GDT: Kraken @ Avsen @ Seven

You have to choose two

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed. I really did appreciate that from both of 'em. I'm confident they'll fix those mistakes and get back on the right path sooner than later.

Hopefully. I think the main reason it's a good approach is that without Gabe and EJ, they're having a tougher time snapping out of this.

They're going to have to build their way out of this step by step, and despite the tough loss, this was a step in the right direction. And when they do build their way out, they'll be a different team than they have been in the past, because it's a different group.

That's why Jared and Cale want to focus on how they worked, rather than solely on their mistakes. They know this is going to be a process.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully. I think the main reason it's a good approach is that without Gabe and EJ, they're having a tougher time snapping out of this.

They're going to have to build their way out of this step by step, and despite the tough loss, this was a step in the right direction. And when they do build their way out, they'll be a different team than they have been in the past, because it's a different group.

That's why Jared and Cale want to focus on how they worked, rather than solely on their mistakes. They know this is going to be a process.

Have you considered that the top guys have looked at the “help” that was brought in and are a little dispirited that this year will be the same as last year?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm not mad we gave up late goal on a bad play that shit happens. That wasn't what cost us. Not playing the first half of the game is what cost us.

I'm sick and tired of watching this team give half assed efforts, especially to start games. I can't recall a game this year that we came out hard and put the other team behind the 8 ball early and made them chase us.

How many times have we scored the first goal this year? Like 3 maybe 4 times out of 12 games? We have played horrid in most 1st periods this season.

One again this team has far too many passengers every game, who do very little. The inconsistency is off the charts. Last game 3rd line was awesome, hitting, scoring etc. Tonight non existent didn't notice them really at all until Colton lost his man at the end.

Goalies are horseshit right now, can't give up 3+ every f***ing night.

Then we can talk our big 3, I'm going to put this on them. 96 is playing ok, 29 is playing better the last couple, 8 has been dog shit. And they never play well say the same time. Last night 29 was awesome, 96 and 8 were invisible.

These 3 guys make north of 30M combined, there are no excuses to play bad. They should be driving play every night with the occasional off game. Not be off most nights and throw in a game of dominance here and there. These 3 guys need to be a factor every night. Simply put, they need to be better and lead by example.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Really got the feeling Kraken about to become our Kryptonite
I think this is overblown. Most of this sentiment probably stems from our playoffs last year, but we were absolutely decimated by injuries last year. We've played the Kraken 15 times, with a record of 7-8. And 7 of those games (where we lost 4 of the total 8) were that last playoffs series. I don't think they are our kryptonite, I think they play a good style of hockey that is hard to play against, but we are capable of winning every night against them, as are they, it's a pretty even matchup.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
I think this is overblown. Most of this sentiment probably stems from our playoffs last year, but we were absolutely decimated by injuries last year. We've played the Kraken 15 times, with a record of 7-8. And 7 of those games (where we lost 4 of the total 8) were that last playoffs series. I don't think they are our kryptonite, I think they play a good style of hockey that is hard to play against, but we are capable of winning every night against them, as are they, it's a pretty even matchup.
Could be, but i'm not feeling confident playing them. I dont know why, but it doesnt feel right. I agree with you the boys should be able to beat them though

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Effort has been better. Can see them starting to simplify the game in the o-zone a bit more.
PP1 - entries are predictable as all get out and it is time to move Nuke back up there even though neither RyJo / Lehk have been bad.
Composure when being tested is a problem. This team scrambles more than it used to.
I'm pro Drouin over Tatar, but neither should replace Tufte again.

Not worried, but when LOC is your most consistent player, there is definitely work that needs done.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Have you considered that the top guys have looked at the “help” that was brought in and are a little dispirited that this year will be the same as last year?
If this is the case (and I really don't think it is), the window is absolutely closed. This team is going to deal with depth issues for the rest of the tenure of the core.

Here is an interesting stat... Avs are 2nd (behind Edmonton) in xGF% 5v5. Sounds great right?! If you look at situations where the game is tied, they fall all the way down to 20th. It could be a blip, could mean nothing... but is is a very odd thing. This team really struggles to start games and when games are tied.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
2-4 last 6 after going 6-0 to start the season. I’m pretty sure this team has had bad stretches like 2-4 before even in their cup run season

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs lose to Kraken by one goal all the time. There was like 30 seconds left in this one to go to OT. One thing Bednar needs to do when they play the Kraken is make the team play more patient game. Seattle plays that defensive game and waits for you to make mistakes then capitalize. Just do the same to them. Avs usually try to open up and win high scoring games. That might work against majority of the teams but not against this Seattle team. Would be nice to score the first goal against them for a change

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t at all believe in Seattle’s roster… personally I think Hakstol has taken Bednar’s lunch money in these head-to-head matchups.
It is stylistic and personnel. Seattle is a faster team than the Avs, plays with more pressure, and will hit defensemen any time they get a chance. Avs wilt a bit when pushed on physically and they don't adjust well to teams being faster than them. Seattle may not have a top end roster, but they are deep and they all can play the heavy pressure style.

Also Gourde in particular is a thorn in the Avs side. He can matchup very well with the Avs top guys and his style of play bothers the Avs quite a bit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here is an interesting stat... Avs are 2nd (behind Edmonton) in xGF% 5v5. Sounds great right?! If you look at situations where the game is tied, they fall all the way down to 20th. It could be a blip, could mean nothing... but is is a very odd thing. This team really struggles to start games and when games are tied.
And that’s precisely why I feel there’s a weird malaise plaguing this roster. These guys (other than the third line) just don’t seem fired up at all. Even MacKinnon, one of the most bombastic personalities I’ve ever seen in sports, is coming off a little worn down. And that’s considering that he actually played well last night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And that’s precisely why I feel there’s a weird malaise plaguing this roster. These guys (other than the third line) just don’t seem fired up at all. Even MacKinnon, one of the most bombastic personalities I’ve ever seen in sports, is coming off a little worn down. And that’s considering that he actually played well last night.
I don't know if it is that, but I don't really have an answer as to what it is.

My pet theory is when the Avs are down, especially more than 1, the top guys find that extra gear (makes you wonder why they don't have it tied, but beyond the point). When they get up, especially more than 1, they capitalize on mistakes about as good as any team out there.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It is stylistic and personnel. Seattle is a faster team than the Avs, plays with more pressure, and will hit defensemen any time they get a chance. Avs wilt a bit when pushed on physically and they don't adjust well to teams being faster than them. Seattle may not have a top end roster, but they are deep and they all can play the heavy pressure style.

Also Gourde in particular is a thorn in the Avs side. He can matchup very well with the Avs top guys and his style of play bothers the Avs quite a bit.
Seattle is not a faster team than the Avs, they just capitalize on that one more mistake the Avs make and as I mentioned before, they beat the Avs by just one goal all the time. Avs just need to stay more patient and don’t make that one extra mistake. Gotta have little bit more attention to details.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Seattle is not a faster team than the Avs, they just capitalize on that one more mistake the Avs make and as I mentioned before, they beat the Avs by just one goal all the time. Avs just need to stay more patient and don’t make that one extra mistake. Gotta have little bit more attention to details.
Seattle clearly plays faster than the Avs.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I'm not bummed about the game. I thought they showed grit again, which is good going forward in a season long road. I'm bummed about Lehky. He's a legit good guy. But, hope he heals back and this is an opportunity for Tufte to cement himself up in the big league.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
No I mentioned rested because we have no excuse. At home, rested, healthy, and we are at the same level than the Kraken. My point was that we are an average team, like the Kraken.
Agree on the "no excuse" point, I just didn't understand your statement on first instance. We good.

Avs didn't play well overall and that includes Prostate. He was pedestrian on goals #1 and #3.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol Seattle doesn't have our number, and Hakstol doesn't have Bednar's number. It's not like we didn't beat them 4-1 a few weeks ago or anything.

We are simply playing bad inconsistent hockey right now. It doesn't matter what team we are playing we just aren't playing to our capability.

Right now I see the issue is they just don't bring the effort every time they hit ice. One night is there the next they look like they are going through the motions. And if you play that way, you'll get the results we are seeing win one, lose one. It doesn't really matter the opponent.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Seattle clearly plays faster than the Avs.
I’d say more smarter not faster. Someone mentioned Bednar getting out coached against Seattle. I agree more with that than Kraken being a faster or better team because I don’t think they are. Again, Avs just need more patience against that team. Wait and let them make that one more mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad