Kraken News

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Has there been any news about when the games schedule will be released? And individual ticket prices?

Really want to see a game in the first season, and will need to plan flights, hotels and the rest.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Has there been any news about when the games schedule will be released? And individual ticket prices?

Really want to see a game in the first season, and will need to plan flights, hotels and the rest.
I'm in same boat from what I know is that no schedule been set up yet. If remember correctly from past seasons they release it before pre season. Though past 2 seasons schedule been messed up due to covid. So who knows maybe they will get back to a regular start time frame but I doubt it since playoffs not over yet. Usually, the finals be over about month ago.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The NHL doesn't release the schedule until after the draft IIRC

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
McFarland, Leach join Kraken Coaching Staff.

McFarland will work with the forwards while Leach is responsible for defense.
Not really excited about any of these coaching selections. I think the Wings did a better job by getting Alex Tanguay. Smart player, understands both special teams, TV commentator, 2 years of AHL assistant experience.

This team has low event hockey written all over it so far. We'll see what happens in the expansion draft.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Not really excited about any of these coaching selections. I think the Wings did a better job by getting Alex Tanguay. Smart player, understands both special teams, TV commentator, 2 years of AHL assistant experience.

This team has low event hockey written all over it so far. We'll see what happens in the expansion draft.

Not sure I know what you mean by 'low event hockey'? Boring hockey?

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Coaching decisions are rarely sexy ones. Personally, I am excited about Hakstol because he actually has something to prove. To show that he has learnt from previous mistakes and got better. I am pretty sure that was foremost on his mind while selecting his assistant/staff coaches.

I totally get his underwhelming stint as a 1st time NHL coach. But given all that I have read about his hard work, effort and preparation, I am hopeful for a better coach.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Play not to lose. Low event = low scoring chances = low scoring (for both teams)

Trotz is the master of low event hockey. A team can be successful playing that way, but yes.... boring hockey.

That is what I thought. Can't argue with Trotz's success especially setting his teams up for the playoffs. All I am looking for to begin for the Kraken is setting up for success over long-term. I would hate for them to try to go big out of the gate by sacrificing future. I don't expect GMRF to be do that so I am optimistic.

Coaching hires seem very conservative which is not a terrible thing. Big hires would bring higher expectations.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I honestly don't think Tanguay will be a good coach, he was a very selfish player who quit on at least two teams he played on. He really doesn't have a personality for coaching IMO

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I honestly don't think Tanguay will be a good coach, he was a very selfish player who quit on at least two teams he played on. He really doesn't have a personality for coaching IMO
What's he going to do? Hog the puck on the bench? Really odd criticism for a player with 580 assists.

He had a lot of injuries through his career, and a conflict with Keenan who liked to play stupid ass mind games with his players. There's a reason why Mike never lasted long with any team. From Wiki:

"Stops in St. Louis and Vancouver saw conflict with team stars; both Brett Hull[4] and Trevor Linden[9] had major personality conflicts with Keenan. In one instance while the Blues were playing the Buffalo Sabres at The Aud, Dale Hawerchuk's dying grandmother, who lived in nearby Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada, came to see him play one last time while she was alive. Keenan deliberately benched Hawerchuk for the game, and an unhappy captain Brett Hull screamed at Keenan, who then responded by stripping Hull's captaincy."

As for Alex, I see a lot of similarities with Adam Oates. Oates was known to be a self centered guy as well, and he did really well as an offensive assistant coach. He was too much of a micromanager to succeed as head coach, thought he could coach goalies and wound up messing Holtby up. I expect Tanguay to do well as an assistant, but don't see him as a head coach.

Also, he's known as a very player friendly coach in Iowa. Exact opposite of Keenan, so maybe he learned something there.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's he going to do? Hog the puck on the bench? Really odd criticism for a player with 580 assists.

He had a lot of injuries through his career, and a conflict with Keenan who liked to play stupid ass mind games with his players. There's a reason why Mike never lasted long with any team. From Wiki:

"Stops in St. Louis and Vancouver saw conflict with team stars; both Brett Hull[4] and Trevor Linden[9] had major personality conflicts with Keenan. In one instance while the Blues were playing the Buffalo Sabres at The Aud, Dale Hawerchuk's dying grandmother, who lived in nearby Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada, came to see him play one last time while she was alive. Keenan deliberately benched Hawerchuk for the game, and an unhappy captain Brett Hull screamed at Keenan, who then responded by stripping Hull's captaincy."

As for Alex, I see a lot of similarities with Adam Oates. Oates was known to be a self centered guy as well, and he did really well as an offensive assistant coach. He was too much of a micromanager to succeed as head coach, thought he could coach goalies and wound up messing Holtby up. I expect Tanguay to do well as an assistant, but don't see him as a head coach.

Also, he's known as a very player friendly coach in Iowa. Exact opposite of Keenan, so maybe he learned something there.
When I called him selfish, it was in regards to his personality and quitting on teams he played for; nothing to do with his on-ice play. Coaches need to put the team first, I don't see that in his personality

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When I called him selfish, it was in regards to his personality and quitting on teams he played for; nothing to do with his on-ice play. Coaches need to put the team first, I don't see that in his personality
You obviously didn't read the Wiki excerpt on Keenan. Babcock, Hitchcock, Torts, Bowman and all of the other successful coaches were extremely selfish guys, so I think your take on what it takes to be an NHL coach is wrong anyways.

Taguay had a career 18.6 SH%, and if there's anything the Wings need help on is PP and shooting in general. It's the right fit, and considering Yzerman played against Tanguay, I'll trust his judgement over yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad