F at least in the US. I've lived in cold places within the US and warm places, I can tell you that it does make a difference to people who have not grown up in that climate. Not to mention hockey players often have family, and we know there have been trades based on where the wife wants to live.

People complain about the winter weather in Seattle, but I duck hunt and ski, so the weather is perfect for me. Doesn't mean everyone likes rain every day.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I really think it simply comes down to Larsson moving on. He obviously had the rough go with his father's passing, as well as living up to the one-for-one deal for Taylor Hall which many in the Edmonton fanbase consider a lopsided loss.

It's a fresh start in a fresh market IMHO.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Francis didn't have a hard sell job. Seattle is WAY better to live in than Edmonton. Ive lived in both, it's not even close. Didn't have anything to do with the cold or racism either.
I live in Bellingham, my employer would have to offer up at least 50% pay raise for me to even consider moving there. Some people do like smaller cities.

They offered me 30% to relocate to SF Bay area, and I laughed. The cost of living there is atrocious, so that's another factor. I assume Edmonton would have an advantage in that regards though it's probably offset by no state tax.

It all depends on the person, and we probably won't know why Larsson chose Seattle over Edmonton, but hopefully we'll be happy that he did.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Also, rural Canadians up north are extremely racist towards First Nation people, if you're not white they will treat you like crap. I'm not First Nation, but I'm not white either so I know first hand.

Hey please don't classify Edmonton in the "racist towards Native" category. It is a pretty multicultural city. It is definitely not as racist as Seattle is as I live in Vancouver and have been in Seattle and have had quite a few run ins with racist white folks all the time.

No one treated Native Indians more worse then then American colonizers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hey please don't classify Edmonton in the "racist towards Native" category. It is a pretty multicultural city. It is definitely not as racist as Seattle is as I live in Vancouver and have been in Seattle and have had quite a few run ins with racist white folks all the time.

I said rural north, Edmonton isn't rural. The big cities don't have as much of an issue.

Seattle isn't racist, they're just dicks to everyone. I live in B'ham, and I stay away from the city.

I get that you're defending your home country, but it sounds like you're a minority. Go take a trip towards the Arctic circle, and you'll be enlightened. If you look like you're First Nation, be prepared to be denied service at rural restaurants. They won't tell you to leave, they just won't serve you and hope you leave.

DanoCanuck

Jul 18, 2021

ALL colonizers treated the indigenous horribly. Canada is pretty much a tolerant multi-cultural nation, especially Vancouver, but on a much bigger scale than anywhere in the US. Ive lived all over the world and the most racist people I've ever met didn't even live in North America. Racism had nothing to do with a player leaving Edmonton. The lifestyle in Seattle just offers so much more on top of spectacular scenery. Just have to get used to the rain.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik

Larsson is from northern Sweden, so I think we can rule out climate as a factor.
Daily mean temperature in his hometown is not much different from Edmonton. Edmonton does have record low temperatures that are far colder though.
Skellefteå - Wikipedia

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Larsson is from northern Sweden, so I think we can rule out climate as a factor.
Daily mean temperature in his hometown is not much different from Edmonton. Edmonton does have record low temperatures that are far colder though.
Skellefteå - Wikipedia
Just because someone grew up there doesn't mean that they like the climate. I grew up in Maryland, I absolutely hate hot humid weather. I installed AC in my house 6 years ago. Obviously a wise move now, I worked from home during the heat wave. Just flat out refuse to head into the office, lol.

We'll never know why, could just be that he hates the owners, GM, or fans.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
actually, i think Edmonton is not the place to be for a lot of players. either the organisation nor the city have lots in favor. i d go with seattle as well. especially, when you see where vegas went in 4 years. they have reached much more than edmonton in those years. so it might be a mix ...

Laughably dumb comment.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
So as someone who has not closely followed Larsson, is he a legit top-4 D now? I watched him a few years back on the Oilers and he didnt appear to be all that impressive.
Larsson.jpg

The avarage low of Skellefteå where Adam Larsson is from is a couple of Celsius lower than Edmonton. We also have much more snow than Edmonton and the few days the sun is visible during the winter, it's up for 4-5 hours.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has had some bad years but was good this year. He is great defensively but little happens offensively when he is on the ice.

The concern is if his back issues come back he becomes a horrid defender. Hopefully for him and Seattle those are a thing of the past.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
He has had some bad years but was good this year. He is great defensively but little happens offensively when he is on the ice.

The concern is if his back issues come back he becomes a horrid defender. Hopefully for him and Seattle those are a thing of the past.

He played injured at stretches when he had some lesser periods! His father died at 50 visit him in Edmonton, perhaps change town is a personal move, heard he had better offers and Oilers were about same as Krakens.

The guy is/was a beast last season, top in hits and blocked shots whole Nhl!

Goalies best friend clears the crease and punish intruders there and around the board.

Actually a good skater, great vision to cut angles so it looks easy when he break up plays!

One of the best shutdown D in the leuage, and has never had a more free role, always covered for Klefbom offensive adventures, and got rookies and crap to nurse after that.

Has showed good offensive skills in the national team with a more free roll and better defensive partners, also followed up more in attacks last seaso

Played only about 30% of his icetime with McD, so he holds him selves with worse linemates.

Great pk er and always depended on defending leads the last minutes of games.

Its a disaster to losing him, we havent any good defensive Rhd in the system and his skills at that level isnt easy and will be expensive for us to replace on the open market.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I like the signing. Top 4 anchor for a reasonable price. I haved lived in Edmonton and Seattle. Larsson picked Seattle. Canada is a hard sale.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Wow, u sure about this ?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I said rural north, Edmonton isn't rural. The big cities don't have as much of an issue.

Seattle isn't racist, they're just dicks to everyone. I live in B'ham, and I stay away from the city.

I get that you're defending your home country, but it sounds like you're a minority. Go take a trip towards the Arctic circle, and you'll be enlightened. If you look like you're First Nation, be prepared to be denied service at rural restaurants. They won't tell you to leave, they just won't serve you and hope you leave.
Arctic Circle? There are no white people living up there

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wow, u sure about this ?
Been there many times, mostly Thompson Manitoba (including transit to and from). It's not as bad now because there are more immigrants, so at least now some of them can tell the difference between Asians and First Nation.

As recently as 2010, I couldn't get served at restaurants unless I had a white person accompanying me. I ate lunch at the Chinese restaurant by the bridge almost every day because that was the only restaurant that would serve me when I was alone. Then they built a Boston Pizza (around 2013 I think, maybe earlier), and the manager was a cool guy. That was the only bar I would go to, since I got good service since the help would see me talking to the manager all the time.

I'm sure it's better though with the influx of immigrants, especially East Indians (7.5% now, vs 0% back in 2000). They even have an Indian restaurant in town now. The smaller towns with no immigrants are still ass backwards. I'm too old for that BS, so I just refuse to go up there anymore.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Arctic Circle? There are no white people living up there
Yes, I see my reply above. Thompson was about half and half until the influx of South Asians. Now about 44% each.

Edit: And it should be obvious which race owns all the stores and restaurants in town

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad