Kraken 2024 draft

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get the concern around Parekh as well. I do think Pulkkinen would be quite a reach for us in the top-10. Based on all the projections I am seeing, he is at best a late 1st round pick or an early 2nd round pick.

You mean based on the draft rankings?

There are players every year that don't appear high on those rankings that end up going very high. Teams keep their interest hidden. And then rumors circulate closer to the draft that several teams want player x. I could be wrong about teams liking Pulkkinen that much but it doesn't become clearer until we get to Mckenzie's final list, or perhaps Pronman's final surveys of scouts.

Assuming we end up picking at 9, you really think someone grabs Iginla before then? The one team I can see being aggressive on him is Calgary, who are likely to pick right before us. Can you see any other team going for him before us?

It depends - Iginla was sensational in the opening round of the WHL playoffs, but his team has been entirely shut out through two games in the second round. He's a late bloomer and it depends heavily on what he's done lately. So maybe if he continues to not score in the playoffs, then he'll drop.

But it's definitely not just a Calgary thing, I bet there were a lot of clubs talking about maybe taking him in that #4-#8 range.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Here's my list (based on copious research and the hockey analytical ability of a Muscovy duck):

Out of reach

Celebrini
Demidov
Silayev
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Yaremchuk
Dickinson

Don't want

Eiserman
Catton
Connelly

Would be delighted with (alphabetical order)

Buium
Frij
Helenius
Iginla
Parekh

I wish Yaremchuk would fall to us because of his mean-streak. We have nobody that is regularly impolite enough to knock down opponents in our crease. It seems Yaremchuk would solve that problem. But his stock seems to be really rising.
I think Yakemchuk and Dickinson will be on the board when the Kraken are picking. Yakemchuk is amazing offensively, but his skating and defensive play are question marks. I think he gets picked high cause of his size/being right handed but I think there are better D prospects that will go ahead of him. Dickinson, on the other hand, has a high floor but there are other prospects that have shown more growth in their game than he has this season. He's pretty much just been a more polished version of what he was at the beginning of the season.

I don't expect the Kraken to pick up any Russian prospects based on what we've seen them pick in the last few drafts. Demidov should be going high so I don't anticipate him being there in the back 10, and Silayev is too boom/bust which paired with the Russian factor makes me think they won't pick him.

I really like Buium but I think his play during nationals elevated him to one of the top D in this class. I don't anticipate him or Levshunov being there when the Kraken are picking.

In my opinion, the most likely candidates I see being there when the Kraken pick are Iginla (if Calgary doesn't pick ahead of us. I think if the Flames are picking 5-10 he is arguably the BPA which just makes sense along with his family name), Catton, Parekh, Eiserman, and Dickinson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think Yakemchuk and Dickinson will be on the board when the Kraken are picking. Yakemchuk is amazing offensively, but his skating and defensive play are question marks. I think he gets picked high cause of his size/being right handed but I think there are better D prospects that will go ahead of him. Dickinson, on the other hand, has a high floor but there are other prospects that have shown more growth in their game than he has this season. He's pretty much just been a more polished version of what he was at the beginning of the season.

I don't expect the Kraken to pick up any Russian prospects based on what we've seen them pick in the last few drafts. Demidov should be going high so I don't anticipate him being there in the back 10, and Silayev is too boom/bust which paired with the Russian factor makes me think they won't pick him.

I really like Buium but I think his play during nationals elevated him to one of the top D in this class. I don't anticipate him or Levshunov being there when the Kraken are picking.

In my opinion, the most likely candidates I see being there when the Kraken pick are Iginla (if Calgary doesn't pick ahead of us. I think if the Flames are picking 5-10 he is arguably the BPA which just makes sense along with his family name), Catton, Parekh, Eiserman, and Dickinson.
Who is a good comparison for Eiserman in the NHL? I just mean stylistically. Laine?

Dickinson wouldn't be bad at 9 OA but his ceiling is definitely a question mark. I would prefer Catton over those two. And I would prefer Yakemchuk over Catton.

Reactions: majormajor

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Who is a good comparison for Eiserman in the NHL? I just mean stylistically. Laine?

Dickinson wouldn't be bad at 9 OA but his ceiling is definitely a question mark. I would prefer Catton over those two. And I would prefer Yakemchuk over Catton.
Maybe like a Laine yeah. Pretty much any pure sniper who cheats on defense and always defaults to using their shot in most situations.

Eiserman is a consistent goal scorer. He has the gift of scoring goals, but that's pretty much it. He has a shot that can beat goalies 1-on-1 from far out, he puts himself in positions to score easy goals (even if it means he has to cheat), and he is an expert at handling bad passes. His goal scoring tendencies are also translatable to the pro level.

But that's it. You are not getting him to make passes or to play D. His game is to just score goals and he does that well. In the back 10, there will be a team that won't be able to let that up and the Kraken need wingers and dmen so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Maybe like a Laine yeah. Pretty much any pure sniper who cheats on defense and always defaults to using their shot in most situations.

Eiserman is a consistent goal scorer. He has the gift of scoring goals, but that's pretty much it. He has a shot that can beat goalies 1-on-1 from far out, he puts himself in positions to score easy goals (even if it means he has to cheat), and he is an expert at handling bad passes. His goal scoring tendencies are also translatable to the pro level.

But that's it. You are not getting him to make passes or to play D. His game is to just score goals and he does that well. In the back 10, there will be a team that won't be able to let that up and the Kraken need wingers and dmen so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick him.
I mean, the way things are going, it looks increasingly likely that we are picking in the top 10. I just don't see Francis picking up a one-dimensional forward when picking that high. The risk with Sale was okay since it was in the 20s, but I can't see him picking Eiserman unless he kills it in the interviews.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I mean, the way things are going, it looks increasingly likely that we are picking in the top 10. I just don't see Francis picking up a one-dimensional forward when picking that high. The risk with Sale was okay since it was in the 20s, but I can't see him picking Eiserman unless he kills it in the interviews.

but also need to consider that he may be the BPA if still avaiable and other better options are taken by then.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
I get what you are saying and I agree but what if you think that one-dimensional player is going to be a consistent 40 goal scorer for your team? He won't go 2nd but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes anywhere between picks 5-10 because of that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That is also the order I have for those four Yakemchuk > Catton > Dickinson >> Eiserman

Laine hasn't played like that since he was in his early years in Winnipeg. Nowadays he's one of the best backcheckers, he doesn't shoot nearly enough, and he tries too hard to make plays for his teammates.

I'll throw out some other names for Eiserman - Mike Hoffmann, and Oliver Wahlstrom. Maybe James Van Riemsdyk. We don't need the draft to get guys like that. I'd take Jared McCann over all of them.

I was put off by that interview he did. When a guy like that insists he's already a good all around player, then you're going to have a hard time getting through to him. Let's not saddle our coaches with a guy like that.

That and the program team has also been pretty bad with him as a leader / top player.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Laine hasn't played like that since he was in his early years in Winnipeg. Nowadays he's one of the best backcheckers, he doesn't shoot nearly enough, and he tries too hard to make plays for his teammates.

I'll throw out some other names for Eiserman - Mike Hoffmann, and Oliver Wahlstrom. Maybe James Van Riemsdyk. We don't need the draft to get guys like that. I'd take Jared McCann over all of them.
I agree these are better comps

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Trying to watch as many scouting videos as I can. I came here to post that I would prefer Yakemchuk over Buium or Parekh and looks like you have the same idea. I don't know if Yakemchuk gets picked before those other two though. Which works good for us.

I pretty much agree with everyone on your "Don't want" list other than Catton. I think he could be a tremendous get. What are the reasons your are not sold on him? Size?

Your"Would be delighted with (alphabetical order)" is the same as me, outside of Parekh. I have no doubt of his offensive skills but despite his height he looks "small" to me. That does concern me a bit. I am getting higher and higher on Iginla as well and would be 100% ok with him. Saw more videos on him and while he does not play a true PF game, he is always driving the net, drawing defenders and has good vision to make a play to his open teammates. He also has a heck of a shot. Does need a bit of work on defensive side but I am hoping that changes as he matures.
Yes, size was my concern with Catton though there is no denying he has elite offensive skills. There would be defenders I would take well before Parekh, but his offensive gifts seem so extraordinary and he makes everything look so easy that I would not complain in the least if he is our pick. The way things are going we might have better players still available when our turn comes, though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, size was my concern with Catton though there is no denying he has elite offensive skills. There would be defenders I would take well before Parekh, but his offensive gifts seem so extraordinary and he makes everything look so easy that I would not complain in the least if he is our pick. The way things are going we might have better players still available when our turn comes, though.

Catton apparently played through a hip injury and won't be available for the U18s because of that.

On the one hand, it's another strike against a smaller player, we're already wondering if he'll be able to physically handle the pros.

On the other, he was that damn good with a hip injury?

• Haha
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd be really surprised if Eiserman drops out of the Top Ten. He's going to be too shiny a bauble to pass up for some GM. However, I would be even more surprised, dumbfounded actually, if Francis turns out to be that GM.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Assuming we end up picking at 9, you really think someone grabs Iginla before then? The one team I can see being aggressive on him is Calgary, who are likely to pick right before us. Can you see any other team going for him before us?
Calgary might be conflicted as Yakemchuk plays for Calgary in the WHL. Either way I would hope we pick before the Flames.

Speaking of Yakemchuk, who I hope we get, his stock seems to be rising at a rapid rate. Too rapid for us. I bet he makes the biggest jump in Bob Mackenzie's final draft rankings (currently #12) and goes in the top six at the draft.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Calgary might be conflicted as Yakemchuk plays for Calgary in the WHL. Either way I would hope we pick before the Flames.

Speaking of Yakemchuk, who I hope we get, his stock seems to be rising at a rapid rate. Too rapid for us. I bet he makes the biggest jump in Bob Mackenzie's final draft rankings (currently #12) and goes in the top six at the draft.
I have been high on Yakemchuk for a bit and won't be surprised if he goes before our pick. But we have some pretty good choices. I expect us to have no chance at:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Parekh
Buium

Beyond that, I honestly don't know how things go. Assuming we pick 9th, my choices in no specific order:

Demidov
Yakemchuk
Helenius
Catton
Iginla
Dickinson

I would easily add Lindstrom to that list but I am a little wary about back injuries.

Wishful thinking but I would be thrilled if Francis moves Gourde at the draft for a late 1st round pick and can grab someone like Pulkkinen, assuming he is still available.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Tomorrow is going to be a big day for us. A loss in regulation guarantees at least picking at #9. Our RW is guaranteed to be lower than both the Devils and Flames. So in case we are tied for points, we are going to be picking before them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Konsta Helenius is really good.

It's often said about him that he is "a guaranteed 2C, but that's also his ceiling". But I've seen players beat their supposed ceiling before.

We don't really have a great need at center but this guy might also be the best forward available in that 8-10 area. Catton's hips and Lindstrom's back, and which is the real Iginla? So many of the forwards have big question marks. And Helenius is playing at a higher level than any of them.

I will admit that he looks like a Kraken player - 5'11 hard skating determined two-way guy without eye popping skill - and I don't know if that's what I want for the Kraken.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

It's often said about him that he is "a guaranteed 2C, but that's also his ceiling". But I've seen players beat their supposed ceiling before.

We don't really have a great need at center but this guy might also be the best forward available in that 8-10 area. Catton's hips and Lindstrom's back, and which is the real Iginla? So many of the forwards have big question marks. And Helenius is playing at a higher level than any of them.

I will admit that he looks like a Kraken player - 5'11 hard skating determined two-way guy without eye popping skill - and I don't know if that's what I want for the Kraken.

No matter who we pick will have some "issues". That being said, I would prefer going for a lower floor and higher ceiling.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
No matter who we pick will have some "issues". That being said, I would prefer going for a lower floor and higher ceiling.

Yeah, unless we win the lottery there'll be question marks with all those kids.
And if we draft one of those defenseman we're also guaranteed to be at least two years away from that kid making any kind of impact on the Kraken.

Anyways, let's just go BPA and swing for the fences.

BTw: Scouching has a new video out. It's about if you should be spooked about those prospects and it includes Eiserman and Parekh.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

More eye-popping skill please( minus Eiserman, of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad