Kraken 2024 draft

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, unless we win the lottery there'll be question marks with all those kids.
And if we draft one of those defenseman we're also guaranteed to be at least two years away from that kid making any kind of impact on the Kraken.

Anyways, let's just go BPA and swing for the fences.

BTw: Scouching has a new video out. It's about if you should be spooked about those prospects and it includes Eiserman and Parekh.

What an incredible contrast with St. Laurent's take on Eiserman. These guys think he is a top six pick and make a good case for his recent improvement, even referring to his drop in some rankings as an "overcorrection." They do note his flaws which are significant, but note that all six players likely to be in the middle of the draft have significant flaws, too. Quite a contrast with St Laurent to say the least.

After watching a lot more video, I'm taking Catton off my "do not want" list. We need guys with elite skill badly, and, man, this guy has some crazy offensive skills and is slippery as an eel. Plus, he would be a blast to watch night in and night out. He looks like he has the kind of body that could add a little weight, so size likely will not be the deal breaker that I thought it was.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, unless we win the lottery there'll be question marks with all those kids.
And if we draft one of those defenseman we're also guaranteed to be at least two years away from that kid making any kind of impact on the Kraken.

Anyways, let's just go BPA and swing for the fences.

BTw: Scouching has a new video out. It's about if you should be spooked about those prospects and it includes Eiserman and Parekh.

That take on Parekh is interesting. There is one thing about not being good in their own zone, but the fact that he turns over the puck so much is a concern.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We could finish as low as 8th pick, but 9th is a pretty sweet spot. The fly in the ointment is I would prefer Calgary not picking ahead of us in case Iginla is available (but he won't be, so....).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We could finish as low as 8th pick, but 9th is a pretty sweet spot. The fly in the ointment is I would prefer Calgary not picking ahead of us in case Iginla is available (but he won't be, so....).
Do you think Iginla will go before pick #8? I can see it happening, but I see us having other quality options in that case.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Do you think Iginla will go before pick #8? I can see it happening, but I see us having other quality options in that case.
Actually, I'm quite happy with #9 if we don't get #8. As for Iginla, yeah, I think he goes maybe top six or seven as I think his stock is on the rise. And I bellieve that we will have tons of quality options at #9. At this stage in my research, I can see the first eight in the draft going something like this:

Calebrini
Silayev
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla
Dickinson or Buium

Leaving us Dickinson or Buium, Helenius, and Yakemchuk to choose among as worse case scenarios. I'd be happy with any of those three. And if some GM takes a fancy early in the draft to Parekh and/or Eiserman that frees up one or two more high-end prospects in which case we get even more to choose from.

• Love
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's going to be an interesting draft for sure. I'm really hoping we decide to do some deals. Seriously.
What are you leaning towards? Making deals to get more picks/prospects and drafting the picks? Or using that newly acquired draft capital to make deals to get a player/prospect who improves the roster right away? Something else?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
What are you leaning towards? Making deals to get more picks/prospects and drafting the picks? Or using that newly acquired draft capital to make deals to get a player/prospect who improves the roster right away? Something else?

Probably the former, because I don't think we're going to end up able to pull of the amount of draft capital needed to get the level of player needed to improve the team right away. I think they need to try and move on from players who aren't in the long term plans sooner than later, pick up some pieces as short term solutions at a better value leaving money available when we can actually pull off the right move. If that makes sense. They need to play chess.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Probably the former, because I don't think we're going to end up able to pull of the amount of draft capital needed to get the level of player needed to improve the team right away. I think they need to try and move on from players who aren't in the long term plans sooner than later, pick up some pieces as short term solutions at a better value leaving money available when we can actually pull off the right move. If that makes sense. They need to play chess.
That is where I am at too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pronman's latest list is out.

As I was saying, Pronman these days tries to copy NHL scouts, and he talks to a lot of them. It's closer to a well-informed mock draft than it is a personal list.

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov
3. Yakemchuk

4. Buium
5. Silayev
6. Catton

7. Parekh
8. Demidov
9. Dickinson
10. Helenius

11. Lindstrom
12. Sennecke
13. Jiricek
14. Eiserman
15. Iginla

16. Chernyshov
17. Greentree
18. Brandsegg-Nygard
19. Surin

I'm not surprised by Yakemchuk and Buium moving up. I am surprised by Demidov and Iginla being so low. This would suggest we have a legitimate shot at Demidov, especially with constant Russia concerns.

You can watch game one of the MHL finals between Demidov and Surin's teams here:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the record, I think Pronman is wrong about Demidov. His comp for him is Jeff Skinner which is a good clue about why Pronman has Demidov low in his rankings.

But Demidov is a tough player, extremely strong on his edges. He will be the one dictating physically. He's very long and rangy for a 5'11 player too, I don't think of him in the small player category.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lower than I would have guessed for Iginla, and, unfortunately way higher than I would have wanted for Yakemchuk.

I think it speaks to the volatility of this draft where so many different players could go anywhere from 3 to 10 and few would be surprised.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
At least Demidov's only under contract for one more year, compared to the agony of waiting for Michkov that's not so bad.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Lower than I would have guessed for Iginla, and, unfortunately way higher than I would have wanted for Yakemchuk.

I think it speaks to the volatility of this draft where so many different players could go anywhere from 3 to 10 and few would be surprised.
Volatile is the correct word, ha ha.

In most drafts, you atleast have some idea of who could go in the top-5. Maybe not the order, but the prospects. In this draft, I don't think most people know who goes after Celebrini in the top-5 and in what order.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good news for us. Calgary is currently hammering the Sharks 5-0 midway through the second period.

It's official; we pick 8th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Good news for us. Calgary is currently hammering the Sharks 5-0 midway through the second period.

Yeah, the Kraken, Flames and Sharks all finish with 81 points but I guess teams are being punished for winning more games in regulation when it comes to the lottery. :laugh:

Now let's hope we don't move down more than one spot during the draft lottery.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel fortunate that we're in the 8th spot, could easily be a few spots later.

8th or 9th would both be great spots given the distribution of talent in this draft.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't want it, but I don't fear the 10th spot. The second tier of prospects is at least ten players deep, more if you include the ultra high risk pair. We are going to get a very good prospect.

wraparound

May 17, 2014

More like we have the 8th best odds of winning the draft lottery. There is still an outside chance we drop to the 10th overall pick.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
More like we have the 8th best odds of winning the draft lottery. There is still an outside chance we drop to the 10th overall pick.
I should have written "before the lottery draw." Didn't think it was necessary but it appears it was.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I watched a few of Catton's highlights over the week and he could definitely be something special. I love his passing and I think he could be an elite playmaker in the NHL. Something this team needs quite a bit.

My concern with him is around his size. Not sure if he would be considered a better prospect than Firkus but he does look to be of a very similar height and build.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched a few of Catton's highlights over the week and he could definitely be something special. I love his passing and I think he could be an elite playmaker in the NHL. Something this team needs quite a bit.

My concern with him is around his size. Not sure if he would be considered a better prospect than Firkus but he does look to be of a very similar height and build.

I think he's a bigger talent than Firkus, would be a higher rated prospect. But if anything he looks more frail than Firkus, which is a little bit scary. I'm not sure if the hip injury was a cause or consequence of that frailty, kind of an important question!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Catton would be a very interesting guy thanks to his playmaking ability.
The Kraken, so far, don't really have a guy with this kind of offensive talent.

The draft will be interesting, especially if we don't move down from #8.

Looking at more draft information.
I'm not sure if it has been posted before but here's a top 100 list for April by the Hockey Writers.

Also, here's their latest prospect chat from two days ago.

BTW: I know a high end defensive prospect would be nice but man if Cayden Lindstrom would fall to us....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad