Kraken News

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I just accidentally found out via twitter that the GM and Head Coach of the KC Mavericks was a friend of mine in middle school who moved away to play juniors. I'd always wondered what happened to the dude then magically in my twitter feed is Tad O'had with Sporting Kansas City coach Peter Vermes. What a weird day.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I just accidentally found out via twitter that the GM and Head Coach of the KC Mavericks was a friend of mine in middle school who moved away to play juniors. I'd always wondered what happened to the dude then magically in my twitter feed is Tad O'had with Sporting Kansas City coach Peter Vermes. What a weird day.
That’s cool! I interacted with Hak several times when he was at UND, including a very quick, icy interview for a midseason third goalie walk-on spot. I didn’t get the spot. But Hak’s a legend in Grand Forks, so I’m biased in cheering for him more than anyone else on the team.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Definitely a fan of the DW Jr. add. He has a done a pretty good job with the Sharks over the last few drafts.

While he was definitely better than Burke, (which really isn't saying much), his overall record as director was mediocre imo.

I don't know if I like this hire as much as you. The current scouting team seemed to be doing a really good job, but maybe they were over-worked?

If Wilson's influence isn't any larger than the other scouts, then I think it could work out. But adding more cooks to an already productive kitchen sometimes hurts the overall product.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
While he was definitely better than Burke, (which really isn't saying much), his overall record as director was mediocre imo.

I don't know if I like this hire as much as you. The current scouting team seemed to be doing a really good job, but maybe they were over-worked?

If Wilson's influence isn't any larger than the other scouts, then I think it could work out. But adding more cooks to an already productive kitchen sometimes hurts the overall product.

Perhaps they have a hole in their scouting map. It sort of feels like it to be honest. So many picks and signings from the same areas.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

idk if too many scouts is a potential problem. There's lots of ground to cover these days. What you need these days is a strong analytics department as well. Scouting has evolved.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what the powerplay units will look like, with positions?

-------------------- Beniers
Bjorkstrand - McCann - Burakovsky
-----‐-‐------------- Dunn

?

I'm a stickler for having the halfwall guys in one-timer position, so that makes Bjorkstrand the clear best option for the left halfwall, he's the only RH one-timer threat. Dunn seems like the obvious best pointman. But then you have several good options with LH shooters. A lot of guys can rip it from the right halfwall and I don't know them well enough to say who would be best there, and who could do well from the bumper and net positions.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think Beniers probably be on both 1st or 2nd pp for most the season my guess. Bjorkstrand seems to be guaranteed pp time. McCann as well along with Gourde, and Dunn. Think Burakovsky/Eberle,Wennberg,Schwartz,Larsson round it out on pp. Extras in case of injuries/fatigue be Donskoi/Schultz. As for Wright think he might get 9 games then set back. He might get a little bit of pp time in those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Beniers probably be on both 1st or 2nd pp for most the season my guess. Bjorkstrand seems to be guaranteed pp time. McCann as well along with Gourde, and Dunn. Think Burakovsky/Eberle,Wennberg,Schwartz,Larsson round it out on pp. Extras in case of injuries/fatigue be Donskoi/Schultz. As for Wright think he might get 9 games then set back. He might get a little bit of pp time in those games.

Wright only gets send back if he clearly shows he's not ready aka basically forgets how to play You don't send someone back just for the sake of doing so when there is nothing more he needs to do or learn.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Mascot soon and a massive hint that the Sonics are coming back?

Well, Det looks like he could still go even at age 59.

And yeah, I think the Sonics will be back at some point even though I don't really buy the talk about it(expansion) being announced during that Clippers preseason game.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Well, Det looks like he could still go even at age 59.

And yeah, I think the Sonics will be back at some point even though I don't really buy the talk about it(expansion) being announced during that Clippers preseason game.
Will be interesting to see. I don't think they would have mentioned the Sonics otherwise. Kraken having it's own mascot is big enough news. I'm pretty sure Kraken ownership also said they would have first dibs on owning an NBA team (probably along with someone with deep pockets like Bezos) so there could be some of that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Will be interesting to see. I don't think they would have mentioned the Sonics otherwise. Kraken having it's own mascot is big enough news. I'm pretty sure Kraken ownership also said they would have first dibs on owning an NBA team (probably along with someone with deep pockets like Bezos) so there could be some of that.

Well, Bonderman's still a minority owner of the Boston Celtics and they've made it clear they'd intend to own(and bring in) an NBA team while maybe including other partners in the ownership group to do so.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The mascot reveal:

Ok they went hard towards "soft mammal on two legs" which will entertain the kids and not scare them. And to be fair, that is mostly what mascots are for, for the kids. For myself I would want something weird and scary.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Ok they went hard towards "soft mammal on two legs" which will entertain the kids and not scare them. And to be fair, that is mostly what mascots are for, for the kids. For myself I would want something weird and scary.

I agree. It’s a win for the kids. Definitely will work for them. Doesn’t look like it’ll capture adults too, like Gritty and Squatch, but that’s perfectly fine. It means they did well, but didn’t change the game. Safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad