Post-Game Talk: Kraken def. Canucks - 5-3 (Rathbone, Boeser, Hoglander)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’ve noticed that too. It’s rare that Green singles a young guy out for praise so consistently. There’s definitely something there but it looks like he could be a couple of years away. I really like these type of swing for the fence picks once you’re outside the first round.
He definitely needs to polish his game..I was impressed how strong he was for an 18 year old, in board battles with men...He wasnt giving an inch....He's 203 lbs right now, and he's going to be playing against kids in the Q..?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This confidence that we'll just 'outscore our problems' seems a bit misplaced given that we were the 24th-ranked team in the NHL offensively last year.

We've added Garland and we'll be better ... but this isn't some sort of offensive juggernaut.

A year ago they finished 9th. I think when it comes to offensive talent the top 9 it ranks in the top half of the league.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Id be willing to bet they finish top ten in offense provided average or better health.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A year ago they finished 9th. I think when it comes to offensive talent the top 9 it ranks in the top half of the league.

I think they could finish in the 8th-12th range if things go right and people stay healthy. And that's not bad. But that's not going to outscore our defensive issues, either.

People talk like we have this stacked top-9 but it contains 3 guys in Pearson/Dickenson/Podkolzin who are probably unlikely to top 30 points.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think they could finish in the 8th-12th range if things go right and people stay healthy. And that's not bad. But that's not going to outscore our defensive issues, either.

People talk like we have this stacked top-9 but it contains 3 guys in Pearson/Dickenson/Podkolzin who are probably unlikely to top 30 points.

That was Travis Green hockey in 19-20. Great goaltending + outscore the other team. It's not an ideal formula for success but it could get the team into the playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was Travis Green hockey in 19-20. Great goaltending + outscore the other team. It's not an ideal formula for success but it could get the team into the playoffs.

I don't think it's impossible they make the playoffs. But a lot of things would have to go right.

And that 19-20 formula had stopped working when the team was saved by COVID. And that team had Edler and Tanev munching high-leverage matchups.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don't think it's impossible they make the playoffs. But a lot of things would have to go right.

And that 19-20 formula had stopped working when the team was saved by COVID. And that team had Edler and Tanev munching high-leverage matchups.

Let me repeat it for the millionth time.

6 wins in the final 17 games before the stoppage. Getting thoroughly dominated in that stretch where the team looked like a total joke. One example was when they blew a 3-1 lead against CBJ with under 5 minutes left in regulation and somehow lost 4-3.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i honestly cannot see us going anywhere unless we have adjusted our defensive system to provide a more structured breakout and better support. if we keep playing whatever that was last year, green and benning will both be gone before christmas. it's not even entertaining.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

6 wins in the final 17 games before the stoppage. Getting thoroughly dominated in that stretch where the team looked like a total joke. One example was when they blew a 3-1 lead against CBJ with under 5 minutes left in regulation and somehow lost 4-3.

It was brutal. 4 wins in 17 in regulation. We had this unsustainable formula of having some talented young players score on the PP and then crossing our fingers that our goalies could channel 1998 Dominik Hasek as we were caved in at ES. And eventually we turned back into a pumpkin and were crashing out of the playoffs when COVID saved us.

Reactions: BenningHurtsMySoul

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It all depends on what style the team plays. If they play a way that is free flowing and focused on attack. It can work.

Look at the Florida Panthers defense. After Ekblad went down, they were playing Yandle, Forsling, Montour, Stralman(this is the old stralman), Gudas, Weegar. None of them I would say are very good defensively. Nutivaara they added who is solid.

Its not like the canucks were good defensively in the last few years. We were bot 5 all these years. Only really good defender we had was Tanev, and we let him go.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i honestly cannot see us going anywhere unless we have adjusted our defensive system to provide a more structured breakout and better support. if we keep playing whatever that was last year, green and benning will both be gone before christmas. it's not even entertaining.

Ya it'll be interesting. I'm not even sure if the Canucks have made significant adjustments to the system. Green has talked about playing with better defensive structure since the play-in. Challenging players and themselves to get better only goes so far.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

After a 62 games in the 2019-20 season , the Canucks were 34-22-6,...... but you want to encapsulate the entire season into the last 7 games (of which they won 2)..?....No agenda there..?

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Looks like the Canucks are in mid season form already :laugh: up 2-0, and then lose 5-3 typical Canucks game under Green.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's weird. I think highly of Stecher as well but somehow coaches don't like him. He was even scratched in Detroit last season.

I think most NHL coaches still operate in the bias/mindset that a small defenseman must be offensive. A small defenseman simply can't be a defensive defenseman, even if that is what they're actually good at.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It was brutal. 4 wins in 17 in regulation. We had this unsustainable formula of having some talented young players score on the PP and then crossing our fingers that our goalies could channel 1998 Dominik Hasek as we were caved in at ES. And eventually we turned back into a pumpkin and were crashing out of the playoffs when COVID saved us.
You saw how they came storming out in the play in play off rounds. They were obviously about to break out of that slump in a big way. That’s the up and down cycle of the season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think most NHL coaches still operate in the bias/mindset that a small defenseman must be offensive. A small defenseman simply can't be a defensive defenseman, even if that is what they're actually good at.

Absolutely.

Most NHL coaches played in the NHL during the 1990s and their choices are still based on the conventional wisdom of the time even though more information in ensuing years has proven it wrong.

The textbook defensive defender is a Jeff Beukeboom. Little defenders are for playing the PP and getting soft minutes on the 3rd pairing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You saw how they came storming out in the play in play off rounds. They were obviously about to break out of that slump in a big way. That’s the up and down cycle of the season.

What?

They played pretty well against a pretty mediocre Minnesota team. Then they got absolutely shitkicked in the two ensuing rounds and won by the same formula they were winning with in the regular season.

They were circling the drain when COVID hit with both Tanev and Markstrom out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Oh I agree. Remember Mike Weaver? We didn't think much of him when the Canucks let him go.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What? You would take Stecher over Rathbone?

It's obvious I meant Quinn Hughes.

I would take Rathbone over Stecher long-term. But for right now, one guy is a competent NHLer and the other is a rookie still working on the defensive details.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad