Kraken 2024 draft

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have a look at tankathon's mock draft to see our current draft lottery position and see some of the prospects in our range.

As of today, in mid-March, it's too early to guess where the Kraken will pick. There are seven teams under .500 and the Kraken are one of eight teams between .500 and .550 right now.

But some interesting prospects that might be available in our range:

Tij Iginla, W. He's pacing 50 goals in the WHL, a skilled handler with a good shot, who can also drive the net hard and occasionally make folks think he might be like his dad.

Zeev Buium, LD. He's already breaking the NCAA records for scoring from a draft eligible D-man. And he is smart and strong defensively too. His tools don't look elite but they add up to something special, and I don't see anything missing in his game.

Zayne Parekh, RD. Parekh is breaking records in the OHL with his scoring. Incredible shot. Very elusive. His defensive game is, I would say, non-existent at this point.

Carter Yakemchuk, RD. He's 6'3 and nasty. Also scores a lot, fantastic shot and dazzling puckhandling around the net. I see a great player in both ends but some have questioned his skating and defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Kraken don't have one of the top prospect pools, but with Beniers and Wright we are in an enviable position where we won't be reaching for centers any time soon.

I haven't seen Cayden Lindstrom yet, but he's a 6'5 forward who might just be a unicorn who can be a power forward and do everything. Obviously we could use that.

I have watched a bit of Eiserman and he's kind of a one dimensional finisher type. Doesn't drive play or make plays at an elite level. I think he can make a McCann type impact in the NHL and pot 40, his shot is that good. But I don't know if he helps that much.

On the opposite side of that, Demidov can dangle all day with the puck but has a muffin shot. We need puck carriers but I doubt if he's top 3 caliber.

Adam Jiricek might be a little underrated if we're picking closer to 10 and he's still available. He isn't scoring in the Czech league yet but there have been a lot of guys offensively pop once they get out of that league - his brother David, Svozil, and Jiri Kulich. Adam is an elite skater, I can see him being the type to really control the game and tilt the ice. But his shot isn't very good.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't think we'll be drafting in the top 5, unless we somehow move up in the lottery.
Right now we're 7th from bottom but I think we'll win enough(or other will los more) to end up in the 9 - 14 range, if we don't somehow have a run and still make the postseason.

I honestly don't have a single guy in mind(haven't really looked at prospects yet) but it seems that there will be some defensive prospects that should go in the top 15 next summer.
Artyom Levshunov seems interesting but there'll certainly be changes from now until draft night.

BTW: Reading some of Eiserman's prospect reports is a bit like reading the ones of Patrik Laine.
And I'm not so sure that's great.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think we'll be drafting in the top 5, unless we somehow move up in the lottery.
Right now we're 7th from bottom but I think we'll win enough(or other will los more) to end up in the 9 - 14 range, if we don't somehow have a run and still make the postseason.

We might still have a shot at Adam Jiricek in the 9-14 range.

Amazing Hlinka performance:

He's definitely my guy in that range, so far. I wonder what Kron thinks.

Speaking of Kron, his guy Sale has 12 pts in 14 games so far this year in the OHL. That's lower than I expected. Sale should be able to tear up a league like that.

Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Some key differences to point out - Laine has what I would call month to month inconsistency. He once scored 18 goals in a November a few years back! He's also scored zero in some months. At least in the last few years he's been a consistent player without the puck, backchecks very well, etc...

Eiserman has not to my knowledge had a terrible scoring drought. He has been a consistent goal scorer for the NTDP team. But he doesn't show up shift to shift. When the other club has the puck he's a non factor.

I'm just a bit skeptical of a guy that was projected as the only guy to challenge Celebrini and now is slipping towards the end of the top 10.

Overall I think a couple of the defensive prospects might be to interesting to pass up but if the Kraken stay outside the top ten(or so) I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

BTW: I've moved the discussion to the 2024 draft thread(which you created) so we can properly discuss this years prospects.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We might still have a shot at Adam Jiricek in the 9-14 range.

Amazing Hlinka performance:

He's definitely my guy in that range, so far. I wonder what Kron thinks.

Speaking of Kron, his guy Sale has 12 pts in 14 games so far this year in the OHL. That's lower than I expected. Sale should be able to tear up a league like that.

This did not age too well, as Jiricek is out for the year with a leg injury, and might not even go top 20.

I'd say if I have a favorite who might be there around pick #10, right now that would be LD Zeev Buium.

RD Carter Yakemchuk is also a lot of fun. A bit like Brent Burns.

So many great D this class.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@majormajor

It would be nice if you could add a couple of mock draft sites to your opening post.
You know sites like Tankathon, MyNHLdraft.com, Lines.com etc.
Would also nice to work on the title and at least include Kraken in it. Like 2024 Kraken Entry Draft....;)

Also, given that I don't see how the Kraken don't draft in the 12 - 15 range(easy schedule, team really loves those OTL points etc.) I've looked a bit.

A guy that is very often linked to us is RHD Zayne Parekh( @The Marquis this year seems to be the draft of fun names) and he seems interesting.

Though, of course it's very early in the process and any mock draft before the U-18 tournament in May/June will look quite outdated after that one given how much that tournament seems to influence GM's and scouts decisions on draft day.

BTW: Corey Pronman has released his prospect tear list on the Athletic(behind paywall).

Eiserman is actually in tier 4 with guys like Parekh or Buium.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor

It would be nice if you could add a couple of mock draft sites to your opening post.
You know sites like Tankathon, MyNHLdraft.com, Lines.com etc.
Would also nice to work on the title and at least include Kraken in it. Like 2024 Kraken Entry Draft....;)

Also, given that I don't see how the Kraken don't draft in the 12 - 15 range(easy schedule, team really loves those OTL points etc.) I've looked a bit.

A guy that is very often linked to us is RHD Zayne Parekh( @The Marquis this year seems to be the draft of fun names) and he seems interesting.

Though, of course it's very early in the process and any mock draft before the U-18 tournament in May/June will look quite outdated after that one given how much that tournament seems to influence GM's and scouts decisions on draft day.

BTW: Corey Pronman has released his prospect tear list on the Athletic(behind paywall).

Eiserman is actually in tier 4 with guys like Parekh or Buium.

Will do.

I've seen a few games of all of these guys so I'm starting to feel comfortable putting a list together. Right now

1. Macklin Celebrini, C

2. Zeev Buium, LD
3. Ivan Demidov, C
4. Carter Yakemchuk, RD
5. Cayden Lindstrom, C

6. Sam Dickinson, LD
7. Berkly Catton, C

I haven't liked Levshunov or Silayev but maybe by the end of the year I'll be more intrigued with them.

Obviously Buium and Yakemchuk are often ranked much lower, but on Pronman as well as Sportsnet's latest list, Yakemchuk was top 5. There is very little consistency in the 2-12 part of the rankings.

Parekh is an insane offensive talent but I wouldn't take him if Buium or Yakemchuk were still on the board. This is a fantastic year for drafting D-men.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tij Iginla, W. He's pacing 50 goals in the WHL, a skilled handler with a good shot, who can also drive the net hard and occasionally make folks think he might be like his dad.

Zeev Buium, LD. He's already breaking the NCAA records for scoring from a draft eligible D-man. And he is smart and strong defensively too. His tools don't look elite but they add up to something special, and I don't see anything missing in his game.

Zayne Parekh, RD. Parekh is breaking records in the OHL with his scoring. Incredible shot. Very elusive. His defensive game is, I would say, non-existent at this point.

Carter Yakemchuk, RD. He's 6'3 and nasty. Also scores a lot, fantastic shot and dazzling puckhandling around the net. I see a great player in both ends but some have questioned his skating and defense.

I just realized that the first three players I mentioned have the first names Tij, Zeev, and Zayne. And you just know that the fourth guy is just going to be called "Yak" in the NHL.

• Haha

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I feel very confident that the Kraken will pick in the top 12. I have a small amount of confidence they could get into the top 10 and a remote possibility they hit the top 8. I don't think they do any better than 8.

The 8-12 spot is a battle of suck between Seattle, Calgary, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Buffalo. I think New Jersey is genuinely trying right now. I think Buffalo is always trying, but it's Buffalo, so they could definitely suck down the stretch. Calgary and Pittsburgh I'm not sure. Right now the Kraken sit in the 11th spot by winning %.

If, as @majormajor says, 2-12 are a toss up, it sounds like the latter half of that may not be a bad place to be. Better than usual, at least. Good draft class to have a "sorta not good" season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I feel very confident that the Kraken will pick in the top 12. I have a small amount of confidence they could get into the top 10 and a remote possibility they hit the top 8. I don't think they do any better than 8.

The 8-12 spot is a battle of suck between Seattle, Calgary, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Buffalo. I think New Jersey is genuinely trying right now. I think Buffalo is always trying, but it's Buffalo, so they could definitely suck down the stretch. Calgary and Pittsburgh I'm not sure. Right now the Kraken sit in the 11th spot by winning %.

If, as @majormajor says, 2-12 are a toss up, it sounds like the latter half of that may not be a bad place to be. Better than usual, at least. Good draft class to have a "sorta not good" season.

They actually aren't.

There is a second tier behind Celibrini that includes about five or six guys(mostly defenders) that would be nice to have but probably will be unatainable unless we move up during the lottery.

Though, I'm curious to see how those rankings look like after the U-18 tournament.

Overall I do not expect the Kraken to be in the top ten(but rather the 12 - 15 range) given their effort during games and the fact that they have a pretty easy schedule.

But hey, maybe Ronnie starts going crazy and trades up. :joker: 'he has only ever traded up once during his career as a GM and that a 4th and 5th for a 3rd rounder....

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They actually aren't.

There is a second tier behind Celibrini that includes about five or six guys(mostly defenders) that would be nice to have but probably will be unatainable unless we move up during the lottery.

Though, I'm curious to see how those rankings look like after the U-18 tournament.

Overall I do not expect the Kraken to be in the top ten(but rather the 12 - 15 range) given their effort during games and the fact that they have a pretty easy schedule.

But hey, maybe Ronnie starts going crazy and trades up. :joker: 'he has only ever traded up once during his career as a GM and that a 4th and 5th for a 3rd rounder....

Toss up isn't what I would call it, but it does feel more wide open than most years.
Who are the five or six?

I almost agree with you that there is a 2-6 group but it depends what rankings you have in your sample. And of course the various playoffs and U-18s will shake things up. If Lindstrom doesn't return healthy then that would be a big shake up.

Pronman has become very good in the last few years at mimicking how NHL teams scout. It's a lot like a well informed mock draft. He talks to a lot of scouts, and polls them extensively leading up to the draft, a lot like the Mckenzie poll. So I'm going to use his list here to make my point because he predicts how it will go the best. For instance he called it early last year that Nate Danielson was going top 10, when no one had him ranked there.

Celebrini

Silayev (sometimes ranked closer to #10)
Dickinson (I've seen as low as 8)
Yakemchuk (my guy, but usually 10-13 ranked)
Levshunov (you could argue that he is almost always ranked top 5)

Catton (all over the place)
Demidov (often ranked 2 or 3)
Lindstrom (often ranked 2 or 3)

We might have a shot at a couple of these guys if we get to the 8th or 9th pick. Though if they're all gone and we take Buium instead, I would be the happiest.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah, I talked about Pronmans list which I posted before.

But like I've said there are going to be changes given how much scouts and GM's value the U-18 tournament in May/June for their final evaluations.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wanted to see how wide different scouting groups rank the prospects. This is the top-15 from Elite Prospects consolidated ranking.
EP Consolidated RankingPlayerHighest RankLowest Rank
1Macklin Celebrini11
2Ivan Demidov26
3Sam Dickinson28
4Artyom Levshunov320
5Cayden Lindstrom314
6Berkly Catton213
7Anton Silayev217
8Konsta Helenius413
9Zeev Buium420
10Zayne Parekh621
11Cole Eiserman216
12Michael Brandsegg-Nygard727
13Liam Greentree1021
14Tij Iginla1123
15Trevor Connelly1127

The two players after this were Yakemchuk and Jiricek, who are also highly rated by some scouting groups. I genuinely don't know how things pan out after Celebrini.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is Pronman explaining his rankings on the Athletic podcast:

Pronman has been the best in the last couple years in terms of the similarity of his rankings to how NHL teams rank them.

It looks increasingly like Cole Eiserman will fall closer to Kraken range, perhaps 10-13. Pronman mentions all the players ahead of him who have stepped up and improved their games, while Eiserman is stagnant. Granted he's stagnating as an elite goal scorer, but Pronman said "he doesn't drive the bus".

I've also heard elsewhere that some folks are banking on Boston University coach Jay Pandolfo being able to diversify Eiserman's game.

I can say personally from watching Eiserman that most shifts he's frustrating to watch. He's strong and he can make a good pass, but he only cares about being the triggerman. Maybe he's the next Brett Hull, but after watching him I have a hard time getting excited about the Kraken drafting him.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I don’t like not seeing Sane Parrot and Zeb Buick on there in Kraken range.

I don’t really like what I saw from eiserman in the admitted one video I saw of him. It was “just fine”. We have loads of that.

Much of me hates to admit wanting the Kraken to be in the 8-9 range.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think I've given up. There's many clubs like us just above .500. Ten teams between .507 and .551. And actually the Kraken are one of four teams with .507 win percentage. A single point swings us from 8th to 11th. So yes, losing helps.

But that doesn't count tonight, beating the Knights is always better, especially if it helps knock those cheaters out of the playoff picture.

Reactions: Kevinsane

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don’t like not seeing Sane Parrot and Zeb Buick on there in Kraken range.

I don’t really like what I saw from eiserman in the admitted one video I saw of him. It was “just fine”. We have loads of that.

I guess it just come downs to where the hope is. The hope is no longer in the rest of the season, but there is hope for the future. So, yeah, bring on those scouting reports.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I guess it just come downs to where the hope is. The hope is no longer in the rest of the season, but there is hope for the future. So, yeah, bring on those scouting reports.
There you go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad